Author Topic: How can we use all the data we have on you?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
How can we use all the data we have on you?
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:18 PM »
Surely if you have been collecting loads of information that hasnt been used its a good indicator that its time to stop collecting that information. If you find in the future you need the data then start collecting it specific to the requirements. Its common sense and would save money.

The UK government has launched a competition to find innovative ways of using the masses of data it collects.

It is hoping to find new uses for public information in the areas of criminal justice, health and education. The Power of Information Taskforce - headed by cabinet office minister Tom Watson - is offering a £20,000 prize fund for the best ideas.

To help with the task, the government is opening up gigabytes of information from a variety of sources.

Good sense

This includes mapping information from the Ordnance Survey, medical information from the NHS , neighbourhood statistics from the Office for National Statistics and a carbon calculator from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

None of the data will be personal information, the government is keen to stress.

So in other words I give it 2 months before your personal information is available on a CD in HMV.

[/quote]Mr Watson is hoping to attract a wide range of people from "the technology community we already work with, to hard-core coders to adolescents in their bedroom".

He admits that throwing open public data could be a risk but he believes that it will yield results. [/quote]

Risks? I can't believe it. This government has a proven track record of data security after all.  Banghead

"If someone comes up with a great idea we will make a prototype and then hopefully a fully-fledged piece of technology that will make peoples' lives better," he said.

"I strongly believe in co-design and in the digital age it makes sense to work with citizens to make public service better," he added.

To help inspire ideas the team behind the idea has put dozens of examples of innovative ways of reusing public information on its Taskforce wiki.

These include a website which maps crimes around the UK, the FixMyStreet website, which allows users to alert other to litter, vandalism and graffiti in their local environment, and the prototype RateMyPrison, which invites those who visit friend and families in jail to comment on the experience.

Technology commentator Bill Thompson was one of the first to see the Show Us a Better Way website, which details the competition.

"It's great to see a government department with enough sense to realise that it doesn't have all the good ideas," he said.

"There are terabytes of expensively accumulated information sitting in databases, but it goes unused and unexploited because of restrictive licenses and lack of awareness," he added.

The government will evaluate the ideas over the course of the summer.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: How can we use all the data we have on you?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
I do some work with Experian.

What they hold in ther megaliths in Nottingham is truly scarey. It is!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
I do some work with Experian.

What they hold in ther megaliths in Nottingham is truly scarey. It is!

Not only scarey but unavoidable ~ and it is the unavoidability of it all that bothers me most. My only consolation is that I am so insignificant and have so little that no-one will bother to steal me.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
I could look up your postcode. That's all I need.

Loyalty Cards?
Bank Cards?
Mobile?
Number Plates?
House?
Other in the same place with digital traces?
Bank account?

Welcome to cyberworld!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »
I could look up your postcode. That's all I need.

Loyalty Cards?
Bank Cards?
Mobile?
Number Plates?
House?
Other in the same place with digital traces?
Bank account?

Welcome to cyberworld!

I can go further than that as I am still registered to carry out searches at the CRB as well as credit checks etc.

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
Quite so. So you too have access!

But not much

"They" know everything about us. And increasingly, we know less and less about "them"

Orwell?

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »
Nick, given a few snippets of starter information you (and Snoopy) appear to be able to know more about me than I could ever get to know about you.

When do you stop being "us" and become "them"?

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
When you do it because you are paid to rather than out of random curiosity?

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »
Nick, given a few snippets of starter information you (and Snoopy) appear to be able to know more about me than I could ever get to know about you.

You can access anyones's life from a postcode for free. Pay some and you get their personal details.

Fuck the DPA. This stuff is commercially traded, as you must know!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 02:02:35 PM »

Wenchy is right ~ I used to work in the security industry and when we moved here I started my own business which involved "vetting" people who applied to become Security Guards, Nannies etc. That was when I registered at the CRB as an "Appointed Person". It is costly and requires a very thorough clearance from the police etc to get the registration. From my security days I already held MOD and Home Office security clearance so that part was fairly straighforward. The new business attracted some enquiries from persons who wanted to let out their houses/flats but didn't want to pay an agency to manage the deal for them. They did however want to check out their prospective tenants so I also offered that service and became registered with the Credit Reference Agencies. Most information can be obtained on most people if you know where to look and, of course, I know as I have worked in that field for twenty plus years off and on. I no longer work and thus no longer look into such details but I have always maintained my registrations "just in case". Lastly I have never and will never use the ability/knowledge to look into the affairs of anyone for anything other than legitimate business purposes and then only once I have their written permission.