Disgusterous

Author Topic: What's the weather doing where you are?  (Read 1827450 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: What's the weather doing where you are?
« Reply #14880 on: May 06, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
Even if only one car is involved? whacky115
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #14881 on: May 06, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
Most "professions" or occupations have a language of their own ..... We usually call it Jargon ...... and over the years such expressions, which once only made sense to those directly involved, creep into more common usage ~ often eventually displacing other words or expressions.

My father, for instance, always referred to the cobbler (shoe mender) as the "Snob".
This was no reflection on the man himself ...  as far as Dad was concerned all cobblers were "Snobs" and indeed the older members of the trade referred to themselves as such.
You never hear it these days, rather we refer to the "shoe repairer" or the "heel bar" ... seldom even the cobbler let alone the snob but Dad had been in the shoe trade for donkeys years. When he left school at age 14 it was to start work as an apprentice with Barratts where one of his daily tasks was to fetch and carry repairs to and from the "Snob". I have been known to suggest to a wife that, whilst in town, she might care to drop a pair of shoes off at the Snob's ..... my request has always been met with a look of utter incomprehension.

Another example would be the use of RTA (Road Traffic Accident) to describe a car crash. This came from the Police and crept into general use. I understand that the police, as I am sure our resident rozzer will confirm, no longer use RTA but prefer RTI or Road Traffic Incident as they now look for reasons that the crash occurred. The German police have always used this as their starting point. There are laws regarding vehicle maintenance and usage. Accident implies that there is no fault but the Germans have always believed that someone has broken one of the many laws and regulations and that will be what caused the crash thus they start their investigation into the crash by seeking to find which law was broken.

And that is the end of today's lecture.

In the agricultural world, the term "serviced" is generally confined to what the bull/boar/ram does to the cow/sow/ewe.

I shall be visiting the local VW dealership this morning as they appear to have serviced Mrs DS (#3)s Golf.  evil:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14882 on: May 06, 2011, 08:18:51 AM »
Most "professions" or occupations have a language of their own ..... We usually call it Jargon ...... and over the years such expressions, which once only made sense to those directly involved, creep into more common usage ~ often eventually displacing other words or expressions.

My father, for instance, always referred to the cobbler (shoe mender) as the "Snob".
This was no reflection on the man himself ...  as far as Dad was concerned all cobblers were "Snobs" and indeed the older members of the trade referred to themselves as such.
You never hear it these days, rather we refer to the "shoe repairer" or the "heel bar" ... seldom even the cobbler let alone the snob but Dad had been in the shoe trade for donkeys years. When he left school at age 14 it was to start work as an apprentice with Barratts where one of his daily tasks was to fetch and carry repairs to and from the "Snob". I have been known to suggest to a wife that, whilst in town, she might care to drop a pair of shoes off at the Snob's ..... my request has always been met with a look of utter incomprehension.

Another example would be the use of RTA (Road Traffic Accident) to describe a car crash. This came from the Police and crept into general use. I understand that the police, as I am sure our resident rozzer will confirm, no longer use RTA but prefer RTI or Road Traffic Incident as they now look for reasons that the crash occurred. The German police have always used this as their starting point. There are laws regarding vehicle maintenance and usage. Accident implies that there is no fault but the Germans have always believed that someone has broken one of the many laws and regulations and that will be what caused the crash thus they start their investigation into the crash by seeking to find which law was broken.

And that is the end of today's lecture.

In the agricultural world, the term "serviced" is generally confined to what the bull/boar/ram does to the cow/sow/ewe.

I shall be visiting the local VW dealership this morning as they appear to have serviced Mrs DS (#3)s Golf.  evil:

happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #14883 on: May 06, 2011, 08:19:22 AM »
 drumroll:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #14884 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »

Indeed. If only one car is involved the police will still be looking at the condition of the vehicle (Tyres, Brakes, et al), the possibility of drugs or drink being used by the driver, mobile phone records (to check if the driver was using one at the time), weather conditions, speed of the vehicle, state of the road surface at the time etc. The basic premise nowadays is that accidents do not just happen .... something/someone MUST have caused it.

Example: When a car drove into a parked van opposite the Kennels a few months back the police breathalysed the driver, had his smashed car taken off for examination by a local garage, measured skid marks on the road (to estimate his speed) etc etc. Finally they photographed the rear of the parked van, which was filthy and decided that since the car was "roadworthy", the driver had no mobile phone, the skid marks did not indicate excessive speed and so on that the cause of the crash was that the van's rear end was too dirty for the oncoming driver to have picked out it's number plate or reflectors in his headlights. They did not show up on the photos taken with a flash. They charged the van driver with failing to maintain his van in a roadworthy condition. £60 fine and 3 points on his licence....... And he was home, in bed, at the time!

I shall be visiting the local VW dealership this morning as they appear to have serviced Mrs DS (#3)s Golf.  evil:

And her Handicap is?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14885 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »

Indeed. If only one car is involved the police will still be looking at the condition of the vehicle (Tyres, Brakes, et al), the possibility of drugs or drink being used by the driver, mobile phone records (to check if the driver was using one at the time), weather conditions, speed of the vehicle, state of the road surface at the time etc. The basic premise nowadays is that accidents do not just happen .... something/someone MUST have caused it.

Example: When a car drove into a parked van opposite the Kennels a few months back the police breathalysed the driver, had his smashed car taken off for examination by a local garage, measured skid marks on the road (to estimate his speed) etc etc. Finally they photographed the rear of the parked van, which was filthy and decided that since the car was "roadworthy", the driver had no mobile phone, the skid marks did not indicate excessive speed and so on that the cause of the crash was that the van's rear end was too dirty for the oncoming driver to have picked out it's number plate or reflectors in his headlights. They did not show up on the photos taken with a flash. They charged the van driver with failing to maintain his van in a roadworthy condition. £60 fine and 3 points on his licence....... And he was home, in bed, at the time!

I shall be visiting the local VW dealership this morning as they appear to have serviced Mrs DS (#3)s Golf.  evil:

And her Handicap is?

Darwin! happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #14886 on: May 06, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
 lol: Oh dear BM I fear you may be skating on thin ice. noooo:

We had a splattering of rain yesterday evening.

This morning started cloudy but has now brightened up rain and thunderstorms forecast for later.  rain much needed and water butts are linked and ready. razz:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14887 on: May 06, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »
Looks like rainio here...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #14888 on: May 06, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »

Nooooo.....I am outside tonight .... cussing:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #14889 on: May 06, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »
You should borrow JOMs umbrella.  whistle:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14890 on: May 06, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »

Mrs. apc thrown you out...? Popcorn:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #14891 on: May 06, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »

happy100
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14892 on: May 06, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #14893 on: May 06, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »

Offline Nick

« Reply #14894 on: May 06, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
SUnnio