Author Topic: Man Flu  (Read 19837 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Man Flu
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
Man Flu  ::)

I'm sick and tired of this stereotype of men who, on getting a little sniffle, are made out to to be on the death beds whimpering and moaning whereas women always soldier on.

In my experience it's the other way around. At my office more women pull 'sickies' than the men.

And another moan ~ everyone in the office knows who who is pulling a fast one with regular 'sickies' often on a Monday and they always never seem to be unwell when they're at work. Why doesn't the management do something about them.

cussing:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: Man Flu
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Very true Uncle. When I was managing a Customer Services team at my old job, I did a tally of the number of sick days taken by men vs woman. The woman took roughly 3 days off to every 1 taken by men.

And it never ceased to amaze me how "women's problems" also seemed to happen on Mondays or Fridays.

Interestingly, the fewest days sick were taken by the hard drinking/smoking brigade!

You'd have to be a right Duane Kerr to moan about a bit of a cold/sniffle and take time off  ;)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
Indeed you do ~ I saw his plea for remedies too. lol:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
My poor shins...  surrender:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »
In my experience Man Flu is less about the time off and more about the martyr attitude of carrying on even though dying. Maximum sympathy required and moaning worse than usual. I'd be so grateful if Mr Wench and my work colleagues actually did take to their beds rather than requiring ridiculous amounts of lemsip and sympathy.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
I must be an oddity among men ~ when I get a cold I just want to be left alone. I curl up under the duvet and stay there. Anyone who brings a hot drink from time to time will be thanked but it is not actually required and usually gets taken away undrunk. I drink copious quantities of fizzy bottled water and when hungry will happily get up, make toast and go back to bed. What I most crave is peace and quiet and a plentiful supply of cotton hankies (fortunately I have over 100).

Lemsip et al are a no-no for me as they all contain decongestants and people on diuretics cannot take them. Paracetamol is about all I can use to relive symptoms
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:34:09 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »
Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah
Don't you have an Xmas tree to put up?  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »
I must be an oddity among men ~ when I get a cold I just want to be left alone. I curl up under the duvet and stay there. Anyone who brings a hot drink from time to time will be thanked but it is not actually required and usually gets taken away undrunk. I drink copious quantities of fizzy bottled water and when hungry will happily get up, make toast and go back to bed. What I most crave is peace and quiet and a plentiful supply of cotton hankies (fortunately I have over 100).

Lemsip et al are a no-no for me as they all contain decongestants and people on diuretics cannot take them. Paracetamol is about all I can use to relive symptoms
"I can use to relive symptoms"

Sometimes typos tell a good tale. .  ;)

I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »

"I can use to relive symptoms"

Sometimes typos tell a good tale. .  ;)

I'm relieved you think so  redface:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 05:55:39 PM »
 whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
All in all, just as bad as someone who has got real influenza, and then insists on mixing with everyone in a hot hotel because he didn't want to miss out on the fun weekend we've all just enjoyed, sneezing, coughing, spluttering, red eyed, shivering, aching all over, and then is so ill this morning he couldn't even get up for his breakfast. He was then swiftly taken home by his parents in a fairly bad state, to join his real father at his bedside who's been very poorly for 5 weeks now, and now with a severe chest infection. eeek:

I hinted last night that i was less then impressed with him being amongst us all, stating the fact that if I catch it, I'm guaranteed a really bad time due to my 'for life' illness and the hyper active immune system I've got. Bloody selfish little get. cussing:

Anyone got ANY ideas of what I can possibly take to try and irradicate the flu virus I may well have festering inside me now, or am I just going to have to hope for damned good luck over the next 5 days?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
All in all, just as bad as someone who has got real influenza, and then insists on mixing with everyone in a hot hotel because he didn't want to miss out on the fun weekend we've all just enjoyed, sneezing, coughing, spluttering, red eyed, shivering, aching all over, and then is so ill this morning he couldn't even get up for his breakfast. He was then swiftly taken home by his parents in a fairly bad state, to join his real father at his bedside who's been very poorly for 5 weeks now, and now with a severe chest infection. eeek:

I hinted last night that i was less then impressed with him being amongst us all, stating the fact that if I catch it, I'm guaranteed a really bad time due to my 'for life' illness and the hyper active immune system I've got. Bloody selfish little get. cussing:

Keeelll Heeemm!  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
Hanging is too good for 'em  Angry9:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »

Keeelll Heeemm!  evil:

I AM seriously worried tbh. He was defo very poorly, but young enough to fight it off thankfully...for himself.
I'm bloody seething and very pensive, and it's spoiled what was otherwise a very pleasant weekend away.
I've told Mrs GROWLER, and she is also quite worried now too....for me unbelievably. eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 06:18:59 PM »
<Serious Head On>

Do you not have a flu jab every year?

<Serious head off>