Author Topic: Jezza is on form I see.  (Read 921 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Jezza is on form I see.
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »
You've got to hand it to Clarkson, if he's going to wind up a portion of his audience he does it well.

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has prompted nearly 200 people to complain to the BBC about a joke he made on Sunday's motoring show.

Clarkson, 48, was taking part in a lorry-driving task, when he suggested that lorry drivers kill sex workers.

"Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day," he said.

Lorry driver Steve Wright was jailed in February for killing five prostitutes.

Clarkson's joke, made before the watershed, sparked 188 complaints.

'Urban myth'

In a statement, the BBC said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona.

"This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

The Iceni Project, a charity which had helped some of the murdered prostitutes in Ipswich, criticised Clarkson's remark.

Director Brian Tobin called the comment "highly distasteful and insensitive".

Mr Tobin said the joke was made around the anniversary of the women's deaths and it made him "cringe".

Media regulator watchdog Ofcom said it had also been contacted by viewers angry at the remarks.

A spokesman said: "These complaints are currently being assessed against the Broadcasting Code.

"All UK broadcasters must adhere to Ofcom's Broadcasting Code which sets standards for the content of television and radio broadcasting."

Last week, the BBC received more than 30,000 complaints about a series of phone pranks made by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross on Radio 2.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Jezza is on form I see.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »
I hate these stereotypes.

I have been out all morning burying the pikey burglar I shot last night and come back to this nonsense.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't have a test of rolling a cigarette whilst doing 60 on a busy motorway - that's the real test of a HGV driver.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:03:39 PM »
See also "TG's Back" thread in the Petrol Head Zone where JOM beat you to it with this story. 
http://www.virtual-pub.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5019.0
 Reply #10 on: Today at 05:57:13 AM

I know ~ you can't be arsed to read it all first. 
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
See also "TG's Back" thread in the Petrol Head Zone where JOM beat you to it with this story. 

A bit tetchy today are we?

scared:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

scared:

Nah ~ just proving I was up and on the job early  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »

scared:

Nah ~ just proving I was up and on the job early  whistle:

Toooooooooo much information...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't have a test of rolling a cigarette whilst doing 60 on a busy motorway - that's the real test of a HGV driver.
They can't do that now can they...? It being their 'place of werk' and all that... unless they are an MP of course!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
They can't do that now can they...? It being their 'place of werk' and all that... unless they are an MP of course!  cussing:

I didn't say they had to smoke it too, did I? BM, your typical lack of attention to detail is sybolic of the shoddy ways of the current world.  6/10 See teacher  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »

I didn't say they had to smoke it too, did I? BM, your typical lack of attention to detail is sybolic of the shoddy ways of the current world.  6/10 See teacher  noooo:
I object.... I reckon the smoking stazi would nick you for just being prepared to smoke and definitely for taking one hand off the wheel to roll it...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

I object.... I reckon the smoking stazi would nick you for just being prepared to smoke and definitely for taking one hand off the wheel to roll it...

So when I take both hands off the wheel of the Lexus to roll mine, I'm doing something wrong then?  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »

So when I take both hands off the wheel of the Lexus to roll mine, I'm doing something wrong then?  rubschin:

Not if the wheel is securely held between your knees of course...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »

Not if the wheel is securely held between your knees of course...  noooo:

But of course - next to the bottle of Young's!