Author Topic: That VAT cut  (Read 8292 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: That VAT cut
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »
The chancellor says he wants the UK to live within its means

Surely that means not borrowing.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
The chancellor says he wants the UK to live within its means

Surely that means not borrowing.
That's what it means to you and me Uncle...  noooo:

Clearly he lives by a different set of rules....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »
Quote from: BBC political correspondent Iain Watson:
We've just been told borrowing will be 8pc of GDP within two years - that's higher than the percentage borrowed under the Labour government of the seventies. There is Opposition incredulity that everything will be on an even keel by 2015/6, as Darling says it will then be a case of borrowing only to invest again.
eeek:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
Alcohol, tobacco and petrol taxes will be raised to offset the VAT cut, Mr Darling says.

noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
Alcohol, tobacco and petrol taxes will be raised to offset the VAT cut, Mr Darling says.

noooo:

VAT will be cut from 17.5 to 15% until the end of next year

And will the tax on alcohol, tobacco and petrol come back down at the year end?

I don't think so.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »

noooo:

VAT will be cut from 17.5 to 15% until the end of next year

And will the tax on alcohol, tobacco and petrol come back down at the year end?

I don't think so.
noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
I think those of us watching have just seen Labour lose the next election and many more after than!

The NI increase alone negates everything he has "given" the tax payer. But then he hasn't given us anything except a debt that will not be paid off before all of the current members of this forum are dead and buried.

BTW  I Thought George Osborne did well given that he has to make an instant response.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:45:01 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
I think those of us watching have just seen Labour lose the next election and many more after than!

The NI increase alone negates everything he has "given" the tax payer. But then he hasn't given us anything except a debt that will not be paid off before all of the current members of this forum are dead and buried.

BTW  I Thought Geogre Osborne did well given that he has to make an instant response.
Agreed...

I was surprised that he didn't go further and putting up booze, petrol and fags was insanity... What a tosser...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
Something I heard over the weekend bothers me. Apparently people are happy to keep Gordo in office when things are bad but will get shot of him as soon as they improve.

If that is true then Gordo has a vested interest in keeping this country the cess pit it is currently becomming.

It certainly explains a lot of what went into the budget.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
Something I heard over the weekend bothers me. Apparently people are happy to keep Gordo in office when things are bad but will get shot of him as soon as they improve.

If that is true then Gordo has a vested interest in keeping this country the cess pit it is currently becomming.

It certainly explains a lot of what went into the budget.
The figures are so terrible already I was surprised that they didn't go further with a huge give-away and then call an early election...

I wonder if the IMF has had a quiet word in Gorgon's shell like...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
1710Professor Peter Spencer, chief economic advisor, Ernst & Young Item Club This statement says more about the shocking state of the public finances inherited by Alistair Darling from Gordon Brown than it does about the recession or the measures he's taking to try to deal with it. The recession now hitting hard, we're looking at public borrowing reaching a cool £118bn, 8% of GDP next year. In 2012/13 he is still going to be borrowing £70bn - that's almost £50bn more than he anticipated for that year back in April. , chief economic advisor, Ernst & Young Item Club

I couldn't have put it better myself, Brown made a total balls of the economy while he was responsible for it and claimed that the world economy had no effect on its improvements, quite the opposite of when it was obvious how much of an abortion he has made of it.  I do wonder however just how much of this budget has come from Darling and how much was hammered into him by the clunking fist.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
I also wonder if they've decided that they don't want to win the next election... leave the shite to the Tories...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
And then do a Tony and find nice paying jobs overseas?

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »
I also wonder if they've decided that they don't want to win the next election... leave the shite to the Tories...  rubschin:

You a member of a certain off roading forum I frequent, as virtually those exact words have been stated by one of its members. Spooky AND so true.

Restaurants. I bet they're well chuffed. All the bloody menu's are going to have to be re-printed now, and at what cost? eeek:

Printers. Probably delighted with Mr Darling, and possibly the only ones to benefit from this fiasco. ::)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »
Anyone remotely involved in sales will be unimpressed, the amount of work that is going to take is insanity!