Author Topic: Punxsutawney Phil  (Read 579 times)

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Punxsutawney Phil
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »
I'm sorry, he isnt saying the winter will last six more weeks, its obvious he's telling everybody to bugger off and leave him alone.

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - America's most famous groundhog emerged from his burrow early on Saturday and declared that winter will last another six weeks.

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow shortly before 12:30 p.m. British time to the cheers of more than 30,000 people from as far away as Alaska and Texas, one of the largest crowds in the 122-year history of the event in the central Pennsylvania town of Punxsutawney.

The rodent was taken out of a tree stump on a hill called Gobbler's Knob, and delivered his prognostication to William Cooper, President of Punxsutawney's Inner Circle, who organizers say is the only person in the world who can speak "groundhog-ese."

Does that look like a happy groundhog to anyone? Or how about this one:

"Come on, just a little bit closer and I'll teach this arse to stop waking me up when it bloody cold outside"

According to the tradition that may have links with the European festival of Candlemas, if the groundhog sees his shadow, it will mean six more weeks of winter. If not, there will be an early spring.

Cooper read a scroll containing the groundhog's prediction. It said: "As I look around me, a bright sky I see, and a shadow beside me. Six more weeks of winter it will be."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Punxsutawney Phil
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
Groundhog Day  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
Not too happy for the groundhog though. Imagine being woken up and the first thing you see is this

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:10 AM »
Where did you find that pic of Mrs Nick in her cosy pyjamas?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »
Nice jimmies but Mrs Nick could certainly do with a manicure.  ;)

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
Protective clothing required for that. Where is the anaesthetic dart gun when you need it, eh?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile