Author Topic: Compost  (Read 11127 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Compost
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
How long does it take to make and what can you actually use it for?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
It takes as long as it takes and if large enough the pile is useful for hiding the remains of the people who have really narked you off  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »
The council are giving them away. I'm trying to decide if it is a good plan or not.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
If it is free and you have garden waste it is a good idea. If neither apply then it is not.
It take anything up to six months to create compost and you need to put only the right things into it. It requires an "acelerator" (ask at your garden centre) and some worm. Apart from that a good stir every couple of weeks and next year you will have compost for your garden or pot plants.
DO NOT PUT GRASS CUTTINGS INTO IT AS THEY JUST TURN TO SLIME.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
If it is free and you have garden waste it is a good idea. If neither apply then it is not.
It take anything up to six months to create compost and you need to put only the right things into it. It requires an "acelerator" (ask at your garden centre) and some worm. Apart from that a good stir every couple of weeks and next year you will have compost for your garden or pot plants.
Man pee works too...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
I pee in ours whenever I can.I encourage Mrs Nick to do the same, but she falls off! point:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »
Man pee works too...  whistle:

I was going to say that but then I remembered that Mr Wench is Welsh and thus a shortarse. Tho' I 'spose Wenchy could provide him with a box to stand on. whistle:

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »
 eeek:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
How long does it take to make and what can you actually use it for?

Do you have a garden?

RTFM

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »
We have a compost heap to which we have been adding stuff for about 15 years. We never use the compost thus produced rubschin:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »
I have 2 wooden mock bee-hives as per G Hamilton gardening book, but they are out-performed by an old black plasctic dustbin with holes drilled in it - loadsa of lovely little worms - shame I don't go fishing anymore.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
I have 2 wooden mock bee-hives as per G Hamilton gardening book, but they are out-performed by an old black plasctic dustbin with holes drilled in it - loadsa of lovely little worms - shame I don't go fishing anymore.

I've got a free green council one and lots of worms in it ~ I DO still go fishing  cloud9:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
Our council (same one as Wenchy) supplies them as well.

However they have stopped their "free" garden waste collection and now want you to cough up £35 for their plastic sacks which they will empty once a fortnight. They will only empty their sacks, so now lots of people will be driving to the dumps - very green!

So far there have not been many takers with many angry letters in the local papers.

RTFM

ice and a slice

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

However they have stopped their "free" garden waste collection and now want you to cough up £35 for their plastic sacks which they will empty once a fortnight. They will only empty their sacks, so now lots of people will be driving to the dumps - very green!

So far there have not been many takers with many angry letters in the local papers.

In sunny Cyprus the binmen come twice a week and take EVERYTHING!!!  Even stuff not in the bin.... and you can leave the bin out the day before or have the lid ajar! cloud9:

It's such a joy after the ridiculous UK system.  Not that I wish to rub it in or anyfink. 8)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »

In sunny Cyprus the binmen come twice a week and take EVERYTHING!!!  Even stuff not in the bin.... and you can leave the bin out the day before or have the lid ajar! cloud9:

It's such a joy after the ridiculous UK system.  Not that I wish to rub it in or anyfink. 8)

Just wait until the European Regs get to work on your sunny island.  eveilgrin: