Disgusterous

Author Topic: That VAT cut  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: That VAT cut
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
I also wonder if they've decided that they don't want to win the next election... leave the shite to the Tories...  rubschin:

You a member of a certain off roading forum I frequent, as virtually those exact words have been stated by one of its members. Spooky AND so true.

Restaurants. I bet they're well chuffed. All the bloody menu's are going to have to be re-printed now, and at what cost? eeek:

Printers. Probably delighted with Mr Darling, and possibly the only ones to benefit from this fiasco. ::)

Surely one doesn't dine in Restaurants where they put prices on the printed menu?

My local purveyor of fine foods may need to buy some more chalk I suppose point:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
How much VAT is on food now...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »
Cooked food is VAT'd at standard rates. Uncooked food does not currently attract VAT

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
So it isn't really going to help your weekly shop then...  noooo:

And is it right that he could only cut VAT to 15% because of EU rules?

VAT here was 10% 'til we joined the EU and is 15% now so that would make sense...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 09:10:19 AM »
So really it is only going to help those who could already afford to buy "luxury goods"  Banghead

So basically, I am going to be worse off because of the NI rise. What a pile of devils testicles.  cussing:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:32 AM »
So really it is only going to help those who could already afford to buy "luxury goods"  Banghead

So basically, I am going to be worse off because of the NI rise. What a pile of devils testicles.  cussing:
Indeed... they are a shower of shite...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
I also wonder if they've decided that they don't want to win the next election... leave the shite to the Tories...  rubschin:

You a member of a certain off roading forum I frequent, as virtually those exact words have been stated by one of its members. Spooky AND so true.

Restaurants. I bet they're well chuffed. All the bloody menu's are going to have to be re-printed now, and at what cost? eeek:

Printers. Probably delighted with Mr Darling, and possibly the only ones to benefit from this fiasco. ::)

Surely one doesn't dine in Restaurants where they put prices on the printed menu

Indeed. Tonight being one of those such occassions in fact, and the bill will include VAT @17.5% ::)
Why couldn't she have had her burfday next week, selfish moose.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
Given the drop in VAT, the increases in Employee and Employer NI contributions and the 2p a litre on all fuels I should think the normal weekly shopping for "staple" foods etc will rise rather than fall. As Wenchy says luxury goods will see a drop but it will be a very small drop. It certainly will not be 2.5% off the list price that's for sure and anyone who thinks it will doesn't understand how VAT works.
It is a fact that the man has borrowed £20 billion and the cost to us when pay back comes round will be £40billion.
Osborne (like him or not) was right. This is what all Labour Governments do and what they will always do. It is just that this time they have fooled enough of the people to enable them to keep on doing it for 11 years and that is why we are in the mess we are. It has sod all to do with the USA and all to do with Gordon and Prudence racking up huge debts before we even got into recession. Look at the massive debts that aren't even on the books. PFI for example. Yet another deferred debt that will have to be paid one day ~ meanwhile the "interest" in the form of rents and maintenance costs are enormous. Our local Police HQ was built as a PFI and cost $35million. In thirty years time the tax payers will have to repay that £35m and in the meantime they are paying £5m per year just to use it. So a building (that we didn't really need anyway) will cost at least £185 million ~ just to give the cops somewhere to hide whilst they eat their donuts. Add to that one example all the schools, hospitals, government offices etc that have been built under PFI and you are looking at a huge debt that is being deliberately kept off the accounts. If you then add to it the debt that we know about we are royally fvcked..

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »

Surely one doesn't dine in Restaurants where they put prices on the printed menu

Indeed. Tonight being one of those such occassions in fact, and the bill will include VAT @17.5% ::)
Why couldn't she have had her burfday next week, selfish moose.

But as you are a guest surely you will not be paying? eeek:

The mere fact that you have been invited removes that obligation. Let the brother in law pay ~ it's his wife's birthday after all.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »
No, that's NEXT month. ::)

It's Mrs GROWLERS burfday today, and I'm having to pay. Banghead

Do try keeping up, as difficult as it is I know. ;)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »
McDonalds then 

They'll even do a full party ~ but you have to take your own cake like  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 01:09:35 PM »
Anyhoo...  ::)

They keep talking about a Trillion Pounds of Debt but I seem to recall that we were already a Trillion Pounds in debt - credit cards, etc. Or am I wrong (for once)...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »
I think it's 2 trillion
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »
I think it's 2 trillion
What, two trillion plus the new trillion making three...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »
No just 2 trillion, that's all
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile