Author Topic: How did we get through  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
Re: How did we get through
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
But seriously where does all this money go?
I have three kids ~ they all took donations into school today.

For years, until recently outed in the press, Wogan charged the BBC several thousands for his services on the night.
Thousands of pounds to front a charity show in which the actors, singers, dancers, mostly earning less than half his annual income performed free. Had he given his fee to the charity I would have bneen more kindly disposed toward him and his efforts. His excuse "I am self employed, I didn't realise that others were not being paid to appear"
In 2005 he received £1300 per hour for the 7 hour show ~ a toatl in excess of £9,000 for an evenings blathering.
His "salary" at the BBC is said to be £800,000 per annum

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/celebrity_wogan.asp

Lighten up you old moaning misers...it goes to children .....that are not a priveledged as some for many differant reasons..
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »
And it is a good evenings entertainment!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
For £9.5k for an evening talking on TV I could make it fun.

This little show will cost us TV licence payers over £2million and rob many smaller charities of much needed donations. Strangely although a few charity shows (Children in Need, Red Nose Day, Feed the World) raise millions the overall give to charity does not increase. So one star's boastful raising of a few million costs other charities their income.
I would rather choose to whom I direct my charity instead of throwing it in a bucket "For a good cause".
I support the RNLB and Service Charities. I also support three children who have never received any help from Mr Wogan and co despite being classified as "In Poverty" by the government's own standards.

If you enjoy the "entertainment" by all means do so ~ just don't expect me to.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »
To be honest Snoopy I don't.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »
Me neither.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I meant I don't expect you to enjoy it. For me it's the "curate's egg"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
Oh ~ I see. Well fair nuff. It is a bit like an old fashioned variety show I guess but I watch TV so seldom these days that I know few of the so called stars who appear and the whole things bores me rigid. I also feel quite strongly about the points I have made regarding Wogan's fees and the reduction in the incomes of other charities because the Beeb can and do afford, out of my licence fee, to swamp the nation with this evening's effort to the detriment of a lot of hard working folk struggling to manage to keep afloat.

But then again would we have got 36 + posts out of this if I hadn't raised the subject.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:31 PM »
...to the detriment of a lot of hard working folk struggling to manage to keep afloat

I don't understand what you're getting at here.

Certainly Wogan should never have asked for or been paid a fee but it probably doesn't rob other charities of donations. My feeling is that it taps those who don't normally give.

Off to watch the QI special now.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
I'm all the way with you Snoop. Can't stand Wogan anymore, pompous old gin swiggin' tosser. He's not even the slightest bit funny imo. Five Live in the mornings now where i know you aren't going to be bombarded with constant overly self important ramblings and a certain 'brand' of his so called 'wit' and inuendos. ::)
Time he was pensioned off imo.

Like you , I also have my doubts as to where all this money goes to too. rubschin:
Call me a grumpy old cynic if you wish. ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 06:26:50 AM »
I didn't watch it... I was watching No Country for Old Men in my cinema like...  whistle:

As for the show, I can't see the 'need' for it... surely if the government can rustle up £500B for the banks there is no need for charities to go begging for money? Lord knows, we all pay enough in income tax then duty and VAT on our taxed earnings that there should be no need for charity if the government spent our money wisely? Doesn't giving to charity just let them off the hook to waste and trough more...?

See also cancer research.

As for the show itself, if it is so 'entertaining' why don't the BBC or other broadcasters do such a thing anyway - after all that's what we pay them for isn't it?

Humbug.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
I didn't watch it... I was watching No Country for Old Men in my cinema like...  whistle:

As for the show, I can't see the 'need' for it... surely if the government can rustle up £500B for the banks there is no need for charities to go begging for money? Lord knows, we all pay enough in income tax then duty and VAT on our taxed earnings that there should be no need for charity if the government spent our money wisely? Doesn't giving to charity just let them off the hook to waste and trough more...?

See also cancer research.

As for the show itself, if it is so 'entertaining' why don't the BBC or other broadcasters do such a thing anyway - after all that's what we pay them for isn't it?

Humbug.

My sentiments entirely.

Bolox to humbug, it's true.
More like just a load of bah to me. ;)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 08:18:39 AM »

Full 'ouse was it? ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 08:19:59 AM »

No, just the two of us... plenty of spare seats like...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »

All 3...sorry 4 of them?

Smell of fresh paint must be putting the cussies off p'raps?

If there was just the two of you like, why don't you just sit in the lounge and watch the telly like the rest of us normal mortals?
Just a passing thought like. whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 08:41:29 AM »

All 3...sorry 4 of them?

Smell of fresh paint must be putting the cussies off p'raps?

If there was just the two of you like, why don't you just sit in the lounge and watch the telly like the rest of us normal mortals?
Just a passing thought like. whistle:

Because the lounge doesn't have a 3m screen and 1,500W of surround sound... just like a cinema like...  ::)

It is like going to the cinema but with wine and popcorn and no feral scum rustling around... and you can pause the film when you need a piss like... happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs: