Disgusterous

Author Topic: Excellent Fathers Day gift  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: Excellent Fathers Day gift
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 10:35:59 PM »
Back to Fathers Day gifts...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080611-Talking-GPS-Teddy-Bear-Gives-Directions-a-Lifetime-of-Nightmares/

If you're like us, the voice on your portable GPS navigation unit may strike you as a bit cold.  Impersonal.  Sure, it gets you to unfamiliar destinations with ease, and it even enunciates well, but you don't get the feeling that it cares much about you.  You can decide to call her "Karen" and imagine that she's giving you directions as a part-time gig while working her way through nursing school, but still, the disembodied voice just isn't the sort of warm, fuzzy thing you'd like to curl up with hiding under the blankets on a cold...

Well, you get our point.

Salvation is here.  Japanese robotics firm iXs Research Corporation saw this same problem, and they've developed just what you've always wanted -- a cute, cuddly talking teddy bear that sits on your dashboard and gives you directions

No, we're not kidding.

Motor Trend explains, "The teddy bear...has six joints in his arms and neck he uses to motion while giving directions."  Geek.com adds, "If you'd like to get more information about local landmarks the bear will provide that as well. All you need to do is rub its head."  (This sounds safe...drive with one hand, rub Teddy's head to get tidbits of local culture with the other). CrunchGear has more: "Besides being able to navigate the driver through Japanese traffic, the bear is able to comment on his or her driving style. Sudden stops, for example, will result in reactions such as 'Be careful, please!'"

This is getting creepy.  The bear knows too much.

GearLive adds, "The teddy also has an alcohol detection sensor in its neck and will admonish you if it smells that last margarita with 'You haven't been drinking, have you?'"

By which time you've concluded that you've had one too many...you're seeing talking teddy bears.

We're all for anything that might get another drunk driver off the road.  But frankly, the idea of this thing is starting to give us nightmares.  We'll stick with Karen.  She's a single mom, you see, and needs the job to cover day care for her son so she can finish school...

Considering a portable nav unit? Read our nav system buying tips before you invest.  We considered them all carefully.  But we promise, we didn't cuddle with any of them.

I can imagine it now...

PC Plod - So sir, why were you going down this street?
Driver - The bear told me too occifer
PC Plod - The bear sir?
Driver - Yes occifer, he pointed and told me to go left
PC Plod - Have you been drinking sir?
Smart arse bear - Nods (grass!)

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 05:49:21 AM »
Sounds like a wife to me. evil:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »
Why not make a full-sized nagging wife version to sit in the front seat?

It would get round that single-occupant lane business.

You can also give it a slap without any consequences.

In fact, it is probably worth making a version without the SatNav function. rubschin:
I mostly despair

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:57 AM »
Why not make a full-sized nagging wife version to sit in the front seat?

It would get round that single-occupant lane business.

You can also give it a slap without any consequences.

In fact, it is probably worth making a version without the SatNav function. rubschin:

Only poofters use SatNav (no offence intended  whistle: ) cos all the surely world knows that ONLY REAL MEN can drive anywhere WITHOUT having to be given instructions, look at a published map, or ever stop and ask for directions  happy001 happy001 happy001

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
Speaking of giving a slap. BM attend to this woman of yours please. Impuning male direction finding skills like that. Doesn't she know that we are like homing pigeons and have no need of artificial aids to navigation. evil:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 09:31:28 AM »
Speaking of giving a slap. BM attend to this woman of yours please. Impuning male direction finding skills like that. Doesn't she know that we are like homing pigeons and have no need of artificial aids to navigation. evil:
Of course she does... just jealous is all...  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: