Author Topic: Blissful Saturday  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Blissful Saturday
« on: November 02, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »
Yesterday morning listened as always to Brian Matthew "Sounds of the Sixties" on Radio 2. Not everyone's taste I know but you had to be there.
Usually I switch off after that but yesterday did not need to ~ NO Jonathon Ross cloud9:

Last evening went to bed, switched on bedside lamp, got book, turned on radio and did not need to retune to Classic FM because NO Russell Brand.  cloud9:

Perfick  cloud9:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Blissful Saturday
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
I was werking  evil:

And today we have to force The Boy to do the homework he failed to mention at the start of half term  cussing:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:55:12 AM »
After many years of struggling to make reluctant children do homework I have given up. If they fail to do it then they can explain why to the teachers. Not my problem.

Last discussion with the THW's school on the subject resulted in our agreeing to disagree. I contend that setting homework and demanding that it is completed is their responsibility ~ sanctions for non compliance are their problem. My responsibility, as laid down by the "Home/School Agreement" that they love to quote, is to provide the facilities ~ ideally this should include a quiet, well lit room, desk or similar writing surface with suitable chair, no TV to distract them, no demands upon the child to do household chores, look after siblings/grannies etc, ensure a sensible bedtime allowing for sufficient sleep, the use of an internet linked laptop or PC and the provision of a balanced diet at appropriate times. That, in essence, is what the Government lays down as good parenting. I facilitate, the child does the work and the teachers correct it. Nowhere does it say that I have to stand over the child watching it work. That I will not do. That is, in fact, what teachers are paid £30k a year to do. If the teachers cannot motivate during the 7 hours of the school day what chance have I got during the four hours that I see the child ~ and that four hours includes feeding them, ensuring they have washed, cleaned their teeth, have clean clothes on, providing the other stimulating things that children need in the way of out of school activities (to make up for the lack of time in the school curriculum) this includes hours spent running them to and from: Guides, Scouts, Cubs, swimming lessons, music lessons, football practice, rugby practice, choir practice, badmington club, fencing club and taking them to Church on Sundays.

Homework is bollox as some enlightened schools are beginning to recognise.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:56:51 AM by Snoopy »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »
Yesterday morning listened as always to Brian Matthew "Sounds of the Sixties" on Radio 2. Not everyone's taste I know but you had to be there.
Usually I switch off after that but yesterday did not need to ~ NO Jonathon Ross cloud9:

Last evening went to bed, switched on bedside lamp, got book, turned on radio and did not need to retune to Classic FM because NO Russell Brand.  cloud9:

Perfick
  cloud9:

But no lonesome neighbour though? eyes:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:04:03 AM »
Nah  sad24:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:08:08 AM »
You do realise you are tempting fate hound. Ross is back in 3 weeks and odds are the BBC will ignore talent & get a replacement as irritating as Brand
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »
Nah  sad24:

Dissapointed then ....ey? eyes:

No point in rushing one's fences. Softly, softly, catchee monkey  whistle:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09:50 AM »
You do realise you are tempting fate hound. Ross is back in 3 weeks and odds are the BBC will ignore talent & get a replacement as irritating as Brand

eeek:  Three months surely.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 11:51:11 AM »
Just discovered that it's a fooking INSET day tomorrow   cussing: cussing:

Homework can wait.Off to see the Bond film (alone) cloud9:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »

eeek:  Three months surely.

Call it a hunch but something tells me that Ross will be back before the three months is up. He draws too large an audience for the BBC to sideline for that long regardless of the reason.

Mind you its not as if the BBC is short of talent to replace him, Omid Jalili, Frankie Boyle, Dara O'Brien and Marcus Brigstock could replace Ross easily in most of his shows and be far more entertaining. The only exception to this would be Film 2008 as Ross has a knowledge of films that is hard to beat.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
I don't see how the BBC could pay him eighteen miwyion Pounds yet couldn't find a few bob to pay ITV for pictures of the grand prix to show on the news this morning- - bastards!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »
Watched it on ITV4 yesterday BM...  whistle:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:11:53 AM »
Actually, on the subject of televised sports when the hell did Darts become a television event and who's bright idea was it. Its not a sport for crying out loud, its a pub game.  Banghead

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Oh put Jalili in he is hysterical!  lol:

Mr Wench watches the darts.  noooo: