Disgusterous

Author Topic: I Bet This left a few skid marks!  (Read 3828 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: I Bet This left a few skid marks!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/curriculum/lesson_plans/weatherobserving/partc.html

"Wind speed should ideally be measured in a large open space away from buildings etc which could provide shelter or help funnel winds.

Wind speed is measured using an anemometer. This can either be hand held or ideally mounted on a roof top or mast 10 metres above ground. An anemometer is made up of cups attached to handle with a scale on it. The stronger the wind the faster the cups rotate and the higher the reading on the scale. Handheld anemometers should be held at arms length and the values read off from the scale. Several readings should be taken over a couple of minutes and an average taken. The measurement should be made in knots, or if this is not available in miles per hour."

rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
Try telling that to the BBC weathermen  ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »
If it was in a tabloid (or on the BBC) it was prolly how many times faster than a double-decker bus the wind was… 
If it was in the Sun it would be "Knots per hour".

The Guardian would print "konts".  ::)
I mostly despair

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 01:02:09 PM »
Airspeed usually in Knots, Windspeed in UK and US usually in Mph, Windspeed on the Continent usually in Kph.

Note the difference between Windspeed and Airspeed. Windspeed is, as it says, the speed of the wind. Airspeed is the speed of something (in most cases an aircraft) passing through the air.
Bloody hell.. This pub skould get an award from Ofsted

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »
Airspeed usually in Knots, Windspeed in UK and US usually in Mph, Windspeed on the Continent usually in Kph.

Note the difference between Windspeed and Airspeed. Windspeed is, as it says, the speed of the wind. Airspeed is the speed of something (in most cases an aircraft) passing through the air.
Bloody hell.. This pub skould get an award from Ofsted
I was going to apply for one but I couldn't spell it... osfted that is...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/curriculum/lesson_plans/weatherobserving/partc.html

"Wind speed should ideally be measured in a large open space away from buildings etc which could provide shelter or help funnel winds.

Wind speed is measured using an anemometer. This can either be hand held or ideally mounted on a roof top or mast 10 metres above ground. An anemometer is made up of cups attached to handle with a scale on it. The stronger the wind the faster the cups rotate and the higher the reading on the scale. Handheld anemometers should be held at arms length and the values read off from the scale. Several readings should be taken over a couple of minutes and an average taken. The measurement should be made in knots, or if this is not available in miles per hour."

rubschin:

Doh? Excuse me teacher Sir, how come knots are not available then, are they an endangerd species or sumfing?

GOS Junior sinks behind desk awaiting sharp retort.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »

rubschin:

Doh? Excuse me teacher Sir, how come knots are not available then, are they an endangerd species or sumfing?

Only Conservative controlled councils have them now…
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »

rubschin:

BANG (That was a sharp retort)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »

rubschin:

BNAG (that was a Grauniad Retort)
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

rubschin:

BNAG (that was a Grauniad Retort)
drumroll:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
Bizarrely someone from the Grauniad is trying to interview me and wants a call back. scared2:

"Hello, " I shall say, "this is Mr Ncik"
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »
Oooooooooo! Do tell when it is to be published and I'll break the rule of a lifetime (well retirement anyway) and buy a copy. I usually only get the odd "Sunday" with a free CD or the free papers that come through the door unbidden so it will be a real event like.

And I'll cut it out and stick it in my scrapbook of heroes wot I have known (a thin volume I admit)

Offline Nick

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 01:56:37 PM »
It will be "off the record" and it should be in next Tuesday|

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »
Off the record eh? That means Nick's out to knife someone. Whooo Whoooo .... Go for it my boy!

Offline Nick

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »
No, it means I don't trust effing journalists and refuse to have my name put to comments. Ever since that incident in 1997 evil: