Disgusterous

Author Topic: An irritating conundrum  (Read 480 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
An irritating conundrum
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
I recently tendered for a piece of work. The tender was not awarded to anyone and the Quango in question decided to do the job "internally". I have just been called by the internal person who has asked for a long telephone conversation with me to "pick my brains" for no fee!!

Bloody cheek!! cussing:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: An irritating conundrum
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:37:29 AM »
No conundrum there then – tell him to piss off…  Angry9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
I have done. I now discover from my sources that they have sub-contracted the project (using a secondment) to the effing Grauniad!!!

Perhaps they can pick my brains. I could sabotage this nicely evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
Send a bill for "Consultation".

I had this done to me by the MOD some years ago. Was  "selected" to tender for a job which was so poorly defined that I had to write the technical tender spec myself. They then rejected my tender but used my spec to go out to a full tender. I sent in an invoice for "Tender Specification Consultancy Fees" and they paid it eeek:
Six months later my company was awarded the contract.

I figured that, dealing with the MOD, they have no idea what they are doing and are so large that everyone assumes that some other department was handling the matter. This is a rule of thumb learned many moons ago in the RAF where many idiotic actions went unquestioned because those who would and should have asked the obvious "Why" could not bring themselves to so do in case someone of a higher rank had given the original order.

Reminds me of a story about a doctor and a lawyer talking at a party.
The doctor was complaining that when ever anyone found out what he did for a living they would ask his opinion about their latest aches and pains. The lawyer agreed that he had the same problem in that people, on hearing that he was a lawyer, would ask for legal advice. "And how do you deal with this?" asked the doctor. "Easy" said the lawyer "The day after the party I send them a bill for legal opinion". "Hey that's great" said the doctor "Thank you so much, I'll try that myself"
Two days later the doctor was surprised to receive a bill for $500 for "legal advice"
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.