Disgusterous

Author Topic: PM's Questions - Hague 1, Harman 0  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
PM's Questions - Hague 1, Harman 0
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
They really should give Hague more of a chance in parliament, it looks like he's done a blinding job of making Harpy and co look like a bunch of morons.  The clown comment is pure genius  lol:

Leader of the House of Commons Harriet Harman took questions in place of Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who is at a Nato summit in Romania.

Ms Harman sent her condolences to the family of two servicemen, Lt John Thornton and Marine David Marsh, who were killed in Afghanistan.

Answering a question from Eric Joyce (Labour, Falkirk), Ms Harman said Robert Mugabe must respect the decision of the people of Zimbabwe. She told the Commons that Zimbabwe was at a turning point and Britain stood ready to increase aid to the country after a transition of power.

Mr Hague, standing in for Tory leader David Cameron, sent his condolences to the family of the dead servicemen. He congratulated Ms Harman on being the first female Labour politician to take prime minister's questions. He added: "She must be proud, three decades on, to be following in the footsteps of Margaret Thatcher."

Mr Hague said he wanted to send a signal to the people of Zimbabwe that Britain stood ready to help.

Ms Harman asked why Mr Hague was asking questions and not Theresa May, the shadow leader of the House, asking if modern Tory women "should be seen and not heard".

She offered Ms May some "sisterly advice", saying she should not let Mr Hague "get away with it".

Mr Hague then referred to Ms Harman's difficulties over her decision to wear an anti-stab jacket during a police walkabout this week on the streets of her south London constituency. To laughter from MPs, Mr Hague said: "She has had a difficult week and she had had to explain yesterday that she dresses in accordance with wherever she goes - she wears a helmet to a building site, she wears Indian clothes to Indian parts of her constituency - presumably when she goes to a cabinet meeting she dresses as a clown."

Ms Harman said she would not take advice on what to wear from Mr Hague, referring to his famous decision to wear a baseball cap when he was in the early days of his time as Conservative leader.

Mr Hague said five million lower paid families would be worse off after Budget changes to income tax. He said that after a meeting with Labour MPs, who expressed concern about the issue, one said Mr Brown "didn't seem to understand that they were talking about" and gave the impression "that he was living on another planet". He then quoted Ms Harman's blog, in which she said people were not worried about their future economic prospects.

Ms Harman said she wrote her "Harriet on the High Street" blog after speaking to people in Edinburgh, before recent global economic turbulence. She said the government had since responded to people's concerns and reassured people that it was acting to provide economic stability and employment opportunities. She said the economy was still growing, albeit at a slower rate.

She then took a swipe at Mr Hague, saying: "Normally people used to say great jokes, poor judgement but on today's performance he should be worried about his career as an after-dinner speaker."

Mr Hague hit back by saying he would never accuse Ms Harman of being "all jokes". He said the government had become "out of touch" and he asked why voters had to wait two years to "get rid of this discredited cabinet and get a chance of government".

Derek Wyatt (Labour, Sittingbourne and Sheppey) asked about immigration officials clearing customers out of Bangladeshi restaurants at "critical" times on a Friday and Saturday, harming their business. Ms Harman said the Bangladeshi Catering Association had already made representations to her on this issue.

Rob Wilson (Conservative, Reading East) called on Ms Harman to condemn a BNP candidate in the forthcoming London Assembly elections who reportedly wrote in a blog: "To suggest that rape is a serious crime is like suggesting that force feeding women chocolate cake is a heinous offence", saying he should be barred from public office.

Ms Harman said the "best way to avoid a BNP member being elected to the Greater London Assembly is to make sure as many people as possible vote for all the other parties".

John Baron (Conservative, Billericay) asked what is "so unique about the British" that they needed to detain suspects without charge for more than a week, as was the case in other countries.

Ms Harman said it was an unfair comparison. She said she found it "odd" that the Conservatives, who were she "purports to be strong on public protection", would not support government plans to extend detention. She asked how they could be concerned about human rights, yet want to abolish Labour's Human Rights Act.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: PM's Questions - Hague 1, Harman 0
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
presumably when she goes to a cabinet meeting she dresses as a clown

happy001 happy001 happy001
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
I like 'im...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
Me three!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 07:02:37 AM »
Me three!

I heard it (for the first time) this morning - thought they were both pretty evenly matched to be honest although have to say HH has the flatest boring female voice I've heard in a long time - think they all lie anyway!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:10:36 AM »
Me three!

I heard it (for the first time) this morning - thought they were both pretty evenly matched to be honest although have to say HH has the flatest boring female voice I've heard in a long time - think they all lie anyway!

Who lie anyway? Females or Politicians? ........................ Silly question ~ they all do.

Wimmin
"Did that DO it for you darling?" ~ "Oh yes" (LIE)
"Is mine the best/biggest you have ever?" ~ "Oh yes " (LIE)
"Will you always want to screw me like this?" ~ "Oh Yes" (LIE)

Politician
"Are you doing this for my good?" ~ "Oh yes" (LIE)
"Are you doing your best for me and all the other voters" ~ "Oh yes" (LIE)
"Will you always want to screw me like this?" ~ "Oh yes" (TRUE)

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
I haven't got time to check it out yet, but I'm sure I heard on the radio this morning that Harman is introducing a bill to stop people calling each other luv and darling. Obviously nothing better to concentrate on
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
I haven't got time to check it out yet, but I'm sure I heard on the radio this morning that Harman is introducing a bill to stop people calling each other luv and darling.
It is not a thing from which I would have expected her to suffer.
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
I haven't got time to check it out yet, but I'm sure I heard on the radio this morning that Harman is introducing a bill to stop people calling each other luv and darling. Obviously nothing better to concentrate on

Yes, its an equal opportunities anti discrimination bill to protect Barmaids.  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »

I call people 'poppet' - don't I nick  whistle:

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »
Yes deary.

You will be hearing from my solicitors eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »

The correct spelling is "muppet"
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »
That'll be the boy swapping the keys round on Nick's computer...  whistle:

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 04:53:15 PM »

No Sweetie it's poppet  ::)
Had a friend whos man called called her 'muppet' and 'spanner' - guess why their not together anymore  noooo:

How's the turnip crop coming along  whistle:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »

No Sweetie it's poppet  ::)
Had a friend whos man called called her 'muppet' and 'spanner' - guess why their not together anymore  noooo:

How's the turnip crop coming along  whistle:

I wonder ~ was their parting a wrench?