Author Topic: How did we get through  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: How did we get through
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
...to the detriment of a lot of hard working folk struggling to manage to keep afloat

I don't understand what you're getting at here.

Certainly Wogan should never have asked for or been paid a fee but it probably doesn't rob other charities of donations. My feeling is that it taps those who don't normally give.

Off to watch the QI special now.

I was talking about a lot of smaller charities whose takings have declined because of the muscle that the big boys can put behind such things as these TV marathons. In total it is reckoned that we, as a nation, give roughly the same amount to charity per capita as we always have but the big ones are soaking it all up and the little fish are slowly going under. Please don't ask for a source as I read this somewhere (hospital waiting room magazine I think) and it rang true. When I was involved with Children in Need I sank all my effort into it. When I stopped (mainly because of Wogan's greed) I found I still gave the same amount to charity over the year but I spread it around more and was more selective as to the causes I was supporting. I also became more interested in how the money was spent.

for gods sake lighten up.it was supposed to be fun...write to bbc an ask for a detailed account of where every penny goes then it can set your mind at rest....right its finished for another yr...so dont wana hear anymore bloody moaning...thought women where bad... Banghead

I'll let you have a response as soon as Bletchley Park tell me what you said.

????????????? Write to BBC or charity commision they can give you answers.....im outa hear it not good  in pub tonite... noooo:

She seems annoyed for some reason.

PMT rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
At her age?   eveilgrin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »
 scared:
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
WUSS! Banghead

Say what you like. It's a free country (just  ::) ) and freedom of speech so there! cussing:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »
 eeek:

Rather strident aren't we this evening gentlemen?
 eeek:

Offline Nick

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
We are cross with wimmin and others  evil:

Reasonably

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2008, 09:31:20 PM »
Should I be keeping a low profile? scared2:

Offline Nick

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »
No, we are harmless  angel1

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
That is what they all say.  scared2:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »

Careful, they might think you mean 'lie down'.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »

Yes
Got me bears 'ed on tonight. evil:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
But, but I haven't done anything!

I think the Growler house needs a second tv. Nick, can't you give him yours out of the box!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2008, 06:29:42 AM »
Anyhooo...

I've been thinking about this while painting like... Two things strike me about the show.

Charity:
I remember contributing to the first (or one of the first) televised Children in Need things which must have been twenty years ago? I stumbled in from the pub with a kebab and felt so guilty at the sight of children with no drinking water that I called up and donated fifty quid I could ill-afford. The lady in the call centre said I was "very generous" which made me feel better about myself...

Why is it that twenty years and millions of Pounds later there are still children with no water or grub?

In that time governments around the world have pissed trillions of Pounds of our money up the wall on pointless schemes and projects yet kids still need help from people donating money they can ill-afford?

India has just sent a rocket to the moon FFS - a country not exactly short of a starving kid or two...  noooo:

The point is that it is our money that the government is pissing away - cash forcibly taken from us in taxes and duties (not forgetting VAT) on the goods we choose to purchase ands it should be us, the taxpayer that decides if it is spend on starving kiddies or troughing politicians and their ridiculous schemes.

Entertainment:
Likewise with the entertainment value of Children in Need.

Remember you pay for the BBC with a non-optional tax in the form of the licence fee.

They are not doing you a favour by showing celebrities doing stupid things, you are paying them to do it…

If you want to see the news and weather teams performing “You’re the one that I want” while riding unicycles they should bloody well do it… ever night, after Eastenders.

If you want to see the entire cast of Eastenders performing a bizarre sex act with Wellard then they should do that too – after the watershed.

But they should show shows that you want without having to intersperse them with pictures of kiddies with no arms or dying of cancer without reasonable palliative care because the money isn't available.

And they should stop paying tosspots like Ross £6M per year too... I wonder how much of his hard-earned cash was donated towards the total.

That is all…

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2008, 10:56:59 AM »
Anyhooo...

I've been thinking about this while painting like... Two things strike me about the show.

Charity:
I remember contributing to the first (or one of the first) televised Children in Need things which must have been twenty years ago? I stumbled in from the pub with a kebab and felt so guilty at the sight of children with no drinking water that I called up and donated fifty quid I could ill-afford. The lady in the call centre said I was "very generous" which made me feel better about myself...

Why is it that twenty years and millions of Pounds later there are still children with no water or grub?

In that time governments around the world have pissed trillions of Pounds of our money up the wall on pointless schemes and projects yet kids still need help from people donating money they can ill-afford?

India has just sent a rocket to the moon FFS - a country not exactly short of a starving kid or two...  noooo:

The point is that it is our money that the government is pissing away - cash forcibly taken from us in taxes and duties (not forgetting VAT) on the goods we choose to purchase ands it should be us, the taxpayer that decides if it is spend on starving kiddies or troughing politicians and their ridiculous schemes.

Entertainment:
Likewise with the entertainment value of Children in Need.

Remember you pay for the BBC with a non-optional tax in the form of the licence fee.

They are not doing you a favour by showing celebrities doing stupid things, you are paying them to do it…

If you want to see the news and weather teams performing “You’re the one that I want” while riding unicycles they should bloody well do it… ever night, after Eastenders.

If you want to see the entire cast of Eastenders performing a bizarre sex act with Wellard then they should do that too – after the watershed.

But they should show shows that you want without having to intersperse them with pictures of kiddies with no arms or dying of cancer without reasonable palliative care because the money isn't available.

And they should stop paying tosspots like Ross £6M per year too... I wonder how much of his hard-earned cash was donated towards the total.

That is all…

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »
At her age?   eveilgrin:

i am not much older than mrs s...so yep!
not pmt just astounded at grumpiness in men very usual or must be grumpy pensioner age coming out..LOL  eyes:
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.