Author Topic: Heathrow plans crash zone on motorway  (Read 3366 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: Heathrow plans crash zone on motorway
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »
<Groan>

Sorry. It's the boredom. Today I have managed to move 2 PCs and reset two passwords. That's it. I am now conducting experiments with elastic bands, vending machine cups and ceiling tiles.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:54 PM »
Couldn't they stick the extra 500 metres on the east end of the runway?
Oh dear, oh dear Uncle…  noooo:

You are assuming that there is some form of rational thought process that follows this instead of some back handing/thieving/troughing justification by MPs…  point:

I dunno to be honest but having spent most of my life living around Heathrow I’ve taken an interest in it. Reading the report of the council is astonishing and when you think about it (if you know the area at all) the whole idea is farcical…  Banghead

You are mistaken, Reading is a lot further down the M4 than Heathrow. Silly Barman.

…or being engulfed in a flaming ball of Jet A1.

It is also nowhere near the A1.

I think Stud Muffin failed O-level geography.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
 happy001 You have to admire his technique though.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »
Given that a new airport should have been built at Maplin back in the 70s but wasn't there seems to be little choice but to shoehorn more and more in at Heathrow.
I disagree…

Although the decision has obviously been made already (BAA wouldn’t have invested billions in T5 without assurance that the airport would stay at Heathrow), the obvious decision should be to start anew in the Thames Estuary. They could build a state-of-the-art airport with high speed rail links to the continent and all over the UK.

This new bit will cost billions and the environmental impact both in noise and pollution will be incredible…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »

". . . just whisper that part about stockings and high heels again" 

I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »
Given that a new airport should have been built at Maplin back in the 70s but wasn't there seems to be little choice but to shoehorn more and more in at Heathrow.
I disagree…

Although the decision has obviously been made already (BAA wouldn’t have invested billions in T5 without assurance that the airport would stay at Heathrow), the obvious decision should be to start anew in the Thames Estuary. They could build a state-of-the-art airport with high speed rail links to the continent and all over the UK.

This new bit will cost billions and the environmental impact both in noise and pollution will be incredible…  noooo:

They could do but seeing as they didn't 30 odd years ago are they any more likely now?

Also I believe that technological improvements will mean that noise and pollution will diminish in the future.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
I disagree…

They could do but seeing as they didn't 30 odd years ago are they any more likely now?

Also I believe that technological improvements will mean that noise and pollution will diminish in the future.

That’s what they want you to believe Uncle… but is there any evidence of it?

Aircraft have improved an incredible amount but as one that stays in Windsor when I come over to the UK I can tell you that the very latest, quietest, most efficient and high-tech aircraft out of the factory make a fucking great noise when they lumber over your house at 6am en route to Runway 27L at Heathrow. The whole house shakes!

At least at the moment they switch runways so that most days you have a break from it for half-a-day…

The new runway will be ‘mixed-mode’ which means that you get the noise all day, every single day of your life…  Banghead

And quite frankly, even with a move to more modern twin-engine aircraft you can’t have a Rolls-Royce Trent on each wing producing in excess of 76,000lb of thrust that isn’t going to produce a little noise and pollution…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Don't be negative BM ..... by the time all the enquiries and appeals have gone through the system and they get round to building it we could all be using "teleporters" like in the Jetsons  ;)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Don't be negative BM ..... by the time all the enquiries and appeals have gone through the system and they get round to building it we could all be using "teleporters" like in the Jetsons  ;)
Of course...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
People who don't like noisy planes also ride gay motorbikes. Fact.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
That’s what they want you to believe Uncle… but is there any evidence of it?

Aircraft have improved an incredible amount but as one that stays in Windsor when I come over to the UK I can tell you that the very latest, quietest, most efficient and high-tech aircraft out of the factory make a fucking great noise when they lumber over your house at 6am en route to Runway 27L at Heathrow. The whole house shakes!

At least at the moment they switch runways so that most days you have a break from it for half-a-day…

The new runway will be ‘mixed-mode’ which means that you get the noise all day, every single day of your life…  Banghead

And quite frankly, even with a move to more modern twin-engine aircraft you can’t have a Rolls-Royce Trent on each wing producing in excess of 76,000lb of thrust that isn’t going to produce a little noise and pollution…  noooo:

There is a simple solution to that BM. Invite Captain Calamity to stay for a couple of weeks. The Nick-o-rays will have a Bermuda Triangle like effect over the surrounding area that pilots will avoid like the plague.  happy088
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
People who don't like noisy planes also ride gay motorbikes. Fact.
::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 05:12:12 AM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.
No problem…

But, actually you couldn’t be more wrong.

I was born within the sound of aircraft taxiing at Heathrow. When they used the third runway there (it used to run North South and is now a taxiway – before your time prolly) the aircraft came right over our house. We were in the area that got 100% grant for double-glazing (this was in the 60s before the benefits of double-glazing for heat saving became apparent).

I loved the aircraft and as kids we found a tunnel under the perimeter road that allowed us to sit next to the runway and watch the aircraft taking off.

I then worked at Colnbrook on the end of the two main runways. When Concorde took off – especially in the summer your very soul would shake!

I’ve always loved aircraft and airports and have been a long-term supporter of Heathrow against the whingers who complained about noise and pollution while ignoring the thousands of jobs that it brought to the area…

But this new runway expansion is just going too far and it is time to think again IMHO.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
Yes, I'm still bored.

Sorry.
No problem…

But, actually you couldn’t be more wrong.

I was born within the sound of aircraft taxiing at Heathrow. When they used the third runway there (it used to run North South and is now a taxiway – before your time prolly) the aircraft came right over our house. We were in the area that got 100% grant for double-glazing (this was in the 60s before the benefits of double-glazing for heat saving became apparent).

I loved the aircraft and as kids we found a tunnel under the perimeter road that allowed us to sit next to the runway and watch the aircraft taking off.

I then worked at Colnbrook on the end of the two main runways. When Concorde took off – especially in the summer your very soul would shake!

I’ve always loved aircraft and airports and have been a long-term supporter of Heathrow against the whingers who complained about noise and pollution while ignoring the thousands of jobs that it brought to the area…

But this new runway expansion is just going too far and it is time to think again IMHO.
eeek: eeek: eeek: eeek:
I mostly despair