Author Topic: That's just taking the pi$$  (Read 480 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
That's just taking the pi$$
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »
So not only having to come to terms with the worst thing a parent can go through, they have this money grabbing letting agency telling them that they still have to pay their daughters accommodation fees for the rest of the year even recieving threats of court action to screw them for the rent?

Unfair? This is an absolute bloody disgrace, this company should be ashamed of themselves!!

A County Armagh couple whose daughter died while at university in Liverpool have been told they must pay for her accommodation for the rest of the year.
The letting agent involved is claiming that because the girl's parents acted as guarantors on the lease, they are liable for the debt.

Sinn Féin's Mickey Brady said the agent's demand was "very unfair".

Mr Brady said the Bessbrook family had received demands for rent owed since her death and threats of legal action.

"The agent is quite clearly arguing that the young girl, because of her sudden death in January, has breached the lease agreement and is demanding that the rent be paid in full," he said.

"This is another example of ruthlessness of the worse kind, and a fixation on ensuring that the money owed will be obtained even if it has to override a family's grief.

"This family is still traumatised by the sudden death of their precious daughter and now they have to cope with the added pressure and fears of debt collectors and court cases.

"In all my years in dealing with agencies and officials, I have never come across such a totally unsympathetic attitude."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: That's just taking the pi$$
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Why haven't they named and shamed?
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
Why haven't they named and shamed?

Because although it is a good story for the press (Daily Mail I suspect) it just may not be the whole truth and they don't want to get sued?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »
BBC story and they have illustrated it with this picture:

I wonder how long it will be there.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »
But not named the LandLord or his agents, who, at the end of the day, can only be following his instructions?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.