Author Topic: Garga returns  (Read 18820 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Garga returns
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
I have never been to Basingstoke ;D
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
Lucky ol' Basingstoke then...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
I was born near Basingstoke.
happy100

And am very proud to have been born in Odiham ~ a delightful Georgian Town with a history that goes back into the mists of time. Unfortunately it is now the dwelling pace of a lot of hobbledehoys from Sarf London who have, IMHO, ruined it.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »
Lucky ol' Basingstoke then...  whistle:

evil:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »

Odd that as I assumed this was you  ;)

garga

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
OK.  Just want to know the name of any traditional little villages that would be nice to visit.

Templos is a village in the Kyrenia district in Cyprus, thought to be named by the Knights Templar.

Kormacit (Kormatiki) Maronite village in North.
Visit below link to get more information about north.

http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/people/cypmaronites/index.html

İnteresting place to visit:Büyük Han.
It is in Nicosia
www.buyukhan-art.com

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »
OK.  Just want to know the name of any traditional little villages that would be nice to visit.
Basingstoke...
Some of us experience passing through Blazingsmoke village twice a day. Shall I send you a postcard?

Our local church

I used to live there...  whistle:

Small world. Congratulations on your escape
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
happy100

And am very proud to have been born in Odiham ~ a delightful Georgian Town with a history that goes back into the mists of time. Unfortunately it is now the dwelling pace of a lot of hobbledehoys from Sarf London who have, IMHO, ruined it.

A great little town, nice countryside and outlying villages. You mentioned the RAF in another post, were you based there?
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »
happy100

A great little town, nice countryside and outlying villages. You mentioned the RAF in another post, were you based there?

"Based" yes, that would be it.  whistle:

I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »
happy100

No, applied for a posting there once but in true RAF fashion was sent somewhere else.
Actually my coming from Odiham was because My Grandmother and her family (for a couple of hundred years back) came from there. When she married the old gal moved to Southampton, where my Mother was born. They got bombed out during WWII and moved back to Odiham. My father was a Southampton lad, had met mother before she moved and kept in touch with her during his Army service. They married in Odiham and I was born there (contrary to popular myth 11 months AFTER the wedding) We moved back to Southampton when I was four.

Offline Nick

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
The first sentence of Ackerley's autobiography reads, from memory, "I was born in 1897 and my parents married in 1915." eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
 lol:

Reminds me of an old Tommy Cooper gag "I was born at an early age"

garga

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2008, 11:20:10 AM »

Templos is a village in the Kyrenia district in Cyprus, thought to be named by the Knights Templar.

Kormacit (Kormatiki) Maronite village in North.
Visit below link to get more information about north.

http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/people/cypmaronites/index.html

İnteresting place to visit:Büyük Han.
It is in Nicosia
www.buyukhan-art.com

Drywhite Wine.

here is the information for u about BÜYÜK HAN and rest of the places in northern Nicosia can be read from below link.
http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~durduran/drnic1.html
THE BÜYÜK KHAN
This is a sixteenth century inn, the name meaning, BIG INN. It is situated in Asmalti street and is classified by the Department of Antiquities as an ancient building. Fig. 10 is a view of the khan from the rear, and so much of its appearance is like a gr im fortress, that in the old colonial days, the British used this khan as Nicosia Central Prison. Windows were always high up, and small because of marauders (rich merchants at the inn were inevitably a source of great temptation) and in the Middle Ages, glass was very expensive. In the interior courtyard is a picturesque octagonal tower used for prayers and is therefore a miniature mosque or mesdjit, with a picturesque fountain below. Around the court and downstairs are the stables, while the merchants had their bedrooms upstairs. Notice in fig. I0, the curious octagonal chimneys; perhaps guests were allowed to have small charcoal braziers in their rooms. In all, about 67 people were accommodated, but without hot water, t.v. or electric blankets. The main entrance to the Büyük Khan is in Asmalti Street, but you would hardly notice it, as it is so cluttered u p with shops and stalls. This inn was built about 1570 A.D. by Muzaffer Pasha, so ít is not a mediaeval building. Ifyou really want to see mediaeval inns, you must go to Tripoli in Lebanon, while in the old Persian towns of Isfahan and Shiraz you can actu ally see the old customs lingering on. "Caravans" come into the khan yard at night, cook their meals in the open, wash, pray and "bed" down the donkeys for the night. That's the place for a t.v. documentary film. For some time the Büyük Khan was used as a builders' yard, but now all this paraphernalia has been removed and the khan awaits restoration.

Good news HAN has restored now.İ was there , yesterday.

Offline Nick

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
"Caravans" come into the khan yard at night, cook their meals in the open, wash, pray and "bed" down the donkeys for the night.

Why the inverted commas? eeek:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »
"Caravans" come into the khan yard at night, cook their meals in the open, wash, pray and "bed" down the donkeys for the night.

Why the inverted commas? eeek:

Best not to ask. . .
I mostly despair