Disgusterous

Author Topic: Buy Pirate DVDs  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Buy Pirate DVDs
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »
I've whinged about this before (at t'other place prolly)...

I hate it when you pay full price for a DVD and are then forced to sit through that 'don't steal DVDs' thing and you can't watch the DVD without sitting through it...

FFS if I'd stolen it I wouldn't have to sit through the stupid thing 'cos the pirate would have taken it off!  cussing:

But last night we watched Charlie Wilson's War (good movie, Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts  eyes:).

At the beginning of the film you have to sit through an appeal for AIDS victims or some such for five minute before the 'don't steal this DVD' shite comes on...  Banghead

I don't see why I should be forced to sit through anything other than the movie having paid for it! And when I settle down with my glass of wine and bowl of popcorn I definitely don't want to see some African bird dying of AIDS 'cos her husband slept around - filthy bastard!

Bastards!  cussing:

In future I shall only buy pirate DVDs from market stalls and fund international terrorism or whatever else they can do with my two quid after making the disc and look-alike cover. Fuck them!

angry037

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Buy Pirate DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:56:35 AM »
I take it your DVD Player doesn't have a "Skip" facility on the remote so you don't even have to get off your arse to avoid watching the trailers whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »
I take it your DVD Player doesn't have a "Skip" facility on the remote so you don't even have to get off your arse to avoid watching the trailers whistle:
No... It says 'This function is prohibited by the DVD or whatever'...  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:59:45 AM »
I'll send my boys over. They don't seem to have a problem with all the shite that takes up at least ten minutes at the beginning of their collection of Disney DVDs.

Me? I never watch the stuff anyway.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:00:36 AM »
I'll send my boys over. They don't seem to have a problem with all the shite that takes up at least ten minutes at the beginning of their collection of Disney DVDs.

Me? I never watch the stuff anyway.
Was a good movie actually...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »
TBH The only DVD films (movies) in this house have either been given to us as presents (and how boring is that for an idea sleep017 when you can't actually be arsed to look for a decent gift) or have come free with Sunday newspapers. There is no way on earth that I would buy a DVD movie that I know will be on TV within months anyway ~ and then I can record it on my DVD recorder  whistle:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
In future I shall only buy pirate DVDs from market stalls and fund international terrorism or whatever else they can do with my two quid after making the disc and look-alike cover. Fuck them!

What a good idea  ::)

From today's  Independent   

At first glance, DVD-selling looks like an easy job for a beginner. You buy the DVD for £1.75 a disk and sell it on for £3. But it isn't that simple. The trade is controlled across Britain by armed criminal gangs. Once you start selling for them, you are given strict targets to sell more and more DVDs each day. And if you try to get away?

Pai tells the story of an ordinary Chinese man called Ah-Hua. He started selling 10 DVDs a day for a notorious gang known as the Dong Bi, which operates all over Britain.

But soon they were making impossible demands on him. When he couldn't take the pressure any more, Ah-Hua told them he wanted out. Pai explains: "That night, five Dong Bi gang members pushed their way into his flat. They beat him up until he lay helpless on the floor. Then they dragged him out of flat, blindfolded him, and drove off into the night."

He was held captive for three weeks. His captors told him that they had located his family in Fuqing by going through his mobile phone. They would release him if he could pressure his family to come up with £12,000 to "buy" his freedom. Within a week, his wife had borrowed the money at sky-high rates of interest. Today, he works in Chinatown as a kitchen porter, paying off the price of his freedom.

I agree with you about the 'don't buy pirate copies' trailer though. Also the whole DRM business. If I've bought a DVD or some CD's then why cannot I copy them how I wish. I'm an honest person, I'm not going to sell copies of to all and sundry.

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:53:31 AM »
Of course, of course

char048
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:11 AM »
Whatever.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
BM should get a video machine

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
Betamax prolly.

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »
Yup

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
From today's  Independent   

At first glance, DVD-selling looks like an easy job for a beginner. You buy the DVD for £1.75 a disk and sell it on for £3. But it isn't that simple. The trade is controlled across Britain by armed criminal gangs. Once you start selling for them, you are given strict targets to sell more and more DVDs each day. And if you try to get away?

Pai tells the story of an ordinary Chinese man called Ah-Hua. He started selling 10 DVDs a day for a notorious gang known as the Dong Bi, which operates all over Britain.

But soon they were making impossible demands on him. When he couldn't take the pressure any more, Ah-Hua told them he wanted out. Pai explains: "That night, five Dong Bi gang members pushed their way into his flat. They beat him up until he lay helpless on the floor. Then they dragged him out of flat, blindfolded him, and drove off into the night."

He was held captive for three weeks. His captors told him that they had located his family in Fuqing by going through his mobile phone. They would release him if he could pressure his family to come up with £12,000 to "buy" his freedom. Within a week, his wife had borrowed the money at sky-high rates of interest. Today, he works in Chinatown as a kitchen porter, paying off the price of his freedom.

Is it April 1st already?
I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »
Let's laugh at the funny foreign names shall we?  ::)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »
Those adverts bug the hell out of me, the idea that by buying a pirate dvd I fund the drugs trade just seems ludicrous. If you cant make money selling heroin and cocaine then you aren't going to manage it with dodgy knock off films.

The majority of people who watch pirated films are file sharers anyway. Look on the average torrent site and you will see hundreds of films, many not even out in the cinema yet. Criminals dont make any money out of that because they are free downloads. Its the same with software and music cd's
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.