Author Topic: What's the point of higher education?  (Read 8620 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: What's the point of higher education?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »
I was made to feel, and still am by Mr Wench's family, that if you don't have a degree you are an brainless faliure.

Then they are shallow and ill informed.

No wonder they get on your nerves.

I even know several quite clever and talented people who didn't go to Oxbridge.
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
I was made to feel, and still am by Mr Wench's family, that if you don't have a degree you are an brainless faliure.

Then they are shallow and ill informed.

No wonder they get on your nerves.

I even know several quite clever and talented people who didn't go to Oxbridge.

As do I. In fact most of my friends these days are degreeless. It doesn't mean they are any less intelligent than those that do have them. Just different priorities when that sort of thing came up.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
Maybe worth mentioning that in the six years it took her to get a BA(Hons) with the OU Mrs S#2 also managed to have two children. Yes it cost me money  but I saw and still see it as in investment. Actually the fees haven't gone up that much judging from Wenchy's quoted costs and, of course, wages have risen in the time since I was paying the fees.
She has just gained a PGCE as a part time student taken over the past two years whilst looking after me (in that time I have spent several weeks in hospital and had a heart attack), three children and working as a part time tutor (to gain the necessary teaching hours) teaching adults basic skills via the medium of "Arts and Crafts" in the community. The PGCE was paid for by a government grant which is available to fund all prospective teachers.
She did well enough on the PGCE course for the Uni to approach her with a proposal that has enabled her to progress to do an MA which her university will pay for in exchange for her doing some p/t lecture work and student mentoring for them on the next PGCE courses they run.

If you want to do it there is no such thing as "Cannot afford". It is always possible to find a way.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:27:02 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
And on the subject of the OU I think I can say (Having worked with them on Security at their summer schools) that the lecturers (At least most of them) and many of the students see the whole thing as a two week fvckathon. How much work gets done during the days I know not but I can assure you that many notches are placed upon many bed posts. Those lecturers and staff who are full time employees at Milton Keynes do compare notes on their success rate when they get back from summer school and Security were often called upon to verify claims.  whistle:

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »
Tell the truth, they have. Mrs Nick works at a "new"university and despairs.

But:

GCSE and A levels are easier
"Students" generally have to work now to fund their "education"
Schools are so dumbed down under NuLabou that they have been spoonfed for years and are shocked at the idea of reading books!
Her students often work all night in some Mac drive in cos their parents are too poor to pay the money or debts.

Madness

My son attends university of warwick, (but at mo in france on erazmus year) he has worked very hard, and is on for a first class degree, he does not work while at universtiy as dosent have the time due to studying, so he has to support himself through his student loans/bursary/and his fathers small contribution, he dosent piss it up wall he is well commited and focused, to much sometimes i worry! He will have to pay back it all wen he hopefully has well paid job in yrs to come, but i find it very sad that some have to work to much as to me that is affecting there university work and what it point in that might as well stay near to home uni an not have the expense of living away. i sometimes wonder how focused some students are though. i wish them all the luck in the world as not a easy time. scared2:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:29:59 PM by Mrs TG »
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »
The problem with having so many graduates is that having a Degree no longer guarantees a well paid job. Certainly the chap I cited in the opening post never had a job in the past three years that looked as if it was particularly well paid.

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
The problem with having so many graduates is that having a Degree no longer guarantees a well paid job. Certainly the chap I cited in the opening post never had a job in the past three years that looked as if it was particularly well paid.

well in my daughters case being in location she is living there is not any jobs in her field of degree but she still trying! but at mo working for dwp not bad paid actually, my son on other hand is a academic who i have great faith will be fine in his line of chosen career. eyes:
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
Maybe worth mentioning that in the six years it took her to get a BA(Hons) with the OU Mrs S#2 also managed to have two children. Yes it cost me money  but I saw and still see it as in investment. Actually the fees haven't gone up that much judging from Wenchy's quoted costs and, of course, wages have risen in the time since I was paying the fees.
She has just gained a PGCE as a part time student taken over the past two years whilst looking after me (in that time I have spent several weeks in hospital and had a heart attack), three children and working as a part time tutor (to gain the necessary teaching hours) teaching adults basic skills via the medium of "Arts and Crafts" in the community. The PGCE was paid for by a government grant which is available to fund all prospective teachers.
She did well enough on the PGCE course for the Uni to approach her with a proposal that has enabled her to progress to do an MA which her university will pay for in exchange for her doing some p/t lecture work and student mentoring for them on the next PGCE courses they run.

If you want to do it there is no such thing as "Cannot afford". It is always possible to find a way.

Well done to Mrs S as i could never have done that, and i was a stay at home mum when kids little etc! but was stressed to death. Banghead
Now i am free of all the stress and hassle to dam lazy to study again! so hence the poor life for me, unless Tg manages to pull off a nice cushy no and i can retire!!!!!  eyes:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »
 eeek:
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
Now i am free of all the stress and hassle to dam lazy to study again! so hence the poor life for me, unless Tg manages to pull off a nice cushy no and i can retire!!!!!  eyes:

"This is the self preservation society, the self preservation socierty"  eyes:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »

"This is the self preservation society, the self preservation socierty"  eyes:

To feckin' right!  cussing:

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:59 PM »
I always did see you as the Charlie Croker type TG.

The problem isnt just the large number of graduates, look at the range of courses you can do now. Degrees in Surfing or Science Fiction?  noooo:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »
I always did see you as the Charlie Croker type TG.

rubschin:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
It was the moggy what convinced me.  whistle: