Disgusterous

Author Topic: Allegations against police rise  (Read 805 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Allegations against police rise
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:59:15 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7633492.stm

In essence the story is that a huge increase in complaints against the police has been noted.
Well I ofr one am not surprised, in fact the only thing I would say has surprised me is that the total number of complaints is not much higher. The police now behave is such an aggressive manner toward everyone they come into contact with that people are going to complain of "incivility, impoliteness and intolerance" or in my language downright rudeness when policemen are encouraged to strut around in paramilitary style uniforms and are frankly so sh*t scared of conflict that they stand off any given situation until they have enough back-up.
I approached two policemen in Rhyl recently to make a perfectly innocent enquiry about the whereabouts of a particular street. I said "Excuse me officer but can you tell me how to get to XXXXX Street?" One officer immediately backed off and took up a defensive position, presumably to support his colleague if I turned out to be a terrorist or something. I am white, clearly overweight and in poor condition, 61 years of age with white hair. What made him think I might be a threat? The officer to whom I had addressed my question replied "Why do you want to know?" ~ Not unreasonably I replied "Because I want to go there" He came back with "What for?" I told him I would ask at the post office and walked away. They followed me to the post office where I made my enquiry, got the directions, went back to my car and drove off. Having seen me get into my car one was straight on the radio, presumably to see if it was stolen and the way they check these things there is now no doubt a computerised, one sided account of my "brush with the law" on a file somewhere.
OK maybe they didn't know the place I was looking for, maybe they had been seconded in to patrol Rhyl from elsewhere (that happens a lot nowadays) but why the suspicion, why the questioning of my motives and why the aggression? I can only assume it is sheer funk. In truth they are afraid to be out of their comfort zone i.e. the Police Canteen or their Patrol Car.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Allegations against police rise
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
I am white, clearly overweight and in poor condition, 61 years of age with white hair. What made him think I might be a threat?

1. Maybe they visit this place?

2. Maybe there are few people of your description asking directions to the Rhyl Taliban reading rooms and recruitment office?
I mostly despair

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:48:24 AM »
Was there anything in the street you were looking for that might be considered of national security importance?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
And maybe the moon really is made of green cheese but my little tale does illustrate why more people are complaining about the police "attitude" than ever before. Of course most of those who would have cause for complaint will never say so, being Black, Muslim, Youngsters etc or like me many who just can't be arsed but it does shed a light on our society.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
Was there anything in the street you were looking for that might be considered of national security importance?

No I was looking for a house that had advertised a child's bicycle for sale.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

Aha! Children. Were you wearing anything Glittery?
I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »
It's all part of the 'guilty until proved innocent' mindset that seems to pervade all those in authority now.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »

Only my personality

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:00:06 AM »

Only my personality
drumroll:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
It's all down to a sheer lack of manners. I dare say these police persons were quite young?

I had a similar response when I reported an abandoned car near our house - they turned up and their manner left me feeling like I was the criminal responsible.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
I like that Road Wars program on Sky – especially when some young thug is caught and receives a good kicking in the cells…  cloud9:

However, some of the police action when confronting ‘innocent until proven guilty’ members of the public is quite shocking.  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
I like that Road Wars program on Sky – especially when some young thug is caught and receives a good kicking in the cells…  cloud9:

However, some of the police action when confronting ‘innocent until proven guilty’ members of the public is quite shocking.  noooo:

Forget Sky. Drop by here next time you're over and watch it Live  eeek:  Plus you'll get the added thrill of the Cop Chopper overhead (which, incidentally we've had three times this week due to some Met. Op. down the road  evil:)

I know it's clearly different in different parts of the country but here it's a running battle and, on balance I'm right behind them.
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"