Author Topic: Bargain Time  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Bargain Time
« on: December 27, 2007, 08:43:43 AM »
So the hot news from the High Street is that "Traders" say it's not such a bad Christmas after all as people are "flocking to snap up bargains in the Sales where prices are reduced by as much as 70%".

I dunno 'bout you lot but to me this demonstrates the rank profiteering that took place in the weeks and days leading up to Christmas.

And the Wii shortage? There are, I am told, "hundreds on ebay at up to three times the retail price". My search revealed 1082 items offered under the heading Nintendo Wii consoles

I know New Year sales are a traditional way of clearing out surplus stock (AKA Misscalculations by the buying department) but with each passing year I feel more and more that someone is taking the p*ss ~ or am I just getting cynical in my old age? evil:

Wenchy, Miss D, Pussy Galore and LL ~ being female ~ are excused from this thread as we all know that they will happily spend £500 in a sale and justify it as "A bargain, that SAVED me £150" when, in fact, it was something that they would never normally have bought and certainly do not need. We, the men here, accept that this is a genetic malfunction that they cannot help. surrender:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:09:08 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Bargain Time
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:15:10 AM »
I’ve always thought that about ‘sales’ – it really does show just how much profit they are making on all that shite. Mind you, given that most of the designer clothes and other such crap are made by Chinese slave workers on 2p every six months they still make a vast amount…

The MD of John Lewis was on the wireless this morning – he says they had a good crimble and sold (among other things of course) seven ipods every minute (was that right?   rubschin:  ). The electronics, games, technology market is truly a staggering thing…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »

Wenchy, Miss D, Pussy Galore and LL ~ being female ~ are excused from this thread as we all know that they will happily spend £500 in a sale and justify it as "A bargain, that SAVED me £150" when, in fact, it was something that they would never normally have bought and certainly do not need. We, the men here, accept that this is a genetic malfunction that they cannot help. surrender:

Hear, hear!  Mrs TMR fervently tried to persuade me to go Next with her as "we will save a fortune". I reminded her that we don't need any more clothes - in fact we have just given loads to the local charity shops - there was a bit of mumbling with the words "miserable sod" thrown in a few times and then she agreed that we would be better offf spending the vouchers on things that we actually need...http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/paintball-panzer/index.html

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »

Hear, hear!  Mrs TMR fervently tried to persuade me to go Next with her as "we will save a fortune". I reminded her that we don't need any more clothes - in fact we have just given loads to the local charity shops - there was a bit of mumbling with the words "miserable sod" thrown in a few times and then she agreed that we would be better offf spending the vouchers on things that we actually need...http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/paintball-panzer/index.html
eeek: then  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
...and I believe there have been fights/riots in the Next in Oxford Street. Dear oh dear....

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »
...and I believe there have been fights/riots in the Next in Oxford Street. Dear oh dear....
[snigger]  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »
Still, it could be worse, at least no major political fugures have been killed recently...oh, hang on...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7161590.stm

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »
Errrrrrrrrr............... http://www.virtual-pub.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2454.0

Sorry Snoops - my connectivity still is extremely slow at work and, being a bit lazy, only open an internet session for the Saloon, Snug and Computer Room. Unreserved apologies.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
You are back at work!!?? eeek:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 03:23:51 PM »

Of course, why ?

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
Nuffink. It's still Christmas here for about another 10 days.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Sour Puss

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
I don't need to be excused from this thread.  angry041: I don't do SALES, at all ever.  I don't do spending large amounts of money on rubbish I do not need. I guess I may be a tad unusual, but I don't enjoy any kind of shopping at all.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »

Of course, why ?

Such devotion to duty is admirable ~ specially as you say they are about to make you redundant.  eeek:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 03:34:42 PM »
Nuffink. It's still Christmas here for about another 10 days.

The office is at about one third capacity - so only 100 fu*kwit users to look after. It is a haven of peace and I can do all the little jobs that I have been putting off for ages. Plus, "hours as required"...hence about 30 minutes to go...