Author Topic: The Quantum of Solace  (Read 23473 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: The Quantum of Solace
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
Dark and edgy seems to ne the Hollywood standard at the moment, some films it works with and some it doesnt. Look at Batman for example, from the Tim Burton version onward the films were a mix of dark and camp but the new reimaging with Christian Bale has meant that you finally have a Batman character that is true to the original concept. Bond should work in the same way as the character in the novels is far darker than has been protrayed (sometimes possibly even borderline sociopathic) but it may take longer to be accepted as people are too used to the old Hollywood version. 

Yes but Christian Bale's Batman still has the batmobile, the cape, gadgets etc. They haven't inherently changed it for changes sake. It is still recognisable as Batman. Where as if Bond weren't called Bond and there wasn't that tedious martini exchange in the middle you wouldn't know Quantum of Solace from any other action film.

Yes but the Batmobile and the gadgets were always a part of Batman right from the start. As for the Martini I seem to remember something about him drinking scotch in the books, although I havent read them since I was a kid so I could be mistaken.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
This film is beginning to sound very missable.

Noooooooooooooooo

I have seen every Bond film as soon as it came out since my Dad took me to see Dr No in 1962. cloud9:

Tradition, innit?

It is in mine and Mr Wench's families too, however, I shan't be going to see the next one unless there is some sort of change. It shall be my own tiny mini protest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »

Well I certainly will wait for it to pop up on TV when I can watch it without wasting good money. whistle:

If you are an action film fan it is certainly worth going. The big set pieces are incredible on the big screen. However, if you aren't bothered about that then yeah, dvd far better.

TBH I don't much enjoy the cinema. Not enough leg room, sound far too loud and cretins in the seats all around me.

Used to like going to the pictures but somehow it lost its appeal for me when they got rid of the Pathe Newsreels, the cartons and the second feature.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
Dark and edgy seems to ne the Hollywood standard at the moment, some films it works with and some it doesnt. Look at Batman for example, from the Tim Burton version onward the films were a mix of dark and camp but the new reimaging with Christian Bale has meant that you finally have a Batman character that is true to the original concept. Bond should work in the same way as the character in the novels is far darker than has been protrayed (sometimes possibly even borderline sociopathic) but it may take longer to be accepted as people are too used to the old Hollywood version. 

Yes but Christian Bale's Batman still has the batmobile, the cape, gadgets etc. They haven't inherently changed it for changes sake. It is still recognisable as Batman. Where as if Bond weren't called Bond and there wasn't that tedious martini exchange in the middle you wouldn't know Quantum of Solace from any other action film.

Yes but the Batmobile and the gadgets were always a part of Batman right from the start. As for the Martini I seem to remember something about him drinking scotch in the books, although I havent read them since I was a kid so I could be mistaken.

Which is fine if you are still viewing the films as an extension of the books but I am arguing that the films are now stand alone and something quite different from the original books. There has been so many films in the old style that I believe the tradition of breakaway had been given precedence.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »

Well I certainly will wait for it to pop up on TV when I can watch it without wasting good money. whistle:

If you are an action film fan it is certainly worth going. The big set pieces are incredible on the big screen. However, if you aren't bothered about that then yeah, dvd far better.

TBH I don't much enjoy the cinema. Not enough leg room, sound far too loud and cretins in the seats all around me.

Used to like going to the pictures but somehow it lost its appeal for me when they got rid of the Pathe Newsreels, the cartons and the second feature.

Which is part of the reason why Mr Wench and I went early and bought the extra legroom, arse space seats.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »

Noooooooooooooooo

I have seen every Bond film as soon as it came out since my Dad took me to see Dr No in 1962. cloud9:

Tradition, innit?

Last film I saw with me Dad was "Cockleshell Heroes" in 1955 ~ Good War Movie.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »

I shall still go and see it though. But I will go to the 'Directors Lounge' thingy with the massive seats, beer and no adverts experience. I like a good action film. I watched 'wanted' at the weekend which was of a similar ilk.

However, being plastered at the time i was a bit too vocal about the charms of Ms Jolie. Mrs TG was not happy.  scared2:
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2008, 12:54:39 PM »

Which is part of the reason why Mr Wench and I went early and bought the extra legroom, arse space seats.

And where do you think I would find such luxuries in North Wales?  ::)

BBC Radio One Road Show a few years back came from Chester and the DJ (Can't remember who) asked a couple of local girls, on air, what they did for a good night out ~ the answer "Go to Liverpool"

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »

Noooooooooooooooo

Tradition, innit?

It is in mine and Mr Wench's families too, however, I shan't be going to see the next one unless there is some sort of change. It shall be my own tiny mini protest.

Worrabout Daniel Craig in trunks eh?  eyes:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »

Noooooooooooooooo

Tradition, innit?

I think that may have been why I wasn't so fussed about the last one.  redface: Daniel Craig was fully clothed throughout this one and so I paid more attention.  redface:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »

Noooooooooooooooo

Tradition, innit?

I think that may have been why I wasn't so fussed about the last one.  redface: Daniel Craig was fully clothed throughout this one and so I paid more attention.  redface:

Well the trunks/contents obviously caught Nick's attention anyway.  eeek:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »
And where do you think I would find such luxuries in North Wales?  ::)

The probably do exist there but the road signs make absolutely bugger all sense to the locals...

For those who cant read welsh the translation is "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

point:

I was right, the mourning period for David Tennant is well and truely over...  point:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »
 worthy:

All of you for a fine film critique.

I have enjoyed and understood few films since "Lawrence of Arabia"  or "Bambi".
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
Well I'm hoping that there are some BBC execs who read this site and are on the lookout for a Ross replacement for Film 2008.  whistle:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
Wenchy prefers Bond with no clothes on, hence her disappointment. noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile