Disgusterous

Author Topic: Dinner tonight  (Read 2204453 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Dinner tonight
« Reply #5010 on: July 01, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »
No - the no alcohol during the week ban is still very much in place ..... angel1
Me too....  angel1

char048
I've been very good actually - part of my new get fit regime!  cloud9:

Lost nine pounds already...  whistle:

shocked003 That's a lorra money BM, can you afford it?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5011 on: July 01, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »
No - the no alcohol during the week ban is still very much in place ..... angel1
Me too....  angel1

char048
I've been very good actually - part of my new get fit regime!  cloud9:

Lost nine pounds already...  whistle:

shocked003 That's a lorra money BM, can you afford it?
No problemo... we are using Euros now...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #5012 on: July 01, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
Nine pounds! That's small change!  lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5013 on: July 01, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »
Nine pounds! That's small change!  lol:
Another tenner to go...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #5014 on: July 01, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
Halfwayish then, not such small change! You're doing well!  happ096

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5015 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »
He just took the bucket off his head when he went on the scales  noooo: noooo: noooo:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5016 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »
He just took the bucket off his head when he went on the scales  noooo: noooo: noooo:
redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5017 on: July 01, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »
OK you pair of smug beggars. I need to shed weight. These are the problems:

(i) Exercise is out ~ I cannot walk more than 75 metres without medication. Obviously I can no longer ride a bicycle and, with an ICD, I am not permitted to swim.
(ii) I restrict my food intake to about 1200 to 1500 cals per 24 hours. Which is about half what I should eat given all other factors. I eat no breakfast cereals because of the added sugar and salt. I drink no milk and take only green or lemon tea. Bread is home made but I restrict to one and a half slices a day. I use butter thinly as I am not willing to eat by products of the petro-chemical industry like Flora etc which will only end up giving me cancer or something.
(iii) Under the "rools for diabetics" I must consume some carbohydrates with every meal
(iv) The diabetic medication is Pioglitazone which is known to cause some weight gain ~ mainly through fluid retention but I do also take a diuretic to counter the fluid retention. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioglitazone)
(v) As of last Thursday my diabetes is under good control (HBC1s show 6.1 average blood sugars which is considered on the right side of the line by the doctors. Drop another 2 points and I would not be diabetic!) Also Cholesterol is 4.2 which is better than it has been for years.

Now I want/need to shed at least 5 stone ~ Ideas welcome (and a smite of almighty proportions for anyone suggesting cutting my head off would help me lose 25 pounds of unwanted ugly fat!)

I should add that alcohol consumption is about 3 units a MONTH! I drink mainly water.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:40:00 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #5018 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
It isn't necessarily about the calories. It's also about the fat within the stuff. I can't really tell you how mine is working as I don't really understand how it works I just follow the rules in the book from the group that I go to. Basically all fruit and veg as is is free. Then you have carb days where you are limited to small amounts of protein and protein days where you are limited to small amounts of carbs. So it is vaguely food combining too I suppose. Dairy is unlimited amounts so long as it is fat free, so muller light, cottage cheese, quark etc is all fine. A pint of milk and a small matchbox of cheese is also allowed daily.

Basically given your diabetic issue, you should be filling up on cous cous, basmati rice, veg, fruit etc and limiting if not completely cutting out potatoes and bread.

Have to say though that if you do have some sort of slimming group near you it is well worth going. The weekly support, help and guidance is a MAJOR help that can't be valued to highly and I don't think I would have stuck it for as long as I have or been as succesful as I so far have been without it. We even have men at ours! So it isn't as though it is just a "lady" thing.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5019 on: July 01, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
I've primarily been cutting out the booze... In parallel with that increasing my calorie burn with extra exercise...  Shrugs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #5020 on: July 01, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »
I've primarily been cutting out the booze... In parallel with that increasing my calorie burn with extra exercise...  Shrugs:

Which will do it for a lot of people. I know that it works that way for Mr Wench. He cuts out the booze and the biscuits and starts running again and he is pretty much sorted. For me though my syndrome means that my blood chemistry is bolloxed and so it isn't enough. Which I imagine is much the same for Snoops.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5021 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
It isn't necessarily about the calories. It's also about the fat within the stuff. I can't really tell you how mine is working as I don't really understand how it works I just follow the rules in the book from the group that I go to. Basically all fruit and veg as is is free. Then you have carb days where you are limited to small amounts of protein and protein days where you are limited to small amounts of carbs. So it is vaguely food combining too I suppose. Dairy is unlimited amounts so long as it is fat free, so muller light, cottage cheese, quark etc is all fine. A pint of milk and a small matchbox of cheese is also allowed daily.

Basically given your diabetic issue, you should be filling up on cous cous, basmati rice, veg, fruit etc and limiting if not completely cutting out potatoes and bread.

Have to say though that if you do have some sort of slimming group near you it is well worth going. The weekly support, help and guidance is a MAJOR help that can't be valued to highly and I don't think I would have stuck it for as long as I have or been as succesful as I so far have been without it. We even have men at ours! So it isn't as though it is just a "lady" thing.

I'll come to your group then 'cos the local ones here are weird. Weightwatchers is run by a man who is an arse that doesn't pay his bills (for adverts in magazine or for hall rental) and the other one, the name escapes me at the moment, is run by a woman who is twice my size which sort of saps my confidence in what she is selling. Basically they both seem more interested in selling products than actually helping people (I guess it isn't actually in their interests to get more than a few people slimmer ~ they really do want a continued supply of fatties who will keep the faith and the income rolling in).
I have seen the NHS Nutritionist at the hospital who turned out to be a stick insect of a child aged about 18 (I think she must have been on work experience). She looked at my food diary and pronounced it good but advised me not to eat more than one piece of fruit at a time because of the fructose (sugars). When I pointed out that one strawberry hardly makes a portion but I wasn't in the habit of stereo eating bananas she said I was "unhelpful" and walked out of the consultation. I complained and had to go back to see the head dietician who apologised and gave me some crap about "female issues". The head dietician offered to give me advice so I showed her my food diary and she refused to believe that anyone did not eat  cereals and toast for brekky, she was also reluctant to tell me how much she weighed but she was most certainly a size 18 if not 20 so I figured that they were going to be of no help.

The diet you suggest is roughly what I do. One of either Cous cous, wild rice, small amounts of pasta, potatoes (two small ones once a week with skins on) with main meal.  A little bread because it is the only way I can meet the carbs requirements. Any meat has fat trimmed from it by butcher brother. I restrict meat to 4 ozs in any one day and I do eat more fish that meat anyway. Chicken is only ever the white meat and must be pot roast, free range from local farm to avoid the fats etc that supermarket chicken have in them. I do not eat chocs, sweets or biscuits.

I am bewildered. I even gained weight in hospital where they controlled the meals. "They" accused my wife of smuggling food into me!

I will confess that about once every month or so I get so depressed that I buy a cod n chips or an Indian Takeaway just to feel "normal" again.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:10:49 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #5022 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
That sadly is often the way. I used to be very much the same.

We have a lady at group that can't do mobile exercise either. However, she has said that she sits in her chair and lifts bean cans or does leg lifts. It's movement that raises the heart rate but without the strain. Although I'm not sure whether even that would be suitable for you.

happy100

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #5023 on: July 01, 2009, 05:16:23 PM »
mini melton mowbray: 1     tomato: 1

water: 2                           wine: 0

activity: 5                         couch potato: 0

And that concludes the scores from here...  whistle:

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5024 on: July 01, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »
That sadly is often the way. I used to be very much the same.

We have a lady at group that can't do mobile exercise either. However, she has said that she sits in her chair and lifts bean cans or does leg lifts. It's movement that raises the heart rate but without the strain. Although I'm not sure whether even that would be suitable for you.

happy100

Never mind ~ Onward and upward!

That nice Mr Pastis has suggested some useful ideas which I will be putting into practice. Watch this space.