Author Topic: Things that whiz past!  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Things that whiz past!
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »
How do they make electronic gadgets like clock radios so infuriating?  cussing:

You have a power cut and need to reset the clock…

So you push the button and the minute moves on one…

12:01…12:02… 12:03…12:04…

This will take for bloody ever because it always resets to midday and you never remember to rest it ‘til you go to bed…

So, you hold the button down and it accelerates…

12:20…12:40…13:00… 13:20…

That’s better… soon be at the right time… but no!

Just as soon as you get to the right time whoooosh! The bloody thing goes into overdrive turbo warp speed and shoots past the time you want so you have to start the whole bloody process again in the other direction….  Banghead

See also microwave ovens, etc.  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Things that whiz past!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
My clock radio has a battery back-up for just this eventuality, as does the video recorder and the DVD recorder so a power cut of up to 8 hours makes no difference.
Since Mrs S#2 turns all cookers, microwaves etc off at the wall socket when she has finished with them the clocks are always flashing anyway. We never bother to correct them and, over the years, I have grown used to little lights flashing in the kitchen.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
My clock radio has a battery back-up for just this eventuality, as does the video recorder and the DVD recorder so a power cut of up to 8 hours makes no difference.
Since Mrs S#2 turns all cookers, microwaves etc off at the wall socket when she has finished with them the clocks are always flashing anyway. We never bother to correct them and, over the years, I have grown used to little lights flashing in the kitchen.
Trust you to spoil my rant with your stone age logic...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
It's your equipment that is stone-age mate. My DAB clock Radio is state of the art  whistle:
As for the kitchen bits and pieces turning them off save money on the leccy bill. Same aplies to all other appliances ~ unless they are in use they get turned off, not left on standby. Knowing we do this the first thing I do is ask if anything I am buying has battery back up to ensure the memory and clock can take them being shut down. If they don't then I don't buy them.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
It's your equipment that is stone-age mate. My DAB clock Radio is state of the art  whistle:
As for the kitchen bits and pieces turning them off save money on the leccy bill. Same aplies to all other appliances ~ unless they are in use they get turned off, not left on standby. Knowing we do this the first thing I do is ask if anything I am buying has battery back up to ensure the memory and clock can take them being shut down. If they don't then I don't buy them.
Actually, I've just discovered the Bose clock/radio has a battery in it...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:35:50 PM »
Actually, I've just discovered the Bose clock/radio has a battery in it...  redface:

point:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »

point:
They run out then do they...?  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
Given the number of power cuts you get I should think so.

My clock/radio has battery back up to make it useable during a power cut and a separate battery back-up for the clock which lasts a lot longer than the radio ones (About a year they reckon)

DVD and VCR have rechargeables like PCs

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Given the number of power cuts you get I should think so.

My clock/radio has battery back up to make it useable during a power cut and a separate battery back-up for the clock which lasts a lot longer than the radio ones (About a year they reckon)

DVD and VCR have rechargeables like PCs
Its only been in there eight years...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »
Take the price of a new one out of Bob Crachett's Christmas Pay

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
My bedside clock/radio aslo has a battery in case of a power cut. Unfortunately it runs faster on battery power (?) not much but it has gained about 5 mins from the last cut we have. Eventually I do get around to changing it back but as Barman pointed out it's such a palaver.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 03:05:35 PM »
My bedside clock/radio aslo has a battery in case of a power cut. Unfortunately it runs faster on battery power (?) not much but it has gained about 5 mins from the last cut we have. Eventually I do get around to changing it back but as Barman pointed out it's such a palaver.
Thank you Uncle...  cloud9:

The voice of reason at last...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »
 rubschin: Mine has buttons to take time forward or backward so an overshoot is easily corrected. In fact the only clock in the house that has to be taken round the full twelve hours is the 100 year old one on the mantle that I have to wind every Sunday and that is only to keep the chimes in sync.

Irritatingly Lil Bruvver has one of these Radio Controlled things that is always right and even resets itself when the clocks change.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
rubschin: Mine has buttons to take time forward or backward so an overshoot is easily corrected. In fact the only clock in the house that has to be taken round the full twelve hours is the 100 year old one on the mantle that I have to wind every Sunday and that is only to keep the chimes in sync.

Irritatingly Lil Bruvver has one of these Radio Controlled things that is always right and even resets itself when the clocks change.
I don't think the Rugby time signal reaches this far...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:16:30 PM »

I don't think the Rugby time signal reaches this far...  noooo:

I thought it was a world wide thing.