Author Topic: The all new what are you giving for Christmas thread  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: The all new what are you giving for Christmas thread
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
Further to my comment re homework. The Teenage Hormone Wreck has had her own Lap-top and printer for a couple of years.
Last week she was both "heartbroken" and incensed to have ALL of her English and History course work returned to her by the two respective teachers as unacceptable because she had done it on her lap-top and it was not handwritten.

Much weeping and gnashing of teeth, shouts of "UNFAIR" rang through the land and I said ... "I told you so but you wouldn't listen ~ as always you knew best ~ now shut up and start writing" whistle:

I.T. is the only subject that demands computer useage. For other subjects it is handy but most teachers and ALL examination boards say that too much reliance on computers endangers genuine original work by the student and suggests that they are taking "the easy route and copying work".
Despite T Bliar's promise that every child will have a computer a great many do not. Access to school computers at the THW's school has to be booked 14 days in advance and preference is given to those doing IT at GCSE level. It is therefore impossible for teachers to expect homework/coursework to be done on a computer and they want everyone to be playing at the same level in order that the teachers may grade work properly ~ so paper and pen it is and will remain so for a long time yet.
At least if she copies out the word-processed homework in her own fair hand, the spelling and grammar should be 100% correct. (Unless her PC is set to "Colonial" of course)
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
Further to my comment re homework. The Teenage Hormone Wreck has had her own Lap-top and printer for a couple of years.
Last week she was both "heartbroken" and incensed to have ALL of her English and History course work returned to her by the two respective teachers as unacceptable because she had done it on her lap-top and it was not handwritten.

Much weeping and gnashing of teeth, shouts of "UNFAIR" rang through the land and I said ... "I told you so but you wouldn't listen ~ as always you knew best ~ now shut up and start writing" whistle:

I.T. is the only subject that demands computer useage. For other subjects it is handy but most teachers and ALL examination boards say that too much reliance on computers endangers genuine original work by the student and suggests that they are taking "the easy route and copying work".
Despite T Bliar's promise that every child will have a computer a great many do not. Access to school computers at the THW's school has to be booked 14 days in advance and preference is given to those doing IT at GCSE level. It is therefore impossible for teachers to expect homework/coursework to be done on a computer and they want everyone to be playing at the same level in order that the teachers may grade work properly ~ so paper and pen it is and will remain so for a long time yet.
At least if she copies out the word-processed homework in her own fair hand, the spelling and grammar should be 100% correct. (Unless her PC is set to "Colonial" of course)

You would have thought so wouldn't you ~ but then, like me, you are a reasonable person. The THW however does not believe her spell checker and simply overrides it. She is, after all, a 15 year old GCSE student and, as we all know, they know best about everything  ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »

You would have thought so wouldn't you ~ but then, like me, you are a reasonable person. The THW however does not believe her spell checker and simply overrides it. She is, after all, a 15 year old GCSE student and, as we all know, they know best about everything  ::)
doh:
Silly me, of course. noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
Anyway back to Christmas!

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
Is that food, decorations or a spillage?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 05:15:36 PM »
That's not spillage... That's delicious and exquisitely crafted, sumptuously tasting M&S Spillage, only £16.95 for a guaranteed romantic night at home. The chocolate will be all over the sofa, the metal decoration on your loved one's head and God knows where the nuts will end up.
M&S, your kind of Christmas  cloud9:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Online Nick

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »
Crown or pastrycutter?

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »
Crown definitely. Look at the shape, 6 pointed, Star of David... must be M&S  rubschin:

Online Nick

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
Is that a festive starfish then?

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »

Silly boy.  ::)

Starfish=five pointed=Gentile.
I mostly despair

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »

Silly boy.  ::)

Starfish=five pointed=Gentile.

Thank you DS. At last a man who knows his Stars from his Hell Boys.

Online Nick

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »
No, that brown thing on the huge cinnamon log  Banghead

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »
Oh that!  rubschin:

Giant slice of Kiwi fruit, battered and dusted in cinnamon? Overgrown Okra? Who knows? It's a surprise after all  bom

Online Nick

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
No, it's a starfish. Festive south of the equator

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster