Disgusterous

Author Topic: Where is a hijacker when you need one?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Where is a hijacker when you need one?
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
Take a load of failed celeb wannabes and turn them into a flight crew? God that sounds like the long haul flight from hell.  eeek:

It's the latest in a long line of reality TV shows and this time the contestants are taking to the skies as budding airhosts and hostesses on CelebAir. Donned in regulation uniform and neck ties the celebrities will serve real passengers, with the worst performers being voted off each week. Newsbeat took a ride on one of the first flights to experience it first hand.

So what is CelebAir?

There are 11 'celebrities' including X Factor loser Chico and Steps singer Lisa Scott Lee, who have been trained as cabin crew to work aboard a plane with other professional air stewards and hostesses.

The aircraft has been rebranded both outside and in - you won't forget where you are.

The likes of ex-Blazing Squad member Kenzie and Page Three model Michelle Marsh do everything from checking you in to serving your meal whilst, of course, being filmed.

All passengers have to fill in a feedback form saying who did the best job. Each week one of the 'celebs' gets fired.

There is a special CelebAir lounge at Gatwick, where Newsbeat was greeted by Lisa Scott Lee and husband Jonny Shentall.

They both looked like they just walked out of a Steps video. She was very sweet and he took charge when we all needed to head to the gate.

Essentially it is a bunch of the 'not so famous' wanting to get their faces on the telly.

But Lisa told us they know there will be critics. She said: "The reason we wanted to do it is because it's fun. We don't care what people say or what they think, we're just doing it for a laugh."

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Maybe one of the worst reality TV shows ever? Perhaps not. Reality TV shows filmed at airports are really popular - ITV's Airline pulled in over four million viewers for its last series - so the makers could be on to a winner.

On board CelebAir

On board, Lisa Mafia of So Solid Crew fame and Michelle Marsh served breakfast.

They both looked nervous and were concentrating very hard. Lisa said: "It's really hectic but I'm enjoying it, it's a laugh."

Michelle Marsh is worried about the rowdy men: "Stag do's or anything like that, I think I'll definitely get it (hassle) and you just have to deal with it.

"I don't know how because I can't tell them to get off the plane half way through the flight."

A quick glance around the plane and there were a number of other familiar faces.

Maggot from Goldie Lookin Chain is there, as is former rugby player Kyran Bracken and glamour model Bianca Gascoigne.

The journey home with Chico as our 'Trolley Dolly' is secretly what we've all been waiting for. He's all smiles as he greets us onto the plane calling everyone 'Darling' or 'Honey'. Even the men.

Chico proved popular with his 'What time is it?' catchphrase

Dan O'Connor from Neighbours and Mica Paris are the other cabin crew, but get slightly ignored in favour of Chico.

It's ridiculous how many times people ask him 'What time is it?' but he does respond accordingly.

He told Newsbeat: "I'm not nervous, I want to enjoy myself and have some fun. I love it, I love people, this is a job for people, for the people, by the people, to the people, it's all about the people."

Chico is probably the most relaxed and comfortable in the role. He could even win it.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Where is a hijacker when you need one?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
Here I am! eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:33:06 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:27:32 AM »
Well done BM - another 150 deaths treated lightly.

Anyway, surely there's no 'glamour' in being an air steward/ess these days. That went out with the advent of cheap foreign holidays. The cabin crew on my recent flight were mere shop assistants, selling drinks, snacks and duty free.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 07:32:11 AM »
Well done BM - another 150 deaths treated lightly.
Post holiday blues Uncle...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:38:23 AM »
Maybe. 

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:55:14 AM »
That went out with the advent of cheap foreign holidays. The cabin crew on my recent flight were mere shop assistants, selling drinks, snacks and duty free.

Hoping for something more in the lap-dancing line were we?

"Mere" seems rather harsh on those working in our valuable service industries.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »
We once flew from Amsterdam in what could best be described as a toy plane. (some sort of executive taxi pressed into service by KLM for a few passengers going to Luton. There were only 16 seats and all were full. I was in the aisle seat right by the cabin. The Stewardess was a well built Dutch lass who had to virtually sit on my lap to turn round everytime she came down the plane. Mrs S#2 and I were returning from our honeymoon ...... I enjoyed the flight so much the marriage almost ended there and then  eyes:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
Bucket of cold water, anyone?  eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile