Disgusterous

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 7475 times)

Offline TG

• Fool Member
Weather
« on: March 09, 2008, 12:25:49 PM »
The news is full of stories about how we are about to cop it at the hands of mother nature tonight. Travel warnings, flood warnings, its going to piss it down warnings etc.

Will this all turn out to be a storm in a teacup? Or are we all going to die?

Post your weather reports here over the next 24 hours or so and we will see if the weather man is a canute or not.

Mind you, my cheap Wilko's barometer is dropping like a stone.  eeek:

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
The news is full of stories about how we are about to cop it at the hands of mother nature tonight. Travel warnings, flood warnings, its going to piss it down warnings etc.

Post your weather reports here over the next 24 hours or so and we will see if the weather man is a canute or not.

You are bored aren't you?  noooo:

We suffer regular ‘Coptic Gales’ here… next one on the 10th is a big one…  scared2:

http://www.paragliding-cyprus.com/coptic_chart.htm

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »
Forget it. Lets talk about tits instead!  happy088

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
Forget it. Lets talk about tits instead!  happy088
Not another Gordon Brown thread?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »
West Country and West Wales seem to be the ones promised to get the full force.
We will probably be buffeted being as how there is sweet FA between us and the Irish Sea and we are halfway up a mountain facing the coast.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »
My stepdaughter is heading back to Cardiff on the train later.

Lets hope she doesnt have to much fun.  noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
Nick lives the other side of the Dee Estuary .... also facing the coast but it is closer to him than me. I am about a mile or so as the wind blows .... he is about 20 yards). His house is older by a century or so and shakes even more than mine in the wind so we will both be looking out our insurance docs just in case I 'spect ~ though it's not unknown for us to have two completely different sets of weather. Largely depends on which way the wind is blowing I guess.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »
Nick lives the other side of the Dee Estuary .... also facing the coast but it is closer to him than me. I am about a mile or so as the wind blows .... he is about 20 yards). His house is older by a century or so and shakes even more than mine in the wind so we will both be looking out our insurance docs just in case I 'spect ~ though it's not unknown for us to have two completely different sets of weather. Largely depends on which way the wind is blowing I guess.
I suspect that Nick’s will be more calamitous than yours…  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 12:59:51 PM »
I suspect that Nick’s will be more calamitous than yours…  whistle:

Dunno .... we lost a chimney and a lot of slates last year. Cost a bloody fortune as the insurance co weaselled their way out of paying for much of it saying that the brickwork exposed by the damage showed signs of weathering. It is rendered (Pebble dash) so how the f*ck was I supposed to have known. Even they had to admit it was not likely that our surveyor would have removed the pebble dash to look at the state of the bricks beneath. They still wouldn't pay out for the repairs though. Only after much argument did they agree to pay to "make safe" which involved a lot of scaffolding having to be put up. They paid for the scaffolding so I got a private builder to do a bodge it and scarper repair to the render and chimney stack.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
Surrey is bathed in sunshine, with no wind. In ten minutes time though, it will be pissing down (again no wind) for about half an hour and then bathed in sunsine again.

Repeat ad infinitum. Wind expected later, not the kind caused by Young's though.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
Drove through hail storm then sleet at Yeovilton, Somerset around 1730. Back home and it's dry. No sign of the wind though

I heard on the radio that government ministers are meeting this evening to discuss the situation. What a load of bollocks! Yesterday it was going to be "the worst storm this century", by this morning it is going to be "the worst this winter".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:27:06 PM by Just One More »
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »

;D ;D ;D Christ TG, I reckon you work for Channel 4

'Batten down the hatches'
===========================

Weather panic alert!! The worst storm of the winter is predicted to hit the UK. But I've a couple of worries about this. OK - it is a quiet news day at the moment, but does an approaching North Atlantic depression really merit the near-panic in coverage thus far?

Could all this have anything to do with the fact that it's likely to hit southern (media dominated) Britain? And am I alone in sensing a long-running cry-wolf mentality at work from the Met Office outwards?

There's a feeling that all such weather stories tend to be more violent in the predictions than the reality. Not long ago we had a ludicrous national media feeding frenzy for the North Sea surge.

And what happened? A couple of homes slightly damp around great Yarmouth. The Daily Express has led the charge in much of this obsessing about freaky weather which rarely, if ever, arrives.

My own theory is that the powers that be have never recovered from the psychological damage of the Great Storm a generation ago and have hyped up the warnings in a national mood of bottom-covering ever since.

Not saying it won't happen and that British transport will not grind to a halt at the first sign of a wind-affected twig - but impending doom? Believe it when you see it.

Sorry - got a bit carried away there.

Latest weather reports: http://www.channel4.com/news/weather/

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
You didn’t have this weather when Thatch was in power…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Surrey is bathed in sunshine, with no wind.
The day in Berks has been the same. whistle:
I mostly despair

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
You didn’t have this weather when Thatch was in power…  noooo:
I blame nuLabour