Author Topic: Bank Holiday "fun"  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Bank Holiday "fun"
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »
My lot have erected our two scarecrows (It is the village Scarecrow Festival Week) ~ one either side of the front door (Mr Rain and Mrs Sunshine is the theme for our house this year) and have now departed on a berry picking expedition up the mountain. Minimus is at a Birthday Party later this afternoon so that really takes care of today.

If the sloes and blackberries are ready (and they usually are by now) tomorrow will be a day of jam making and planting up of the Autumn and Winter tubs and hanging baskets (320 bedding plants, pansies and wallflowers, arrived in our absence yesterday). If no berries then we will just be doing the planting.

Bank Holiday Monday we (lil Bruvver and self assisted by the boys) plan to be sawing & chopping kindling during the morning in readiness for the winter and repairing a garden wall vandalised recently. If the weather holds we hope to be going to the beach for a picnic in the afternoon. If the weather is against us then an afternoon of cinematic delights via DVD awaits the children as I have a number of films they have not seen in reserve for just such an event.

Tuesday I shall be driving all over the village and three adjoining hamlets photographing the scarecrows and trying to sort out the prize winners ~ which involves more community politics than I would have thought possible. Then the pics will, by the end of the week, have to be uploaded to the web-site and the winners announced.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »
My lot have erected our two scarecrows (It is the village Scarecrow Festival Week) ~ one either side of the front door (Mr Rain and Mrs Sunshine is the theme for our house this year) and have now departed on a berry picking expedition up the mountain. Minimus is at a Birthday Party later this afternoon so that really takes care of today.

If the sloes and blackberries are ready (and they usually are by now) tomorrow will be a day of jam making and planting up of the Autumn and Winter tubs and hanging baskets (320 bedding plants, pansies and wallflowers, arrived in our absence yesterday). If no berries then we will just be doing the planting.

Bank Holiday Monday we (lil Bruvver and self assisted by the boys) plan to be sawing & chopping kindling during the morning in readiness for the winter and repairing a garden wall vandalised recently. If the weather holds we hope to be going to the beach for a picnic in the afternoon. If the weather is against us then an afternoon of cinematic delights via DVD awaits the children as I have a number of films they have not seen in reserve for just such an event.

Tuesday I shall be driving all over the village and three adjoining hamlets photographing the scarecrows and trying to sort out the prize winners ~ which involves more community politics than I would have thought possible. Then the pics will, by the end of the week, have to be uploaded to the web-site and the winners announced.

Why is 'sunshine' female?  cussing:
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »

Busy busy!

I am off to Tesco.Mrs Nick is mowing the lawn (it's a foot high  point:)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2008, 11:16:12 AM »

Why is 'sunshine' female?  cussing:

Because Mr Rain looked "fvcking stupid holding a posy of flowers" according to Minimus who then blushed and apologised when he realised that his brain/mouth filter had failed him. MrsS#2 was horrified at the language, I was too busy trying not to laugh to do more than give him a "look". He was, by the way, absolutely right.

Offline Nick

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »
 shocked003

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
Red Arrows have just been performing near by and we had a grand view from the front windows.  ;D

They are on Merseyside on Monday, Nick and TG, if you are interested. (Hoylake Lifeboat Day)

www.raf.mod.uk/reds/ for details

Offline Nick

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
Ta.

Will go to see that!!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
Change of plan ~ after much faffing, consultation of various weather forecasters and telephone calls to her mother, added to the lack of berries in the mountain side meadow, it was finally decided to visit her mother in Lincolnshire today. Accordingly I waved them goodbye at 7.45 this morning. lil Bruvver is coming over today to do the wood chopping etc leaving tomorrow free to do other, yet to be decided, things that may include a trip to Hoylake to see the Arrows again. ::) I do enjoy their displays but it is hard to get the boys to understand that having been  in the RAF and seen the Arrows up close many times (including refuelling them and having them practise their routines over my head day in and day out) I am not necessarily as thrilledeager to see them every other day of the holiday ~ too much like work. Still we will see what tomorrow brings.

Offline Nick

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2008, 09:08:23 AM »
I can find no information about this alleged display on the RA site or the Hoylake lifeboat one. Are you sure? rubschin:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:05 AM »
I do enjoy their displays but it is hard to get the boys to understand that having been  in the RAF and seen the Arrows up close many times (including refuelling them and having them practise their routines over my head day in and day out)

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYER5zhj26Y
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
I can find no information about this alleged display on the RA site or the Hoylake lifeboat one. Are you sure? rubschin:

All right I'll take you by the hand and do all the links on the sites for you  ::)

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/august08.cfm

AND

http://www.hoylakelifeboat.org.uk/open_day.htm

Offline Nick

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
Thanks. They don't make it very easy.That Hoylake website is horrid  sick2:

Yakovlev display team will be appearing at 3pm.

A mate of mine is a pilot for that lot. I used to babysit him in the 70s  eeek:

Despite having seen action in Kosovo (Tornado pilot) he daren't tell his mum he's in an aerobatic team  lol:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »
Looks like a good show. If the weather is fine we may well drive round and park up somewhere with a view of the flying but not close enough to get involved with the other events.

Offline Nick

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »
The Boy and I will be there. Mrs Nick may be busy under the patio  eveilgrin: