Author Topic: Dinner tonight  (Read 2204249 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Dinner tonight
« Reply #975 on: October 08, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
It was interesting to watch.The polystyrene just sort of vanished. Apart from the smoke, of course
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #976 on: October 08, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
But, as any fule know, polystyrene is (a) flamable and (b) the smoke it gives off is highly toxic.

FFS there used to be adverts on TV warning against using polystyrene tiles on your kitchen ceiling.  ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #977 on: October 08, 2008, 09:53:36 AM »
Am I meant to know everything?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #978 on: October 08, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »
 doh:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #979 on: October 08, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
Cottage Pie and steamed veg. Going to make industrial quantities and then freeze several portions for subsequent delictation, not the veg, obviously.

Shopping trip marred by the dearth of available foil containers (I've run out). Is there a fvcking world shortage of aluminium or something  eeek: After 3 supermarkets and 2 £1 shops I eventually found the last pack of six in a hovel, in an alley that I'd have to be paid to go back to  cussing: They will be sterilised prior to use, just in case, like. ::)

We use these plasticy ones that are microwavable with steam vents etc and also reusable. Stack better in the freezer too and are well sealed for the transportation of soup to work/school.
The ones you get with a Chinese takeaway you mean...? We've got loads of those too...  whistle:

Us too. We get ours from the local Tandoori

Long gone are the days when take aways came in foil tins round here. All plastic now, not that I get them much.
I just prefer an oven heated pie with a browned topping rather than microwaved, but perhaps I need to move on. Perhaps defrost and heat in the Micro then grill for a couple of minutes for the top? shrugs:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #980 on: October 08, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
I put some stuff in a polystyrene container in our microwave once.

Frightful mess  noooo:

I suppose this is a stupid question but have you ever managed to put something into a microwave without it turning into an epic disaster Nick?  point:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #981 on: October 08, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
Often. WHy do you ask?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #982 on: October 08, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
Often. WHy do you ask?
As a matter of interest, does Mrs. Nick reach for the fire extinguisher every time you approach the microwave? A sort of bizarre Pavlovian response...  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #983 on: October 08, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
No, you will recall that The Boy set the fire extinguisher off in my car  evil:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #984 on: October 08, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
Cottage Pie and steamed veg. Going to make industrial quantities and then freeze several portions for subsequent delictation, not the veg, obviously.

Shopping trip marred by the dearth of available foil containers (I've run out). Is there a fvcking world shortage of aluminium or something  eeek: After 3 supermarkets and 2 £1 shops I eventually found the last pack of six in a hovel, in an alley that I'd have to be paid to go back to  cussing: They will be sterilised prior to use, just in case, like. ::)

We use these plasticy ones that are microwavable with steam vents etc and also reusable. Stack better in the freezer too and are well sealed for the transportation of soup to work/school.
The ones you get with a Chinese takeaway you mean...? We've got loads of those too...  whistle:

Long gone are the days when take aways came in foil tins round here. All plastic now, not that I get them much.
I just prefer an oven heated pie with a browned topping rather than microwaved, but perhaps I need to move on. Perhaps defrost and heat in the Micro then grill for a couple of minutes for the top? shrugs:

Get a combi oven ~ microwave, grill and fan oven all in one. Worth its weight in gold.

Offline Nick

« Reply #985 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »
Or get a blowlamp

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #986 on: October 08, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

Get a combi oven ~ microwave, grill and fan oven all in one. Worth its weight in gold.
We have one of those!

Unfortunately, being the Greek model it isn't pre-programmed for stuff like jacket potatoes like ours was in the UK so we have to make it all up...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #987 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
You should get a chipper!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #988 on: October 08, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

We have one of those!

Unfortunately, being the Greek model it isn't pre-programmed for stuff like jacket potatoes like ours was in the UK so we have to make it all up...

Presumably it is programmed for moussaka though.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #989 on: October 08, 2008, 10:40:06 AM »

We have one of those!

Presumably it is programmed for moussaka though.
Oh yes... it will cook a goat all on its own too...
Pro Skub  Thumbs: