Disgusterous

Author Topic: Awwww poor Tony  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Awwww poor Tony
« on: June 12, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »
Awwww has the media been picking on you Tony, there there I'm sure you've done nothing wrong and it's all the fault of the nasty reporters...................yeah right you dishonest little scrote. Is it any surprise that the media have been turning on you after the lies and spin you've been spouting since coming into office.

Tony Blair has said the media can operate like "a feral beast" and its relationship with politicians is "damaged" and in need of repair.
The prime minister said relations had always been fraught, but now threatened politicians' "capacity to take the right decisions for the country".

The arrival of web-based news and blogs and 24-hour television news channels meant reports were "driven by impact".

Mr Blair also said newspaper and TV regulatory systems needed to change.

In a speech to the Reuters news agency on public life, he said the media world was becoming more fragmented, with the main BBC and ITN bulletins now getting half the audiences they had previously and newspapers fighting for their share of a "shrinking market".

He said fierce competition for stories meant that the modern media now hunted "in a pack".

"In these modes it is like a feral beast, just tearing people and reputations to bits, but no-one dares miss out," he said.

'Unravelling standards'

The result was that the media was increasingly "and to a dangerous degree" driven by "impact" which was, in turn, "unravelling standards, driving them down," he said.

Mr Blair, who will step down as prime minister on 27 June, admitted that New Labour's own attempts to "court" and "assuage" the media in the early days of his government may have contributed to the problem.

He said he had tried to have a dialogue with the media, through measures like on-the-record lobby briefings, monthly press conferences and the Freedom of Information Act.

But, he said: "None of it to any avail, not because these things aren't right, but because they don't deal with the central issue - which is how politics is reported."

He said people in public life, from politics to business, sport, the military and charities, found that "a vast aspect" of their job now was coping with the media, "its sheer scale, weight and constant hyperactivity. At points it literally overwhelms".

The difference is that people in other aspects of the public life such as actors and sports figures arent in the position they are in because they have been chosen by the voting public to represent them. And given the way that this government has misused its powers and position, most recently Prescott's junket to the caribbean is it any wonder that the media is all over you?

And he said there was increasingly commentary on the news, which could prove "incredibly frustrating".

Expecting to be rubbished

"There will often be as much interpretation of what a politician is saying, as there is coverage of them actually saying it," he said.

Of course there is, thats because you've put so much spin into everything that you say now that it takes an interpreter to get past the bullsh*t.

The current regulatory system, in which broadcasters and the press were subject to different rules and bodies, would need revision, he said, as internet broadcasting blurred the line between TV and newspapers.

And he said the relationship between public life and the media was in need of repair.

"The damage saps the country's confidence and self-belief, it undermines its assessment of itself, its institutions and above all, it reduces our capacity to take the right decisions, in the right spirit for our future."

Mr Blair concluded his speech by saying he had made it "after much hesitation" and he expected it to be "rubbished in certain quarters", but it "needed to be said - so I've said it".

The associate editor of the Sun newspaper, Trevor Kavanagh, said Mr Blair's comments were rather "sour" and "ill-advised" and out of character.

Out of character my arse, he's finally showing his true character now it doesnt matter anymore. This is Blair without the spin. A petulant child.

He added that Mr Blair and his government had received the most benign coverage of any leader in recent years.

That benign coverage only changed after the self-confessed "mistakes" made in putting the case for the Iraq war, not because of any change in the way the media operated, he said.

Liberal Democrat culture spokesman Don Foster said: "It's easy to blame the press for a loss of trust in politicians; a fairer analysis would point to his own culture of spin.

"Hints at the need for increased regulation of the press are deeply worrying. Politicians may not like what is sometimes written about them, but a free press is the best safeguard for accountability and against corruption and hypocrisy."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Berek

Re: Awwww poor Tony
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 06:32:56 PM »
everyone join in..

"Things can only get better......" drumroll: whistle: drumroll:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:25:33 PM »
everyone join in..

"Things can only get better......" drumroll: whistle: drumroll:
D-ream's career must be down the toilet now...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
If memory serves they broke up before Tony found that song and decided it was the perfect theme for the new labour swindle.

Anyway, once Tony nicked their most famous song it wouldnt have been so much a case of D-ream as Shytemare
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:32:48 AM by Grumpmeister »
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »
If memory serves they broke up before Tony found that song and decided it was the perfect theme for the new labour swindle.
If memory serves me correctly, the female vocalist was babetastic?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »

Cue Berek.  ;)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »

Cue Berek.  ;)
berek - Pah!  point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3W2YtQWDA

Actually, my memory didn?t serve me that well?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Berek

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »

Cue Berek.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1vwKZiDsY4

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »
I declare Berek the winner of this round of "You Tube" and have applauded and smote accordingly
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
ditto

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »