Disgusterous

Author Topic: Dinner tonight  (Read 2201762 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Re: Dinner tonight
« Reply #21990 on: March 14, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
Should the top pasta circle be larger than the one underneath?   rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #21991 on: March 14, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »

:thumbsup:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #21992 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »

Now that is a two pipe problem.

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #21993 on: March 14, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #21994 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
So close, 2 pi as opposed to 2 pipe ...  ;)   In fact (2 pi r h) - (pi r squared) where h stands for the height of the haloumi   ;D
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #21995 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
TBH I always make the two pieces the same size as pasta stretches  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #21996 on: March 14, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
Top recipe........

Gordon Talks Dirty

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21997 on: March 14, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
Tonight I'm gonna try making raviolis with an egg yolk filling so when you cut it open its all oozy like. Have made my pasta dough. Gonna have a glass of wiine before I try and get the egg yolks inside the raviolis. Will keep you updated.

Why...? Shrugs:

For me........... cloud9:

They were yumster,,,,,,,,,filling halloumi,breadcrumb,mint n soft egg yolk in pasta.......... :thumbsup:
Rescipe please

Ok, wow, this make take a while.

Make your pasta (do you need a recipe?) and roll it in sheets as thin as the machine will go, then get the rolling pin to it. I found the thinnest setting on the pasta maker doesn't get the dough thin enough. The trick is to cook the pasta well enough but not over do the yolk.

For the filling, blend a big lump of halloumi with about 2 tblsp of breadcrumbs and 2tblsp of dried mint. If you can mould the mixture so it sticks together that's right.

Cut the reeeeeeallly thin pasta into circles and put a tsp of filling in the middle. make a well out of the filling big enough for a yolk to sit in.

Separate a yolk from the white and gently place it in the little halloumi nest.

Now, the hard and most vital bit. Egg wash around the egg nest. Take a second pasta circle and gently sit it on top of the yolk.DONT press on the yolk. You need to now press the top sheet securely around the halloumi nest making sure there is no air trapped inside. Any air pockets will cook the yolk too quickly.

Place the raviolis gently into a pan of boiling chicken stock for about 4 mins. They should float to the top. Have a quick feel of the edge to see if the pasta is done. Take out with a slotted spoon, put on the plate, grate a bit of parmesan and add some black pepper. . . . . done.

Be warned, apc has a massive appetite and could only eat 3.

If you have any halloumi fillinig left, just make some halloumi ravioli. This is my favourite and it freezes well.  :thumbsup:

As an aside, if you want smaller raviolis, use quail's eggs, but, be extra careful with cooking times!

Or make 'normal' size ones while looking through a magnifying glass!  Thumbs:

HTF would that work? If you've got a big ravioli (using an hen's egg) and you then observe through a magnificating glass, surely it'll look even biggerer? Won't it?

I was all for making a smallittler ravioli not an ginorous one!

No... ::)

While you are looking through the magnifying glass you'll think you are making a normal one...

...but when you put it down you will discover you have made a teeny-tiny one!  Thumbs:

Simples.  cool14:

. . . and how, pray, are you going to get an entire hen's egg yolk into a teeny-tiny raviolo?

Muppet!   Banghead

rubschin:

You could look at it through the wrong end of a telescope like!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #21998 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
Tonight I'm gonna try making raviolis with an egg yolk filling so when you cut it open its all oozy like. Have made my pasta dough. Gonna have a glass of wiine before I try and get the egg yolks inside the raviolis. Will keep you updated.

Why...? Shrugs:

For me........... cloud9:

They were yumster,,,,,,,,,filling halloumi,breadcrumb,mint n soft egg yolk in pasta.......... :thumbsup:
Rescipe please

Ok, wow, this make take a while.

Make your pasta (do you need a recipe?) and roll it in sheets as thin as the machine will go, then get the rolling pin to it. I found the thinnest setting on the pasta maker doesn't get the dough thin enough. The trick is to cook the pasta well enough but not over do the yolk.

For the filling, blend a big lump of halloumi with about 2 tblsp of breadcrumbs and 2tblsp of dried mint. If you can mould the mixture so it sticks together that's right.

Cut the reeeeeeallly thin pasta into circles and put a tsp of filling in the middle. make a well out of the filling big enough for a yolk to sit in.

Separate a yolk from the white and gently place it in the little halloumi nest.

Now, the hard and most vital bit. Egg wash around the egg nest. Take a second pasta circle and gently sit it on top of the yolk.DONT press on the yolk. You need to now press the top sheet securely around the halloumi nest making sure there is no air trapped inside. Any air pockets will cook the yolk too quickly.

Place the raviolis gently into a pan of boiling chicken stock for about 4 mins. They should float to the top. Have a quick feel of the edge to see if the pasta is done. Take out with a slotted spoon, put on the plate, grate a bit of parmesan and add some black pepper. . . . . done.

Be warned, apc has a massive appetite and could only eat 3.

If you have any halloumi fillinig left, just make some halloumi ravioli. This is my favourite and it freezes well.  :thumbsup:

As an aside, if you want smaller raviolis, use quail's eggs, but, be extra careful with cooking times!

Or make 'normal' size ones while looking through a magnifying glass!  Thumbs:

HTF would that work? If you've got a big ravioli (using an hen's egg) and you then observe through a magnificating glass, surely it'll look even biggerer? Won't it?

I was all for making a smallittler ravioli not an ginorous one!

No... ::)

While you are looking through the magnifying glass you'll think you are making a normal one...

...but when you put it down you will discover you have made a teeny-tiny one!  Thumbs:

Simples.  cool14:

. . . and how, pray, are you going to get an entire hen's egg yolk into a teeny-tiny raviolo?

Muppet!   Banghead

rubschin:

You could look at it through the wrong end of a telescope like!  Thumbs:

That would work!

Mind you, you'd need to be careful not to poke the egg yolk with the 'scope!

SNOOPY! - as duck fruit are roughly the same size as hen fruit, then yes, they should work equally well and promise a tastier outcome.

For God's sake, no-one even contemplate using an goose fruit - especially YOU Nick!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #21999 on: March 14, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
I mostly despair

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #22000 on: March 14, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #22001 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
Tonight, in the Ghost household, we will be partaking of Kate, Sidney 'n 'Shroom pie (without the pie bit), accompanied by steamed veg (comprising: beans (runner), broccoli, TURNIP 'n sprouts!)

(DS will be pleased!)
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #22002 on: March 14, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
Tonight, in the Ghost household, we will be partaking of Kate, . . . .
eeek:

Poor girl.  Morning sickness, Oz DJ prank calls, paparazzi snaps of nips and now . . . .  . .

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #22003 on: March 14, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »
Chicken, mushroom, assorted veg in oyster sauce, all done in me own wok like, with basmati rice  cloud9:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #22004 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »
Second half of Mrs K's experimental bake featuring way too many parsnips, at least on it's first outing it had that element of surprise

I will be scoffing nibbles all evening