Disgusterous

Author Topic: Put him in the Tower  (Read 662 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Put him in the Tower
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:57:47 PM »
I could be mistaken here but surely passing on secrets to a foreign hostime power classes as treason?

LONDON (Reuters) - A British soldier became a spy for Iran after becoming angry at being passed over for promotion and what he perceived as racial discrimination, a court heard on Monday.

Corporal Daniel James, 45, contacted Iranian officials in Kabul while working as an interpreter for General David Richards, the British commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, prosecutors told the Old Bailey.

"The allegation in this case is that during the latter part of 2006, the defendant's loyalty to this country wavered and his loyalties turned to Iran, the country of his birth," prosecutor Mark Dennis said.

"He turned his back on those with whom he was serving in Afghanistan and sought to become an agent for a foreign power, and to provide information which would or might be of use to those who were actually engaged in active conflict with the peace-keeping force."

James made telephone contact with a colonel working as Iran's military attache at the Iranian embassy in Kabul and sent him a coded message in an email, the court was told.

He was arrested in December 2006, a few months after contact had been made, so that his activities were "nipped in the bud," Dennis said.

The prosecutor said James, who had previously worked as a salsa dance teacher and in nightclubs in Brighton, was a fantasist and this had been part of the motivation for his actions.

"He has been described as something of a Walter Mitty character who would no doubt find his new clandestine role as something exciting and special," Dennis said.

"The concern in this case is not so much the actual damage done ... but in the potential damage that could have occurred if the defendant's activities had not been curtailed by his early detection and arrest."

James denies three charges under the Official Secrets Act of communicating and collecting information likely to be useful to an enemy, and wilful misconduct in a public office.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Put him in the Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Have we declared hostimities then?

Must have missed that. . .
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
No ~ Treason is an offence that endangers the Queen, her heirs and successors and certain other senior figures.
The offences alleged here are covered by the Official Secrets Act.

Treason is a much discussed law, little used. According to this from the BBC it is being reviewed.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7288516.stm
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »

Dont know what a hostimity is so I cant answer that one Darwin  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »

Dont know what a hostimity is so I cant answer that one Darwin  whistle:

whistle:

I could be mistaken here but surely passing on secrets to a foreign hostime power classes as treason?
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
 redface: Bugger, thats what happens when I try to type while sotring out the other computer at the same time

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
redface: Bugger, thats what happens when I try to type while sotring out the other computer at the same time

Yep ~ we can see that you get your Rs in the wrong place.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »

Yep ~ we can see that you get your Rs in the wrong place.

Can't find them with both hands I heard.  whistle:
I mostly despair