Author Topic: You're Barred!! Love it!!  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
You're Barred!! Love it!!
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
Darling raises VAT on alcohol so now pubs are starting to koin together to ban him from their establishments. Who sais Karma doesnt exist.

An Edinburgh bar is being credited with inspiring an internet campaign aimed at barring Chancellor Alistair Darling from every pub in Britain.
Organisers were angered when the MP for Edinburgh South West increased duty on alcohol in his Budget.

They are spreading their message via blogs and a Facebook group.

The campaigners were inspired by the landlord of the Utopia bar, who put a poster in his window saying that Mr Darling was not welcome in the pub.

In addition to 4p on the duty charged for a pint of beer, the chancellor increased wine duty by 14p a bottle, spirits duty by 55p a bottle and cider duty by 3p a litre.

He also announced alcohol duty would go up by 2% above inflation in each of the next four years.

Inspired by the Utopia bar on Edinburgh's Easter Road, a group has been formed on the social networking site Facebook called "Alistair Darling You're Barred".

Binge drinking

It claims that Mr Darling is hitting the licensed trade at a time when 27 pubs a week are closing because of the smoking ban and rising industry costs.

The group says that the chancellor has failed to recognise that well-run community pubs are the solution to Britain's binge-drinking problems.

Pubs in Bolton, Lewes and Oxfordshire have followed the Edinburgh bar in putting up posters.

Several have been designed, including one depicting Mr Darling as a Simpsons character in Moe's Tavern.

The text says: "Finally Alistair Darling finds a pub he is not barred from."

A spokesman for Mr Darling said: "The chancellor made it clear at the time of the budget that his priorities were alleviating child poverty and helping pensioners.

"It's a small price to pay for doing that."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: You're Barred!! Love it!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »
Frankly he is such a sanctimonious Edinburgh Presbyterian I doubt that he has been in a pub for years.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
Frankly he is such a sanctimonious Edinburgh Presbyterian I doubt that he has been in a pub for years.
No, they all do their binge drinking in the Commons bars with subsidised booze and of course no smoking ban like the proletariat have to suffer…  Banghead
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »
Ah but look on the bright side there BM. No smoking ban in the house bar means they are all passive smoking and therefore natural selection should start kicking in before too long.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »
Ah but look on the bright side there BM. No smoking ban in the house bar means they are all passive smoking and therefore natural selection should start kicking in before too long.

If you believe in either the dangers of passive smoking or natural selection.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »
I'm trying to find something vaguely resembling a silver lining in all this Snoop  noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »
The only silver lining I can see is that sooner or later the vast unwashed will catch on and realise that they have been sold down the river by these self serving b@st@rds. Even the Great British Public cannot go on being so stupid as to let them get away with it for much longer.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:03:40 PM »
Even the Great British Public cannot go on being so stupid as to let them get away with it for much longer.

I hate to say it but as long as the benefit cheques keep coming and Jeremy Kyle is on the TV they will remain blissfully ignorant.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
Even the Great British Public cannot go on being so stupid as to let them get away with it for much longer.

I hate to say it but as long as the benefit cheques keep coming and Jeremy Kyle is on the TV they will remain blissfully ignorant.

Regretably I suspect you are right ........ errrr......... who or what is Jeremy Kyle?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
Another British Jerry Springeresque show. I made the mistake of channel surfing on bank holiday monday. I'm happier working on the theory that for each of these shows they have a group of writers to create with the most horrific 'guests' possible. Because I dread to think that they are really roaming the streets somewhere in the UK eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »

I just Googled him and watched a bit of replay. Never normally watch ITV you see (don't watch much TV TBH).
Smug little b@st@rd isn't he.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 06:14:43 PM »
Depending on what hours I'm working I tend to channel surf as I'm getting ready. Normally flicking between Dave and ITV4 so his show was a bit of a shock.

I suppose that as he's making a fortune out of these prime examples of pondlife he can afford to be smug in front of the camera.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:28:57 AM »
I quite like Jeremey Kyle.  redface: Of course the only time I get to watch it is when I am ill so I'm not running a full tank brain wise while I am enjoying it.  redface:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »
I quite like Jeremey Kyle.  redface: Of course the only time I get to watch it is when I am ill so I'm not running a full tank brain wise while I am enjoying it.  redface:

Ignoring the obvious comment about how often you are ill I would say that you have proved the Government and Media are in conflict. Shows like this are designed to pander to wimmin and that is why they are shown at a time when tradition demands that the menfolk would be at work and the wimmin at home resting after a hard morning of washing and ironing etc. Typical 1950s style.
Meanwhile Government are driving all able bodied out to work, be they male or female, by the simple expedient of stopping the married person's tax allowance and thus enabling the Treasury to grab more in taxes.
Were we not married we would be taxed less and that is why marriage is now less and less likely to be the option selected by couples. (See http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/27/socialtrends.gender)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »
Were we not married we would be taxed less and that is why marriage is now less and less likely to be the option selected by couples. (See http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/27/socialtrends.gender)

I know quite a few couples down here who have divorced and then mysteriously had a 'reconcilliation' the next day.