Author Topic: Chicken Run.  (Read 6381 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Chicken Run.
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »
Over the last three nights, this look into the pros and (mainly) cons of free range vs. battery chicken farming has been aired on Channel 4, with Hugh Fearnley-Wotsit at the helm.

It has provoked quite a debate - not only in my office but also in other places, including the other place.

I'll start the ball rolling...

Quote by someone else:

I can just imaging the outcry if the price of meat suddenly went up 3 or 4 fold, which is the reality if we wanted to achieve the idealistic farming methods some of you lot are carping about.

Response:

Is this really such a bad thing? Those of us who can afford it through have a decent income ~ either through a decent education and job, or by sheer hard graft ~ will continue to enjoy it. We have earned the money and it is our choice.

The feckless, velour track-suited wastrels reliant on government handouts (sorry, my taxes) will therefore have to make a choice; do I spend my money on another packet of Lambert & Butler (about the same price as a free range chicken) or do I wish to enjoy a nice bit of chicken? If I choose the snouts, can I live on cheap pasta and sauces? Or should I think about eating more vegetables? And if the price of meat goes up, how much will a McDonalds meal go up to? And KFC?

Hopefully. the price of proper meat will eventually become prohibitive and they will be forced to eat solely vegetables and pulses. In the majority of cases, this can only be a good thing.

I have yet to see a scrawny benefit-hound. The reason they buy two chickens for a fiver is purely that it allows them to shovel more food down their fat gobs. They care not for taste or quality and it leaves extra cash for crisps, a bit of blow and some cans of Kestrel Super.

Custards. All of them.

Berek

Re: Chicken Run.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »
I think the fat tongued c*nt is a hyporite for slagging Sainsburys off because of their chicken yet advertising their farmed Salmon and lining his pockets with their cash

try something different today...shop elsewhere

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
Nothing to debate IMO.
Either you want to buy chicken that tastes of something or you don't.
HFW, J Oliver & co all enjoy £1m plus incomes (not capital note but Incomes) per annum all earned by keeping their names in the headlines SO I take no notice of their carping but neither do I approve of some obviously cruel methods of farming.
You want free range chooks ~ get an allotment.
You wanna buy from Tesco ~ you have the choice.

Having been forced to take retirement at the age of 50 I do depend to some degree on benefits and I fvcking object to people assuming that I wear velour, am overweight, lazy and scrounging. I hope that none of those who do make these sweeping generalisations are never handicapped as I have been but if any of you are please forgive me if I laugh, loud and long as you struggle, without option, to survive.

I am now going off in a huff
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:58:53 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
Nothing to debate IMO.
HFW, J Oliver & co all enjoy £1m plus incomes (not capital note but Incomes) per annum all earned by keeping their names in the headlines SO I take no notice of their carping but neither do I approve of some obviously cruel methods of farming.

Having been forced to take retirement at the age of 50 I do depend to some degree on benefits and I fvcking object to people assuming that I wear velour, am overweight, lazy and scrounging. I hope that none of those who do make these sweeping generalisations are never handicapped as I have been but if any of you are please forgive me if I laugh, loud and long as you struggle, without option, to survive.

Calm down Beagle, it is apparent to all of us that you did not choose to retire and that it was forced on you. None of us would have any beef with that. The generalisation was aimed more towards the vast herds who have never even wanted to work in the first instance.  surrender:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
Nothing to debate IMO.

Calm down Beagle, it is apparent to all of us that you did not choose to retire and that it was forced on you. None of us would have any beef with that. The generalisation was aimed more towards the vast herds who have never even wanted to work in the first instance.  surrender:

All right you smooth talking swine ~ I'll come back ....... I wasn't having a go at you but the generalisations so beloved of some.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
Which is all fine assuming you can afford the more expensive free range chicken. Some actually can't. Now I can afford to and I do and one goes for roast chicken, some sort of leftover meal and soup and stock. However, there have been times that I haven't been able to afford them and I've bought the 2 for a fiver and turned a blind eye to the practices.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
Ever tried chicken with chocolate sauce?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

garga

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »
Ever tried chicken with chocolate sauce?

No thanks,
what kind of stomach you have

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
Yes quite tasty.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:55 PM »
Yes quite tasty.

Did you actually include the chicken?

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
No. redface:

garga

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »
i am very glad , i am learning new things from you .i am enjoying the forum.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »
Which is all fine assuming you can afford the more expensive free range chicken. Some actually can't. Now I can afford to and I do and one goes for roast chicken, some sort of leftover meal and soup and stock. However, there have been times that I haven't been able to afford them and I've bought the 2 for a fiver and turned a blind eye to the practices.

Wenchy - knowing you are a Surrey girl and therefore entirely honest, would the times you couldn't have afforded free range also be the times you were smoking?  rubschin:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »

Wenchy - knowing you are a Surrey girl and therefore entirely honest, would the times you couldn't have afforded free range also be the times you were smoking?  rubschin:

Nope. I'd given up because I couldn't afford it. It was a bare bones existence for a couple of years.