Author Topic: If you are going to be sacked for something..  (Read 847 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
If you are going to be sacked for something..
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:20:40 PM »
make it something impressive.  happ096

A British pilot has been sacked after performing a low-flying stunt with a brand new Boeing 777.
Captain Ian Wilkinson flew the Cathay Pacific plane within 28 feet of the ground with its undercarriage raised, at Boeing's Seattle airfield.

The aircraft was on its delivery flight and packed with the airline's VIPs.

The airline said Capt Wilkinson, 55, had not sought or obtained permission for the fly-by on January 30, and had been dismissed.

The co-pilot, Ray Middleton, has also been "subject to disciplinary actions" - understood to be suspension from training duties for six months.

Internet interest

Pictures of the huge aircraft flying just feet from the ground were posted on websites including YouTube.

There were 69 people on board, including Cathay's UK chairman Chris Pratt.

The airline said: "We can confirm a fly-by event involving the delivery flight of a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft departing from the manufacturer's plant in Seattle on January 30, 2008.

"The airline is conducting an internal investigation into the incident, including the collection of flight data, and interviews with the crew involved."

It had issued a notice to all cockpit crew reminding them of the company's "well-established" approval policy for conducting fly-bys.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: If you are going to be sacked for something..
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:46:19 AM »
Excellent!  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
I'm still trying to decide if he would be sacked for low flying or dangerous driving  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »
Good job his ticker didn't giive out...

Quote from: Cyprus Mail
Cyprus bound plane lands in Turkey after co-pilot dies

A BRITISH pilot with GB Airways died of a heart attack during a flight from Manchester to Cyprus on Sunday.

The aircraft carrying 156 passengers was diverted to Turkey after the captain of the Airbus A320 asked for clearance to land in Istanbul.

The plane, which left the UK at 4.20pm, had been bound for Paphos, but landed in Turkey around 7.45pm.

The co-pilot, named as father-of-two Michael Warren, 41, was pronounced dead on arrival at a Turkish hospital after paramedics who boarded the plane on landing were unable to save him. He had also been given first aid by the aircraft’s purser during the flight, but to no avail.

British media said Warren was due to celebrate his son's fifth birthday yesterday. He had been with GB Airways since August 2005 and previous to that he flew with the RAF.

The passengers, who were unaware of the nature of the medical emergency that forced the plane to divert to Turkey, spent the night in Istanbul and were to be flown to Cyprus yesterday.

An airline spokeswoman said that at no time was the plane, passengers or crew in any danger.

"GB Airways confirms that Sunday’s flight BA 6826 from Manchester to Paphos diverted to Istanbul due to a medical emergency on the flight deck," the spokeswoman said yesterday.

"On landing, it was confirmed that the first officer [co-pilot] had died during the flight. At no time was the aircraft, passengers or crew in any danger.

"The first officer's next of kin have been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with his wife and family following this tragic news."

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008

41  eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
I had my first Heart Attack at the age of 35. Somewhat unexpected. eeek:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »
Good job his ticker didn't giive out...

Quote from: Cyprus Mail
Cyprus bound plane lands in Turkey after co-pilot dies

A BRITISH pilot with GB Airways died of a heart attack during a flight from Manchester to Cyprus on Sunday.

The aircraft carrying 156 passengers was diverted to Turkey after the captain of the Airbus A320 asked for clearance to land in Istanbul.

The plane, which left the UK at 4.20pm, had been bound for Paphos, but landed in Turkey around 7.45pm.

The co-pilot, named as father-of-two Michael Warren, 41, was pronounced dead on arrival at a Turkish hospital after paramedics who boarded the plane on landing were unable to save him. He had also been given first aid by the aircraft’s purser during the flight, but to no avail.

British media said Warren was due to celebrate his son's fifth birthday yesterday. He had been with GB Airways since August 2005 and previous to that he flew with the RAF.

The passengers, who were unaware of the nature of the medical emergency that forced the plane to divert to Turkey, spent the night in Istanbul and were to be flown to Cyprus yesterday.

An airline spokeswoman said that at no time was the plane, passengers or crew in any danger.

"GB Airways confirms that Sunday’s flight BA 6826 from Manchester to Paphos diverted to Istanbul due to a medical emergency on the flight deck," the spokeswoman said yesterday.

"On landing, it was confirmed that the first officer [co-pilot] had died during the flight. At no time was the aircraft, passengers or crew in any danger.

"The first officer's next of kin have been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with his wife and family following this tragic news."

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008

41  eeek:

I'm surprised the pilot didnt have one soon afterwards  eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:25:09 PM »
Nah .... the pilot discovered a renewed faith in God and the value of drycleaning shares.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:40:49 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
I bet it made the Purser's day tho...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:27:37 PM »
Nah .... the pilot dicovered a renewed faith in God and the value of drycleaning shares.

drumroll:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
Can you imagine being a passenger on the plane when the announcement comes over the PA

"Is there a doctor on board the copilot has just had a heart attack"

eeek:

A planeload of dozy chavs beating each other senseless over a knapsack thinking its a parashute...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »
I was once asked by an Army officer as his 90 men boarded an RAF flight to take them to Canada "Where are the parachutes?" I indicated that they were stowed in a small locker at the rear of the driver's cabin. "What .... all of them?" he asked. "Yes Sir" I replied "We only carry a crew of seven"  lol:

On another occasion we were flying some of 2nd Battalion Para back from Germany. As usual every seat had a sick bag in the little pouch in the seat in front. We drew the army's attention to these. As they came off the aircraft at Lyneham I was overjoyed to to hear their RSM telling them to take with them off the aircraft the "Spewbags whether used or not 'cos we don't want these Brylcream boys knowing how many of youse lot are fvcking nancies."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:51:51 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »
I was once asked by an Army officer as his 90 men boarded an RAF flight to take them to Canada "Where are the parachutes?" I indicated that they were stowed in a small locker at the rear of the driver's cabin. "What .... all of them?" he asked. "Yes Sir" I replied "We only carry a crew of seven"  lol:

On another occassion we were flying some of 2nd Battalion Para back from Germany. As usual every seat had a sick bag in the little pouch in the seat in front. We drew the army's attention to these. As they came off the aircraft at Lyneham I was overjoyed to to hear their RSM telling them to take with them off the aircraft the "Spewbags whether used or not 'cos we don't want these Brylcream boys knowing how many of youse lot are fvcking nancies."
lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: