Disgusterous

Author Topic: NHS Trust buys a Yacht  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
NHS Trust buys a Yacht
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:01:19 AM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/why-does-an-nhs-trust-need-a-163400000-yacht-961408.html

In essence Hull Primary Heath Care Trust has bought an ocean going racing yacht claiming that it will help create employment for youngsters in their area.
WTF has this to do with Health Care?

Sorry but this should, if it is really necessary, not be funded by the NHS but by the Department for Work and Pensions.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: NHS Trust buys a Yacht
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »
And why can't said youngsters be set to work cleaning hospitals?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:13:28 AM »
Cleaning is demeaning innit.  evil:

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:54 AM »
So who will swab the decks?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »
Keel haul them!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »
So who will swab the decks?

NHS cleaners I 'spect  ::)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
It sounds like this is going to be a floating brat camp that will teach employable skills. If that is the case and say 100 out of 150 people get jpbs after being in it then it will pay for itself in about 2 years.

Truth be told it isnt that more stupid than any Government run initiative to get the young working so I'll hold judgement untill I've seen some results.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 05:28:56 AM »
It sounds like this is going to be a floating brat camp that will teach employable skills. If that is the case and say 100 out of 150 people get jpbs after being in it then it will pay for itself in about 2 years.

Truth be told it isnt that more stupid than any Government run initiative to get the young working so I'll hold judgement untill I've seen some results.
What bollocks IMHO!  cussing:

Any 'brat' that is unable to learn skills normally (i.e. in school or college) without being tempted by an easy life of crime will come to nothing however many 'treats' like this are foisted on them at taxpayers expense...

They need to be taught the harsh realities of the world - work hard, toe the line and make something of yourself... not that misbehaving brings you a life on the ocean wave and special treatment....  cussing:

The problem with these schemes and others like them (we've all seem them - drive a racing car, fly to the moon, etc.) is that teaching them how an engine works and giving them a AAA* for turning up for a few days doesn't fundamentally change their attitude to work and society. They are nothing and they'll come to nothing unless the rules and realities that the rest of us live by are taught to them - by force if necessary...

IMHO of course... 
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
Praps we could get a U Boat,like  whistle:

Or a mine.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »

Whilst that is the excuse and irrespective as to whether it will or will not reduce crime ~ why out of the NHS budget? Why not from the Department of Work and Pensions or even the Probation Serbvice, the Education Service or the local police budget? Why does it have to be from the budget that pays for medicines and doctors etc?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
Maybe the idea is to kick start them into a more active lifestyle and healthy eating, saving money on obesity related treatments in the future.

If that is the case then apart from the scale its hardly more ridiculous than any of the government designed programs.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.