Disgusterous

Author Topic: Heathrow plans crash zone on motorway  (Read 3356 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: Heathrow plans crash zone on motorway
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.
No problem…

But, actually you couldn’t be more wrong.

I was born within the sound of aircraft taxiing at Heathrow. When they used the third runway there (it used to run North South and is now a taxiway – before your time prolly) the aircraft came right over our house. We were in the area that got 100% grant for double-glazing (this was in the 60s before the benefits of double-glazing for heat saving became apparent).

I loved the aircraft and as kids we found a tunnel under the perimeter road that allowed us to sit next to the runway and watch the aircraft taking off.

I then worked at Colnbrook on the end of the two main runways. When Concorde took off – especially in the summer your very soul would shake!

I’ve always loved aircraft and airports and have been a long-term supporter of Heathrow against the whingers who complained about noise and pollution while ignoring the thousands of jobs that it brought to the area…

But this new runway expansion is just going too far and it is time to think again IMHO.

That is a lovely tale of the joys of youth, Barman. But it doesn't explain the jessie motorbike  ;D

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:55 AM »
 rubschin: Oh I don't know ............ these things are laid down very early in life.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:50 AM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.
No problem…

I was born within the sound of aircraft taxiing at Heathrow. When they used the third runway there (it used to run North South and is now a taxiway – before your time prolly) the aircraft came right over our house. We were in the area that got 100% grant for double-glazing (this was in the 60s before the benefits of double-glazing for heat saving became apparent).

I loved the aircraft and as kids we found a tunnel under the perimeter road that allowed us to sit next to the runway and watch the aircraft taking off.

I then worked at Colnbrook on the end of the two main runways. When Concorde took off – especially in the summer your very soul would shake!

I’ve always loved aircraft and airports and have been a long-term supporter of Heathrow against the whingers who complained about noise and pollution while ignoring the thousands of jobs that it brought to the area…

But this new runway expansion is just going too far and it is time to think again IMHO.

That is a lovely tale of the joys of youth, Barman. But it doesn't explain the jessie motorbike  ;D
Trust me... the Yamaha is perfect for our village 'roads'...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 06:37:01 AM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.
No problem…

That is a lovely tale of the joys of youth, Barman.
I can do more than that...  whistle:

I remember seeing the BOAC 707 flying over Ashford in flames when I was eight…

It crashed back at Hethrow killing 5.

And when the BEA Trident stalled and fell out of the sky at Staines in 1972 all the streets around our home were gridlocked with sightseers…

118 killed on board, none on the ground.

It is quite frankly amazing that there hasn’t been a serious accident at Heathrow leading to fatalities on the ground given how built-up the surrounding area is.

Time to stop expansion at Heathrow IMHO.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:39:12 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 09:32:32 AM »
Oh aren't you young! eeek:

I can remember when to fly into London one went to Croydon! razz:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:22 AM »
Oh aren't you young! eeek:

I can remember when to fly into London one went to Croydon! razz:
What were the Wright Brothers like?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »
And then straight to IKEA. eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.
No problem…

Baldymort snapped on the bike in question.....

whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »
I see (surprise, surprise) that they have decided to go ahead with the third runway then...?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »
And the Tories have said that no matter what the costs or how far the planning/construction has got they will stop it if they win the next election.

Which pre-supposes that Gordon manages to get the idea through the House of Commons and currently the Tories + the Lib/Dems + 40 or more Labour MPs have said they will oppose it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:58:11 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »
And the Tories have said that no matter what the costs or how far the planning/construction has got they will stop it if they win the next election.

Which pre-supposes that Gordon manages to get the idea through the House of Commons and currently the Tories + the Lib/Dems + 40 or more Labour MPs have said they will oppose it.
It seems unlikely that it will get through - why give it the green light then...?  rubschin:

No doubt a 'promise' has been made in return for some underhand deal...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

It seems unlikely that it will get through - why give it the green light then...?  rubschin:

TBH I don't think Gordon is living in the same world as the rest of us. He seems to have a single vision all of his own (eye jokes accepted) of how the world works and he has reached that stage of meglomania when everything he thinks about he deludes himself into believing will come true. He seems to genuinely believe that he and he alone can save the whole world. He is in complete denial that any of the current troubles are of his making.
The man is utterly mad and should be locked up for the public good.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »

TBH I don't think Gordon is living in the same world as the rest of us. He seems to have a single vision all of his own (eye jokes accepted) of how the world works and he has reached that stage of meglomania when everything he thinks about he deludes himself into believing will come true. He seems to genuinely believe that he and he alone can save the whole world. He is in complete denial that any of the current troubles are of his making.
Or hanged...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:56 PM »

Or hanged...  whistle:

That too. cussing: