Author Topic: So this is what we pay the licence fee for?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: So this is what we pay the licence fee for?
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
It seems that celebs are immune from conviction... they can openly take Class A drugs while 'ordinary' proles are arrested on TV (road wars, etc.) for smoking a joint...  noooo:

At the end of the Road Wars type programmes they run through what happened to those proles. Most seem to get away with it as well.

I know!  Banghead
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2008, 09:04:21 AM »
It's not as simple as that.

The call(s) weren't intended as malicious, the odd f-word doesn't make it particularly obscene and there was no slander or lies. I cannot see a case being made.

The calls can easily be classed as obscene.

There is also a case for harassment.

RTFM

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2008, 09:15:44 AM »

The call(s) weren't intended as malicious, the odd f-word doesn't make it particularly obscene and there was no slander or lies. I cannot see a case being made.

It's a shame they can't be prosecuted just for being a pair or irritating custards.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »

It's a shame they can't be prosecuted just for being a pair or irritating custards.

Plod: "Right son, you're nicked"
Woss: "On what charge offither?"
Plod: "Possession of an irritating and shallow personality and going equipped to nauseate"
Woss: "Its a fair cop"
I mostly despair

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »

Plod: "Right son, you're nicked"
Woss: "On what charge offither?"
Plod: "Possession of an irritating and shallow personality and going equipped to nauseate"
Woss: "Its a fair cop"

lol:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
Well it's all over now ~ bar the ritual breast beating and hair shirt wearing in the higher echelons of the BBC.

Mr Brand was obviously not prepared to accept a telling off so did a runner ~ coincidently his new show starts on Channel 4 this week  rubschin:
BTW Did I read that this is something like the third time he has flounced off of a show before disciplinary proceedings? IMHO He should never been employed on Radio 2 in the first place ~ totally the wrong place for him.

Mr Ross accepts the bollocking, a final warning and a suspension without pay for 12 weeks. He is still a twat of the highest order but at least has the sense to stay where the money is.

The Controller of Radio 2 does the decent thing and accepts the blame for bringing the pair of them into the organisation and for not keeping a closer eye on her subordinates ~ a pity because she has done some good work but she will soon be re-employed.

Right or wrong? Entertainment?
IMO Wrong to broadcast something without the permission of the parties concerned. Illegal to record a telephone call without the permission of all parties. Certainly not entertainment as I know it. Puerile, schoolboyish, boastful and ungentlemanly behaviour would be my description. Certainly Ross, at his age, should know better.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:43:32 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.