Author Topic: Well that makes it alright then. Appeals court does it again.  (Read 365 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Well that makes it alright then. Appeals court does it again.
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »
I'm sure that when Calum is old enough to understand whats going on he will accept the fact that the courts reduced the sentence of the woman who killed his mother a few days after he was born.

I'm certain he'll be fine with the fact that the reason he will never know his mother is that his killer wasnt 'mature enough'.

I'm sorry, she chose to get off her head on vodka and cocaine and then chose to repeatedly stab this stranger when she tried to defuse an argument.

Well I hope that when Calum is old enough he has the chance to see the judges in the court of appeal who reduced his mothers killers sentence and can ask them why they felt it was justified. Its about time that they had the chance to see the human cost of the crimes they slash the sentences on.

A teenager who stabbed a young mother to death after bingeing on drink and drugs has had her minimum sentence cut by three years at the Court of Appeal.

Jordan Jobson, 16, repeatedly knifed Samantha Madgin, 18, when two groups of youths clashed in Wallsend, North Tyneside, in August last year.

She was sentenced to life with a minimum of 15 years before parole after being convicted of murder in March.

The minimum term was cut after judges heard it was "manifestly excessive".

Mr Justice David Clarke, sitting with Lord Justice Dyson and Mr Justice Henriques, said the most "powerful argument" in her favour was "her very young age and lack of maturity at the time of the offence", which he described as a "terrible act". 

The appeal court heard she had been led into a life of alcohol and drugs by a boyfriend who was three years older.

The judges stressed the period set was simply a minimum - and did not mean that she was entitled to parole after that term had expired.

Jobson, of Holywell Avenue, Walker, who was 15 at the time of the killing, drank lager and vodka and took lines of cocaine before the attack in an alleyway.

She armed herself with a knife and stabbed Ms Madgin 10 times when the young mother tried to intervene in a dispute between her friends and two men.

Ms Madgin had given birth to her son Callum just 10 weeks earlier.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.