Author Topic: What's the point of higher education?  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: What's the point of higher education?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
Yeah, that "put me down or I'll shred your arm look" is pretty indicative  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
And on the subject of the OU I think I can say (Having worked with them on Security at their summer schools) that the lecturers (At least most of them) and many of the students see the whole thing as a two week fvckathon. How much work gets done during the days I know not but I can assure you that many notches are placed upon many bed posts. Those lecturers and staff who are full time employees at Milton Keynes do compare notes on their success rate when they get back from summer school and Security were often called upon to verify claims.  whistle:

redface:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
The problem with having so many graduates is that having a Degree no longer guarantees a well paid job. Certainly the chap I cited in the opening post never had a job in the past three years that looked as if it was particularly well paid.

I did not attend University, it was not an option in my parents' eyes. Instead I became an apprentice with the RAF and went onto serve in the RAF for several years. Most of the officers I encountered had been to university. Long on argument, great in debating skills and mainly utterly dependant upon the NCOs to get anything done. Frankly the majority of graduate junior officers hadn't an iota of common sense between them. I cannot subscribe to the view that three years of drinking, fornication and taking great bundles of washing home to mummy in the vacations is a good preparation for earning a living in the future. Funny how those who have been to uni are always so quick to defend it as a preparation for life. There are other ways, just as good at honing the essential skills, available to those that wish to follow them. As for the many useless degrees now available through what are no more than renamed colleges of further education they really are not worth getting into debt for and they will not help anyone to a better job or a better future as Uncle Mort's example shows.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
The problem with having so many graduates is that having a Degree no longer guarantees a well paid job. Certainly the chap I cited in the opening post never had a job in the past three years that looked as if it was particularly well paid.

I did not attend University, it was not an option in my parents' eyes. Instead I became an apprentice with the RAF and went onto serve in the RAF for several years. Most of the officers I encountered had been to university. Long on argument, great in debating skills and mainly utterly dependant upon the NCOs to get anything done. Frankly the majority of graduate junior officers hadn't an iota of common sense between them. I cannot subscribe to the view that three years of drinking, fornication and taking great bundles of washing home to mummy in the vacations is a good preparation for earning a living in the future. Funny how those who have been to uni are always so quick to defend it as a preparation for life. There are other ways, just as good at honing the essential skills, available to those that wish to follow them. As for the many useless degrees now available through what are no more than renamed colleges of further education they really are not worth getting into debt for and they will not help anyone to a better job or a better future as Uncle Mort's example shows.

Never knock it till you try it. point:.. my two kids (one been an one going through) the  university process, and it will be worth it debt included, only way they could have done it, and they both have lots of Common sense ! so everyone to there own choice of what they want too do in life. i work in uni health centre, and there are differant types of student i can tell you. but i am proud of what my kids haven done,  i would encourage any bright child to do it if they want too. i never had the choice or the brains to do it, so always encouraged but never pushed them to do well. my older son attended special school due to learning difficulties so wasent a option for him, he has a nice job in lime street station and i am very proud of him for doing that.
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »

Never knock it till you try it. point:.. my two kids (one been an one going through) the  university process, and it will be worth it debt included, only way they could have done it, and they both have lots of Common sense ! so everyone to there own choice of what they want too do in life. i work in uni health centre, and there are differant types of student i can tell you. but i am proud of what my kids haven done,  i would encourage any bright child to do it if they want too. i never had the choice or the brains to do it, so always encouraged but never pushed them to do well. my older son attended special school due to learning difficulties so wasent a option for him, he has a nice job in lime street station and i am very proud of him for doing that.

Which proves the very point I was trying to make. ::)

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »

very long winded as i couldent seem to grasp what point you where trying to make!
The opportunities are there for the taking for the young these days, wish i was young again i tell ya!
oh well.... eyes:
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Nick

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
You could always sign up for the OU.

redface:

Mr Nick: OU staff member and SUmmer School lothario 1981-1986 (York was the best)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »

very long winded as i couldent seem to grasp what point you where trying to make!
The opportunities are there for the taking for the young these days, wish i was young again i tell ya!
oh well.... eyes:

Sorry ~ I'll try to keep it simple in future.

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 06:07:07 PM »

oh well.... eyes:

Sorry ~ I'll try to keep it simple in future.

You cant half gab for a man..i thought i was bad... point:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »
The only difference my dear is that I do it in English.  whistle:

Offline Nick

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2008, 10:03:54 AM »
 shocked003

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
Woof woof woof-woof bark bark woof woof woof bark bark woof.  whistle:
rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
You forgot the panting

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »
 evil: You leave my pants out of this.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 07:38:41 AM »
And on the subject of the OU I think I can say (Having worked with them on Security at their summer schools) that the lecturers (At least most of them) and many of the students see the whole thing as a two week fvckathon. How much work gets done during the days I know not but I can assure you that many notches are placed upon many bed posts. Those lecturers and staff who are full time employees at Milton Keynes do compare notes on their success rate when they get back from summer school and Security were often called upon to verify claims.  whistle:

redface:

I attended a Maths summer school at Durham. Plenty of geeks, very few girlies.  cry: