Author Topic: What on earth will they call it  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
What on earth will they call it
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »
Lloyds TSB are in merger talks with HBOS and the Government have indicated that they will override any objections from the Competition Regulators. http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hFZPndm9Es-6WgEiwz-F7J8TOLfg

BUT Lloyds Bank merged with the Trustees Savings Bank and after some tongue twisting weeks became Lloyds TSB

The Bank of Scotland merged with the Halifax Building Society and after a similar bout of confusion became HBOS (Pronounced Aitch Boss)

What can they possible call the new merged bank, if the merger happens ~ LloydsTSBHBOS?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: What on earth will they call it
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 06:00:50 PM »
Lloyds TSB are in merger talks with HBOS and the Government have indicated that they will override any objections from the Competition Regulators. http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hFZPndm9Es-6WgEiwz-F7J8TOLfg

BUT Lloyds Bank merged with the Trustees Savings Bank and after some tongue twisting weeks became Lloyds TSB

The Bank of Scotland merged with the Halifax Building Society and after a similar bout of confusion became HBOS (Pronounced Aitch Boss)

What can they possible call the new merged bank, if the merger happens ~ LloydsTSBHBOS?
TOSS?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:13:24 PM »

TOSS?  whistle:

LOSS came to mind as I typed the question

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »

TOSS?  whistle:

LOSS came to mind as I typed the question
Of course...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:06 PM »
Love Looking Over Your Dire Straits - Happy Band Of Shysters?

whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »
I see the cyber squatters have already started. Its a waste of time though as there is every possiblity that Lloyds will let HBOS continue as a trading style meaning the website addresses wouldnt need to be changed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7621647.stm
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
There ought to be laws  evil:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »
It seems that there are laws but, according to the Chancellor, nobody actually enforced them  cussing: At least that was the gist of what he seemed to be saying on Radio Four this morning ~ when Numpty let him get a word in that is.

Anywhoo ~ the deed is done HBOS and Lloyds TSB are a couple ~ jobs will be shed, "savings " will be made through economies of scale and someone, somewhere will make a shed load of cash.

And that brings us to the big question ~ just who is driving this? All the major banks around the world are in turmoil, stock market figures in every country are up and down like a whore's drawers, Governments throughout both the Western world and the Far East are at a loss and are threatening yet more legislation, pensions are going down the pan and the jobless totals will rise universally. When we had the Tory ERM debacle George Soros made money, lots of money and he wasn't alone but I believe him when he says he didn't cause the problem, he just saw it coming and took advantage of it. So who is doing the manipulation behind the scenes? It is not in the Governments' interests as this will finish many of them off. The banks certainly don't want it to happen and the average man in the street couldn't make it happen if he tried. OK mortgages were given to people who should perhaps not have had them but they didn't all default at once. House prices were too high, artificially so perhaps in some cases, but whilst there is a lack of housing then prices are bound to go up. None of this explains why this has happened now. Who pulled the plug is what I want to know. Who stands to make most out of this and how did they manage to engineer a world wide collapse of the financial system? Is it perhaps a new and sophisticated Islamist ploy? They certainly have plenty of money but somehow I don't think it would be in their interests. Oil prices are dropping like a stone (but not on the petrol forecourts) and food prices, as bumper harvests throughout most of the world will ensure,  will drop next year too.
OR is it that it really is simply a lemming like desire to "even things out" on the part of humankind that comes round every twenty to thirty years.

One thing I do know is that my house is still worth three times what I paid for it, my works pittance pension will not decrease and I am actually no worse off than I was this time last year. I am glad I have no savings, stocks, shares or any major commitments so I'm afraid I am saying "I'm all right Jack" and waiting to see just who has profited from it all.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:21:40 AM »
Are you trying to start a conspiracy theory on the banking collapse?

There are probably many reasons why but to me it's the irresponsible lending especially to house buyers (sub-prime and it's uk equivalent) and the selling on of those loans. Once the defaulting starts...  eeek:

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »
So you by pass competition laws to create what is likely going to be the largest UK bank. Am I the only one who sees a potential future problem with that?

And if Gordo wants to clean up the city then start by slamming taxes on the ridiculous bonuses and golden farewells that the city traders have been able to rack up working in a deregulated environment.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
Are you trying to start a conspiracy theory on the banking collapse?

There are probably many reasons why but to me it's the irresponsible lending especially to house buyers (sub-prime and it's uk equivalent) and the selling on of those loans. Once the defaulting starts...  eeek:

No I am not trying to start a conspiracy theory on the banking collapse ~ I am trying to gain some sensible opinions as to what is at the bottom of it all. My own feeling is that it is the natural greed of mankind and the cyclical nature of these events would suggest that it happens about once very generation as the lessons learned by one generation are ignored by the next on the time honoured principle that "My father was a fool, I know better" and who among us with teenage children haven't heard that idea  ::)

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »
They don't have to be teenagers  evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:51:09 AM »
I rest my case.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:53:36 AM »
Fear not, we are all safe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7623053.stm

scared2:
What a complete  censored:

See also, Chancellor Alistair Darling...   noooo: