Disgusterous

Author Topic: Nick's Holiday Catastrophe Thread.  (Read 4132 times)

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Nick's Holiday Catastrophe Thread.
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »
Knowing how things tend to turn out for Captain Calamity I thought I'd save him the bother of starting loads of threads for the many things that will cock up and just have one general topic for them.  point:

BM can you make this one a sticky?  eyes:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Nick's Holiday Catastrophe Thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »
He is visiting his sister and then spending a weekend at Centre Parcs, with a planned visit to see the Lions at Longleat.

What could possibly go wro................. oh!

Well we'll know on Wednesday I 'spect.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
 lol: drumroll:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »
What could possibly go wro................. oh!

Place your bets, what can go wrong.

Personally I'm expecting a jellyfish incident:

Record numbers of potentially dangerous Portuguese man-of-war jellyfish have been found on the South West coast for the second year in a row.

At least 14 creatures have so far been washed up in Dorset, Devon, Cornwall and the Isle of Wight.

The Marine Conservation Society (MCS) said "unusually large" numbers of man-of-wars had been found, which it put down to the recent strong winds.

People are being urged not to touch the jellyfish which can give a nasty sting.

The man-of-wars (physalia physalis), which are also known as bluebottles, usually live in tropical waters far out in the open sea. 

But strong winds have been blowing them in to the shores of the South West and experts said more were expected.

Three have been found in Kimmeridge Bay, Burton Bradstock and Durdle Door in Dorset, one near Holcombe, in Devon, and one on the Isle of Wight in the past week.

Peter Richardson, from the MCS, said since mid-July, the charity had received at least another 10 reported sightings.

He said: "There will be more than that out there. That's just the ones that are being reported to us."

Mr Richardson said that between 2003 and 2006 only five Portuguese man-of-wars were found on UK shores, mainly in the South West.

But last summer that rose to 10.

"Last year we started getting more reports, so two years in a row now we've had unusually large numbers of man-of-wars reported," Mr Richardson said.

"We are expecting more to wash up. As long as the wind prevails, they will keep coming."

Anaphylactic shock

The MCS has not had any reports of anybody being stung in the UK but Mr Richardson urged beach-goers to be careful as they had a painful sting. 
This man-of-war was found by Chris Lavis at Smuggler's Cove in Devon

"The jellyfish look very pretty and the danger is if a child picks one up to show his mum he could have a nasty sting.

"There are records of some fatalities. You're not guaranteed to die but some people go into anaphylactic shock.

"Some people have been finding them and reporting it to lifeguards, who have picked them up and taken them away."

A man-of-war is made up of a colony of creatures to form one jellyfish.

The long tentacles can grow up to 165ft (50m) and hang from a balloon-like float resting on the surface.

Man-of-war colonies are usually found in the Florida Keys and off the Atlantic coast, the Gulf Stream, the Gulf of Mexico, the Indian Ocean and the Caribbean.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
 evil:

My back is completely better, despite being run over by some cretin on a mobility scooter in Winchester this morning  evil: Said cretin then careered inot an accordion playing busker (noisily) but I think that was an aesthetic judgement  eveilgrin:

Mrs Nick on the other hand has a bad back following our drive down and is demanding an appointment with Donna!  scared2:

Over and out
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
Have a holiday ~ logging on here on day one is just sad.  point:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
evil:

My back is completely better, despite being run over by some cretin on a mobility scooter in Winchester this morning  evil: Said cretin then careered inot an accordion playing busker (noisily) but I think that was an aesthetic judgement  eveilgrin:

Mrs Nick on the other hand has a bad back following our drive down and is demanding an appointment with Donna!  scared2:

Over and out

No laughing at the back

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »
Thought of Snoopy yesterday. My big sis has told us that she alone will lok after the Boy for 2 days to give us some time off. We have not had a boy free day in 5 years eeek:

We ended up having lunch in Stockbridge, which I am sure Snoops knows well.

We are so unaccustomed to time out that we have no idea what to do today. rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 07:18:34 AM »
Thought of Snoopy yesterday. My big sis has told us that she alone will lok after the Boy for 2 days to give us some time off. We have not had a boy free day in 5 years eeek:

We ended up having lunch in Stockbridge, which I am sure Snoops knows well.

We are so unaccustomed to time out that we have no idea what to do today. rubschin:
eyes:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »
Whatever you chose to do, enjoy (barman  ::))

I know your lad is a little more trouble than most children but most parents have little time to themselves until the teenage years.

Now log off and have a holiday. 

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »
Whatever you chose to do, enjoy (barman  ::))

I know your lad is a little more trouble than most children but most parents have little time to themselves until the teenage years.

Now log off and have a holiday. 
redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »
evil:

Ah but just think, in a couple of years it will be you on one of those scooters  scared2:

Over and out

Alas poor ChoNick, we knew him well.  point:

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
Great day out in teh New Forest (sans Boy)

Mrs Nick was chased by a pony and fell in a ditch. ;D spider:

We went into a posh clothes shop in Beaulieu and I knocked over a dummy with some posh clothes on which started a sort of domino effect of tumbling posh dummies around the shop  redface:

We had a big argument with someone in Buckler's Hard about a piece of goats cheese.

A cow poked its head through our car window (Mrs Nick's side) and tried to eat her blouse.  eveilgrin:

And the local newsagent here insisted on talking to me in German. So I replied in Spanish. He seems a little odd.

Avebury and Longleat tomorrow and no computers till Tuesday, so TTFN

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »
And the local newsagent here insisted on talking to me in German. So I replied in Spanish. He seems a little odd.

I'm sure he was thinking something similar about you Nick...  whistle:

Avebury and Longleat tomorrow and no computers till Tuesday, so TTFN

Captain Calamity meats the lions of Longleat?  scared2:

Alas poor ChoNick, we knew him well.  point: