Disgusterous

Author Topic: Baby bible bashers  (Read 752 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Baby bible bashers
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
Watched this program last night out of curisity and was horrified. Childhood should be about enjoying yourself, not being forced into evangelical preaching because you've been told that if you dont obay your parents you ae going to hell. Surely this classes as some kind of abuse.

Samuel Boutwell is a seven-year-old preacher. He takes his vocation to save sinners from rotting in eternal hell extremely seriously.
Most Saturdays he stands in front of his local abortion clinic in Jackson, Mississippi and, bible in hand, bellows:

'Don't kill your child! Repent! God loves the little children!'.

This poor little bugger gets dragged from evangelical hick town in Mississippi to New York where he ends up absoltuely terrified when the locals decide that they dont like his fathers bigoted outlook.

Baby Bible Bashers follows the extraordinary stories of three of the Lord's 'chosen children', and their relationships with God, their families and their congregations.

In addition to Samuel, we meet nine-year-old Florida firebrand Terry Durham, who likes nothing more than to don his oversize blue suit and alligator shoes, and whip the crowd into a frenzy. Terry holds the honour of having been the world's youngest ordained minister at just six.

A nine year old who's father has a plan to have him in a newly built million dollar church preaching to 30,000 people by the time he is 11. My cynicism was increased after his gran explained that he left Terry with her to look after him and was later brought back in to be his 'manager'.

Brazilian sensation Ana Carolina Dias began preaching at just three years of age and regularly commands TV audiences of millions. Her mission: to save the hardened gang members and drug dealers of Rio's shantytowns.

This film by BAFTA award-winning director Amelia Hann, follows these pint-size preachers as they go about their missionary work spreading the word to 'drunkards, adulterers and thieves' and uncovers the unsettling and often disturbing truth behind child evangelism.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Baby bible bashers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »
It's in America ~ waddya expect?

Although there is historic precendence in the UK if you look back to the "Temperance" days when children were asked to "Sign the Pledge" and speak out against drunkeness etc.
My Great Great Grandfather (born 1804) was a lay preacher of a sect called the "Bible Christians" a strictly no drink, no swearing, no fun and no work on Sundays breakaway group from the Weslyan Methodists. He helped build their chapel in Southampton and despite being unable to read and write preached there and as a guest preacher all over the area for many years. All his Children and Grandchildren signed the "Pledge", distributed tracts and "spoke out" at Sunday School etc.

It would seem that not much has changed in the USA since the 1800s. ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »
It didn't rub off on you then?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »
It's in America ~ waddya expect?

Although there is historic precendence in the UK if you look back to the "Temperance" days when children were asked to "Sign the Pledge" and speak out against drunkeness etc.
My Great Great Grandfather (born 1804) was a lay preacher of a sect called the "Bible Christians" a strictly no drink, no swearing, no fun and no work on Sundays breakaway group from the Weslyan Methodists. He helped build their chapel in Southampton and despite being unable to read and write preached there and as a guest preacher all over the area for many years. All his Children and Grandchildren signed the "Pledge", distributed tracts and "spoke out" at Sunday School etc.

It would seem that not much has changed in the USA since the 1800s. ::)

There is a hell of a difference between speaking out at Sunday School and having to walk up to strangers in the middle of Central PArk trying to 'convert' them. The poor was even worried that someone would pull out a gun in front of him when he was on the way up for crying out loud.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:05:17 PM »
It didn't rub off on you then?  whistle:

Errrrr ..... Not really ~ no.

I mean "I believe" in a loose, non-conformist way because I was brought up to but .......... well Y'know shrugs:

I confess to getting a bit pissed off with those who slag off anyone who had faith or believes in God but I certainly do not believe every word of the bible, nor do I think there is a benevolent old guy above the clouds waiting to shower me with blessings. On the other hand I should hate to think that this is all there is.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
I do think that there is more to this but I dont believe that any organised religion has the answer, there has been too much interpretation by people interested only in increasing their own power base over the centuries. Even if one of them is correct I very much dooubt that what is preached now is the original message.