Author Topic: January 31st  (Read 942 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
January 31st
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:09:13 AM »
Just paid my income tax noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
Re: January 31st
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »
Just paid my income tax noooo:

Just got a refund -  lol:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
 evil: Deducted at source from pension. Does not please me at all as I have to fight for a rebate every year.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline barmisspah?

• Fool Member
    • Photobucket
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:43 AM »
I see from another of Nicks threads that Miles Kington had, as he so eloquently put it, snuffed it. Never having heard of Miles Kington I googled him (it didn't hurt honest) & found this article wot he wrote.

Q. Why is the end of the tax year in January?

A. It isn't. It's in April.

Q. Oh. So, why is the end of the tax year in April?

A. It isn't. It's in December.

Q. It cannot be at the end of all those months!

A. Oh yes, it can!

Q. Oh, no, it can't ... No. hold on, we seem to have got on to the end of the pantomime year!

A. It can be at the end of any month you like, especially if you are doing "Humpty Dumpty". It all depends which tax system you were working under. It depends in which month your tax details were stolen. It depends in which month your private and personal tax details were left on a laptop computer in the back of an unlocked car somewhere in the north-East of England. It depends what country you come from ...

Q. How can your nationality make a difference to your tax declaration?

A. Well, I don't know if you were watching the men's final of the Australian Tennis Open the other day ...

Q. At the weekend? Where the new young French star Jo-Wilfried Tsonga came from nowhere and damned near beat the new young Serbian star Novak Djokovic?

A. That's the one. Well, I don't know what your initial reaction to the match was ...

Q. Oh, I do. I thought to myself: When was the last time anyone called Novak faced anyone called Jo-Wilfried in a big tennis match anywhere?

A. Was it? Well, mine wasn't. My initial reaction was to notice that Djokovic's first reaction was to throw his racquet into the crowd.

Q. Yes, I noticed that too. Blimey, I thought – someone's going to get hurt here! These modern racquets are cutting-edge technology – and when I say "cutting edge", I mean "cutting edge"! Wham! Someone's head goes flying! Is that what you meant?

A. Well, no, not really. What I thought was: Hello, I wonder if the Serbian tax declaration year ends in January?

Q. January?

A. Yes.

Q. Why?

A. Because it would be the best time to discard your surplus racquets and to get the moment recorded on film! I don't know if you noticed but he didn't just discard one racquet – he threw away any racquet he could lay his hands on! Wham! Hundreds of pounds worth! Into the crowd!

Q. Hmmmmm ... Is that a legitimate expense, to throw away the tools of your trade?

A. Oh, yes, for publicity purposes, I am sure it is. I bet that before he went out for the final, Djokovic's coach had a little whisper in his ear and said: "Now, whether you win or lose, and I am sure we all hope you win, the one important thing to remember at the end is to chuck anything you find under your chair into the crowd! For tax reasons!'

Q. That's ridiculous!

A. Of course it is. All tax regulations are ridiculous. That's why Peter Hain waited until the end of January to resign.

Q. I'm sorry?

A. No, you're not. Nobody is sorry about Peter Hain resigning. Except Peter Hain's tax accountant.

Q. I'm sorry?

A. Obviously, they discovered that from a tax point of view that it would be advantageous if Peter Hain held on as close as possible to the end of the month before resigning in order to get all the tax advantages from his fund collecting for his campaign to become deputy leader of the Labour Party. So at least the accountant would come out of it all quite well.

Q. Why?

A. Well, he might not have got it all on film, as Djokovic did with his scattering racquets into the crowd, but at least he got it all in the papers, all duly signed and dated and recorded. No one ever mentioned the real reason, of course. When the headlines demanded to know why Peter Hain did not resign, his accountant never said: "For tax reasons, of course! Now leave the poor boy alone!"

Q. Well, it sort of makes sense ...

Today we have dealt with the Serbian tax year, and with Peter Hain. Tomorrow, with everyone else.

I wish I'd heard of him sooner
I couldn't ask for better friends. I could ask for more NORMAL friends, but not better ones.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »
Nick did you send in your details via the website by any chance?

Something tells me there is no chance of them giving an extension, after all they can claim that they should have done it sooner so they can get all those lovely fines off the poor buggers caught out.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has confirmed that its self assessment website is temporarily unavailable.
Tax payers have until midnight on Thursday to file their income tax returns, and pay any tax due, or they will have to pay a fine plus interest.

HMRC said it apologised "for any inconvenience caused", and added it was working to restore the service "as soon as possible".

More than 150,000 people filed their tax return on 31 January last year.

An HMRC spokesman confirmed the service had gone down "at some point on Thursday morning", although he could not say what had caused the problem.

"The self assessment online system is temporarily unavailable", he said.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused, and are working to restore the service as soon as possible."

The BBC has been deluged with complaints from taxpayers who have found themselves unable to log in to the system.

Edward Buxton from Nuneaton has spent the morning trying to file returns on behalf of himself and his wife.

"I first logged in at about 9.00 this morning, after the school run - I must have kept pressing refresh for about an hour; then I gave up," he said.

"I have been trying on and off since. Once I got a message from HMRC saying that they are aware of the problem. but most of the time the message just says something along the lines of 'the server has no idea what the page is you are trying to access'.

"That doesn't give you great confidence," he added.

Clients

Chris Kirby is an accountant based in Redcar in North Yorkshire.

He is trying to file returns on behalf of six clients.

He said the problem first arose at about 4pm on Wednesday afternoon, after which the website "pretty much crashed".

He has not managed to get onto the system since. He said that when he first contacted the helpline, they denied anything was wrong.

Eventually staff told him the problem was down to "too many people trying to log on".

"One person on the helpline was quite rude, and said 'It's your own fault for leaving it to the last minute'," he said.

But it is not uncommon for clients to find they cannot submit their information until just before the deadline, he said, and he believed HMRC should be able to cope.

"They should have had not just sufficient capacity but spare capacity to deal with the peaks they should have known they were likely to get today," he said.

His clients now faced the automatic £100 fine for non-submission which he would then have to appeal on their behalf.

"Really, it's just not good enough for a public body," he added.

Extension

Chas Roy-Chowdhury, head of tax at the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), said HMRC should consider pushing back the cut off point.

"If the Revenue's IT systems have crashed, then they need to extend the deadline. They need to be pragmatic."

If the problem continued for a few hours, he said the deadline should be pushed to Monday.

He said this would encourage people to use the online system in future years.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »
My accountant filed my return 2 weeks ago. I used the pay facility today.

I trust it works. I have the evidence evil:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
Ooops!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7219718.stm

The cynic in me would say this was deliberate to rake in some fines...

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
I imagine they lost the website in the post noooo:

They have already written and apologised to me (and 25 million other people) for their last f*** up noooo: