Author Topic: I'm not sure about this  (Read 669 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
I'm not sure about this
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
There is a part of me that agrees with this idea, having been an army cadet when I was a kid and it did me no harm. But on the the other hand I can hear Frankie Boyle going on about it saying "take a bunch of bored teenagers and give them guns".

More school pupils are being encouraged to join the cadets and experience the discipline of a military life.

Schools ministers Lord Adonis believes being a cadet can foster confidence, self-reliance and resourcefulness.

Teaching union Voice believes widening cadet membership could help improve pupil behaviour and self-discipline.

Opponents see it as a soft way of introducing pupils to the idea of an army career, but ministers deny this.

The Ministry of Defence, which has overall responsibility for the Combined Cadet Force, said this increased access to cadet force places was was in no way an underhand recruitment policy.

'Valuable attributes'

Derek Twigg, Under Secretary of State for Defence, said thanks to a new scheme more school children will now have the opportunity to feel the benefits of the cadet system, building discipline, respect and professionalism.

It was part of a cross-government strategy to improve support to the Armed Forces, their families and Veterans, he added.

This calls for more cadet places to made available to secondary pupils in deprived areas and Academies.

There are 132,000 young people in cadet forces and 200 community based cadet forces in secondary schools in the UK.

The first stage of this new initiative will see six partnerships between state schools and nearby independent schools which already have a Combined Cadet Force.

A further six partnerships are in the process of being drawn up.

Cadets take part in military themed activities such as training and assault courses, first aid and learning how to handle rifles and dismantle weapons.

Lord Adonis said cadets could be a real force for good in our schools.

"The experience provides not only fun, healthy activities for young people but they also encourage valuable personal attributes, help to build skills and, using military themes based upon the culture and ethos of the single Services, foster confidence, self reliance, initiative, resourcefulness, loyalty and a sense of service to others."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: I'm not sure about this
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
Self discipline is instilled by teaching personal pride and creating an "Esprit De Corps". It is the lack of self discipline and a general feeling of alienation among the yoof of today that is the root of the problem.
The first thing that happened to stroppy teenagers when I signed on was that we were left in no doubt who was giving the orders and what would happen if we didn't obey instantly.

Nowadays the services have gone a bit soft on recruits but they have had to because the kids that do sign up have received little or no discipline at home or at school. I'm sorry but a fifteen minute detention is not going to punish anyone. Especially when the punishment has to be deferred until the following day and is at lunchtime because they dare not make a kid miss the school bus. Result is that the miscreant has to sit in the classroom doing bugger all whilst their classmates are standing  outside in the pissing rain because they are not allowed to remain in the premises unsupervised and the teachers insist on having their forty minute lunch break. (The reality of life at Prestatyn High School). Discipline now has to be built up slowly in the Army to get round this problem.

Yes I think that 12 or 18 months National Service would be a good thing and Army Cadet Forces in Schools too ~ but only if the shouting and drilling is backed up by real discipline.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
I want a gun  eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »
I want a gun  eveilgrin:

NO!!!!! You cause enough destruction and devastation on your own. Giving you a gun would be a really bad idea.  scared2:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
I want a gun
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:36:35 AM »
Self discipline is instilled by teaching personal pride and creating an "Esprit De Corps". It is the lack of self discipline and a general feeling of alienation among the yoof of today that is the root of the problem.
The first thing that happened to stroppy teenagers when I signed on was that we were left in no doubt who was giving the orders and what would happen if we didn't obey instantly.

Nowadays the services have gone a bit soft on recruits but they have had to because the kids that do sign up have received little or no discipline at home or at school. I'm sorry but a fifteen minute detention is not going to punish anyone. Especially when the punishment has to be deferred until the following day and is at lunchtime because they dare not make a kid miss the school bus. Result is that the miscreant has to sit in the classroom doing bugger all whilst their classmates are standing  outside in the pissing rain because they are not allowed to remain in the premises unsupervised and the teachers insist on having their forty minute lunch break. (The reality of life at Prestatyn High School). Discipline now has to be built up slowly in the Army to get round this problem.

Yes I think that 12 or 18 months National Service would be a good thing and Army Cadet Forces in Schools too ~ but only if the shouting and drilling is backed up by real discipline.
Agreed... I think National Service would be an excellent idea... it certainly works here.

And for all those that say the army wouldn't want them I think that it bollocks. I bet there are thousands of retired RSMs that would love to have a pop at installing some discipline in an unruly bunch of teens. They have the space too, plenty of empty army bases...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:32:08 PM »

I read this, and surge of patriotic fervour engulfed my very being....I stood up, unfurled my union jack, saluted and broke into the first few lines of Ther'll always be an England Huzzah Snoopy!!!!