Author Topic: Quandary. Need help  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Quandary. Need help
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
Oh Uncle. Now the poor bear will have to toss a coin  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
I tend to think differently.

1) You are married which means you should to be supportive of your wife. If she wants you to go then you go.

2) It would be churlish not to help celebrate your SiL's birthday just because her choice doesn't fit your preferences. You like her and 50 is a big birthday. Don't spoil it.

3) So SiL's hubby is a bit of a prat ~ live with it

Thank goodness there is one man here that sees sense!  cloud9:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I tend to think differently.

1) You are married which means you should to be supportive of your wife. If she wants you to go then you go.

2) It would be churlish not to help celebrate your SiL's birthday just because her choice doesn't fit your preferences. You like her and 50 is a big birthday. Don't spoil it.

3) So SiL's hubby is a bit of a prat ~ live with it

Thank goodness there is one man here that sees sense!  cloud9:
rubschin:
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »
But the BiL is Scottish.That alone qualifies him for painful death

And Peter Pan FFS. The woman is 50!!

I will bake a big cake and let the cake fumes steam in Growler's direction, then he will be powerless to go

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
For years, at school, I was forced into taking part in various "Productions". I found them acutely embarrassing and swore I would never attend one voluntarily thus I have stuck out against two wives, five children and four grandchildren and I will not attend any such event. That's me ~ learn to live with it or p*ss off has been my message throughout the last 40 years (Yes My eldest is now 40).
I was taken to a panto by my parents when I was about 8 and they had this so called comic on stage with a mirror. The trick was that he would reflect the spot light onto a child in the audience and said child would rise, go up on stage and sing with the "comic". Of course there was a bit of "banter" that went with this ~ all seeming to me to centre on some deformity that the "comic" saw in the child. Short haircut, sticking out ears, red face ~ in short anything he could take the p*ss out of. 20 children were chosen and I sank lower and power into my seat just knowing that he would pick me out and dreading the "encouragement" that my parents would give me to go up on stage. Sure enough it happened. The light shone on me and I refused point blank to join in the "jolly japes". My mother urged me to go on stage, My father swore at me but I sat tight. That night I was told in no uncertain terms that I was selfish and had ruined "their evening". I have never attended a panto since. Wild horses would not get me through the door. They are the most puerile form of entertainment known to man ~ beating even "I'm a so called celeb ~ what the f*ck am I doing here" etc.
I have steadfastly supported any of my children who do not want to perform at school or anywhere else ~ despite the claim that such performances are an essential part of the National Curriculum ~ utter bollox by the way.

Growler has to live with these people but in his position I would stick to my guns and have nothing to do with the "organised event". By all means buy your SiL a card and gift and give/send them to her personally but do not be forced into doing something you don't want to do.

As a PS: It was from that evening that things between my Father and I went downhill, culminating in my leaving home and joining the RAF aged fifteen and three quarters just to get away from home. He never forgot nor forgave me for "wasting his money" by refusing to perform when requested to at an event that I never actually wanted to see in the first place. Twenty years on he would still relate the tale of how I had embarrassed the "whole family".
Stick to your guns Growler ~ at least you will know you did what you felt was right and more importantly what you wanted to do. Let them call you names if they wish but Christmas is coming and they'll all want money from you no matter how "upset" they are so they will come round first ~ even if it is with their begging bowls as usual.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
For years, at school, I was forced into taking part in various "Productions". I found them acutely embarrassing and swore I would never attend one voluntarily thus I have stuck out against two wives, five children and four grandchildren and I will not attend any such event. That's me ~ learn to live with it or p*ss off has been my message throughout the last 40 years (Yes My eldest is now 40).
I was taken to a panto by my parents when I was about 8 and they had this so called comic on stage with a mirror. The trick was that he would reflect the spot light onto a child in the audience and said child would rise, go up on stage and sing with the "comic". Of course there was a bit of "banter" that went with this ~ all seeming to me to centre on some deformity that the "comic" saw in the child. Short haircut, sticking out ears, red face ~ in short anything he could take the p*ss out of. 20 children were chosen and I sank lower and power into my seat just knowing that he would pick me out and dreading the "encouragement" that my parents would give me to go up on stage. Sure enough it happened. The light shone on me and I refused point blank to join in the "jolly japes". My mother urged me to go on stage, My father swore at me but I sat tight. That night I was told in no uncertain terms that I was selfish and had ruined "their evening". I have never attended a panto since. Wild horses would not get me through the door. They are the most puerile form of entertainment known to man ~ beating even "I'm a so called celeb ~ what the f*ck am I doing here" etc.
I have steadfastly supported any of my children who do not want to perform at school or anywhere else ~ despite the claim that such performances are an essential part of the National Curriculum ~ utter bollox by the way.

Growler has to live with these people but in his position I would stick to my guns and have nothing to do with the "organised event". By all means buy your SiL a card and gift and give/send them to her personally but do not be forced into doing something you don't want to do.

As a PS: It was from that evening that things between my Father and I went downhill, culminating in my leaving home and joining the RAF aged fifteen and three quarters just to get away from home. He never forgot nor forgave me for "wasting his money" by refusing to perform when requested to at an event that I never actually wanted to see in the first place. Twenty years on he would still relate the tale of how I had embarrassed the "whole family".
Stick to your guns Growler ~ at least you will know you did what you felt was right and more importantly what you wanted to do. Let them call you names if they wish but Christmas is coming and they'll all want money from you no matter how "upset" they are so they will come round first ~ even if it is with their begging bowls as usual.

happ096

So, tell us more about this "deformity" of yours.

I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »
 point:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
I was "The short kid trying to 'ide be'ind the bloke with the big 'ead".

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »
I was "The short kid trying to 'ide be'ind the bloke with the big 'ead".

So, ears, eyes and nose all normal size and location then?

No warts or ginger hair or anything?

I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 11:17:39 AM »
Nope ~ usually 1950 stupid haircut, slathered in Brylcreem and, of course, the ubiquitous bow tie which all small boys were forced to wear to "go out" with their family. Apart from that I was not actually short ~ above average for my age but I was sitting low in the seat. Since he couldn't see much of me the "comic" had to make the crack about the bloke with the big head in front of me ~ who was a perfectly normal person.

If there is one thing that really p*sses me off it is personal comments about perceieved physical deformity of any sort. Fat people do not need telling that they are overweight ~ they f*cking know. People with big noses are aware of their looks, people who wear specs do not want to be called four eyes etc  cussing: Pet hate territory here ~ I'd best shut up because I know there are those who love to "tease" in this manner ~ seemingly missing the fact that they are being downright offensive and hurtful.

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »
So is Baldymort fair game?  rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
Frankly no ~ and I blush whenever I allow myself to join in, which is very seldom and usually only when he has personally played up to it.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »
But he has come to terms with his deformity.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
But he has come to terms with his deformity.

My only consolation

Offline Nick

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »

Thusly