Author Topic: Mosquito's 'not fair'  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Mosquito's 'not fair'
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »
So let me get this straight, a device that was invented because people were sick of gangs of feral youths running rampant is being targetted by civil liberties groups groups because it is 'unfair'? What about the people who have been victims of these scrotes in teh first place, would you say that their human rights have been breached.

Tell you what, we'll consider getting rid of the devices when you come up with a workable way of keeping those scrotes under control.

A high-pitched device used to disperse teenagers is being challenged by campaigners, who say it is not a fair way to treat young people.
There are estimated to be 3,500 of the devices, known as the mosquito, in use across the country.

Their sound causes discomfort to young ears - but their frequency is above the normal hearing range of people over 25.

The Children's Commissioner for England says they should be scrapped as they infringe the rights of young people.

Negative views

The devices have proved popular with councils and police who use them to disperse groups of youths engaged in anti-social behaviour.

But a new campaign called "Buzz off", led by the Children's Commissioner for England and backed by groups including civil liberties group Liberty, is calling for them to be scrapped.

The organisations want to highlight what they call the "increasingly negative" way society views and deals with children and young people.

Sir Al Aynsley-Green, Children's Commissioner for England, said he had spoken to many young people who had been "deeply affected" by the deterrents.

He said: "These devices are indiscriminate and target all children and young people, including babies, regardless of whether they are behaving or misbehaving.

What type of society uses a low-level sonic weapon on its children?

Shami Chakrabarti
Liberty

"The use of measures such as these are simply demonising children and young people, creating a dangerous and widening divide between the young and the old."

He also argued that such an approach was "not addressing the root cause" of anti-social behaviour.

Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti said the device had no place in a country which values its children.

"What type of society uses a low-level sonic weapon on its children? Imagine the outcry if a device was introduced that caused blanket discomfort to people of one race or gender, rather than to our kids," she said.

The mosquito's inventor, Howard Stapleton, previously told the BBC the device was proven to be effective.

He said: "As a father I realise the majority of young people are fun-loving and law abiding.

"I find it sad that a system is needed to combat lawlessness, but its proven effectiveness shows how much it is needed to improve our communities."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Tinkerbell

Re: Mosquito's 'not fair'
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:54:33 AM »
You have my vote... even though I can hear these things...and the alarm infra-red thingies... and the old man's hearing aid....AND I saw 23 twice, a long time ago....heading for third time round!!!! Obviously my 23yr 'switch' which should render me unable to hear 'aint working (along with other things, not so adventageous!)  rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »
Personally I feel the sound of a 12 bore being shot in their direction would get rid of the little sods. eveilgrin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »
The only drawback with that is the rather large chance they would pull out their own guns and return fire Snoops.  noooo:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
Bring back Dirty Harry. evil:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »
What about Sam Torrance instead, this could have possibilities:

http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm

You could use pavlovian response then, just the sound of someone yelling "FORE" could scare the hell out of the little scrotes...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:04 AM »
 eeek:  I doubt that any of them can count about two.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
True but I like the idea of them being chased round by armed and dangerous pro golfers... 

Berek

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
Our local CO-OP has one of those mosquito things, it certainly does the trick.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »

Berek

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:27 PM »
its their human rights innit though..

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
I can see a way of fixing 2 problems easily here. Bring back a form of national service for these feral yobs. A couple of years in uniform having to patrol some unfriendly backwater should be enough to sort these yobs out and give the armed forces extra manpower at the same time.

Berek

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
I can see a way of fixing 2 problems easily here. Bring back a form of national service for these feral yobs. A couple of years in uniform having to patrol some unfriendly backwater should be enough to sort these yobs out and give the armed forces extra manpower at the same time.

and jail Shami

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »
She doesnt need to be jailed Berek, she just needs to spend some time away from her ivory tower and live with the normal folk for a while to see what life here is really like without the rose tinted blinders.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
I still would whistle: