Disgusterous

Author Topic: Do you believe in Aliens?  (Read 6056 times)

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Do you believe in Aliens?
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »
Watching TV in the last couple of days there's been a spate of items promoting the new X-Files film. I won't be going to see it.

Anyway these TV items always seen to turn to the question "Do you believe in Aliens?". A serious question that has profound implications. The trouble is that they always trivialise it by dragging in Roswell, crop circles, abductions and anal probes(?). So, if you tend to the belief in aliens you get lumped in with the 'nutters'.

I can't believe that in a Universe with at least 10 sextillion stars that our sun has the only planet with sentient life. I accept it's possible that there's just us but it does seem statistically unlikely.

I believe there are aliens but it doesn't mean I believe in UFOs.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Do you believe in Aliens?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
I do think that there will be intelligent life somewhere else out there, but as for them coming here? Any life form with more than 2 brain cells to rub together would take one look at humanity and leg it as soon as possible.

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
 rubschin: But what defines an alien? What do you suppose "they" call us?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
If space is infinite, then surely all possibilities must happen. Therefore there has to be life out there - whether it is close enough to ever come into contact with us is another matter.

So somewhere, there is an identical TMR typing an identical post on an identical forum. In fact, there are an infinite number of TMRs typing an infinite number of post on an infinite number of identical forums.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
If space is infinite, then surely all possibilities must happen. Therefore there has to be life out there - whether it is close enough to ever come into contact with us is another matter.

So somewhere, there is an identical TMR typing an identical post on an identical forum. In fact, there are an infinite number of TMRs typing an infinite number of post on an infinite number of identical forums.

And given enough time they may come up with something.  ;)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

And given enough time they may come up with something.  ;)

;D

Git!

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »

Then there must be a TMR who just got abducted by aliens in mid sentence.  eeek:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »
As the rest of you have said, if you look at it from a numbers point of view it would be terribly narsasistic to assume we were the only forms of life.

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
Of course that brings us neatly round to FERMI'S PARADOX

The Fermi paradox is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and the lack of evidence for, or contact with, such civilizations.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »
Of course that brings us neatly round to FERMI'S PARADOX

The Fermi paradox is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and the lack of evidence for, or contact with, such civilizations.

Believing that "they" are there and knowing where to look are very different things. After all we don't actually know what we are looking for.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
You mean there are more Captain Calamities careering about with ray guns and stuff? Excellent!

Hello Wenchy
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:17:01 PM »

I suspect a talking hound comes high on the list of definitions  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »

I suspect a talking hound comes high on the list of definitions  whistle:

whistle:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »
Believing that "they" are there and knowing where to look are very different things. After all we don't actually know what we are looking for.

I'm inclined to agree. It's said South Sea islanders could not see the ship that Cook arrived in because they had no frame of reference.

A naturalist in the rainforest looks up and points to an animal in the branches; the tourist doesn't see it at first - no frame of reference.

rubschin:

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
A naturalist in the rainforest looks up and points to an animal in the branches. .
. . and Berek eats it.
I mostly despair