Author Topic: Man Flu  (Read 19870 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Man Flu
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
<Serious Head On>

Do you not have a flu jab every year?

<Serious head off>

No. Never. It worries me too much that I may get a dodgy reaction to it, and end up bad. It can happen sometimes apparently, but I'm now wondering if it may have been worth the risk tbh.
Too bloody late now anyway, as it takes several weeks to be of any good effect apparently.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
<Serious Head On>

Do you not have a flu jab every year?

<Serious head off>

No. Never. It worries me too much that I may get a dodgy reaction to it, and end up bad. It can happen sometimes apparently, but I'm now wondering if it may have been worth the risk tbh.
Too bloody late now anyway, as it takes several weeks to be of any good effect apparently.

Indeed ~ I have had one every year for the past 15 and not had flu once. Mrs gets one too as she is asthmatic. She always gets a sore arm and a couple of days of sniffles afterwards. Littlest boy can't because of his egg allergy and, so they tell me, they "grow" the vaccine on egg.
Never known anyone have a serious reaction though but I can undersatnd your concern.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »
BTW both boys have streaming colds now ~ bet I'll have it by tomorrow, I already have the sore throat, though that may be looking after shouting at them all day.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »
I can honestly say - if the tales of what "proper" flu is - that I have never had it. I've had bad colds that seem to take an eon to depart, but I have never been bed-ridden as such.

The only time I was, was the Labyrrithinitus which is an absolute hoot.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »
I can honestly say - if the tales of what "proper" flu is - that I have never had it. I've had bad colds that seem to take an eon to depart, but I have never been bed-ridden as such.

The only time I was, was the Labyrrithinitus which is an absolute hoot.

Take it from me. You'll bloody well know if you've really got it. eeek:
I've had it proper twice in my life, and it is the nearest thing to thinking you're going to die that I've experienced.
It's the bloody time that it takes before you even start to feel as though you're starting to get better too. About 2 weeks of sheer hell iirc
I remember back in '85 living on my own, having to crawl on my hands and knees down the stairs to ring and beg for the quack to come out to see me as I was so bloody terrified.
He just came in through the unlocked door and found me lying down in front of the fire shivering, and said ...."flu, lot of it about. Can't do anything. Drink plenty, rest plenty and ring me if you're no better in a fortnight". ::)

Anyhoo, I'm going to the quaks in the morning, just to see what I can do or take, if anything.
Mrs GROWLER is now fearing I'm talking meself into it. She talks a load shite sometimes too. ::)
I'm rightly worried imo, and should have packed my bags and brought myself right home, not that that would /could have made any difference really. noooo:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:45:47 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
Mr Wench and I had proper flu a couple of years ago. It was terrible and never again will I say I have flu when I don't. Was a completely different kettle of fish.  noooo:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Mr Wench and I had proper flu a couple of years ago. It was terrible and never again will I say I have flu when I don't. Was a completely different kettle of fish.  noooo:

That's what gets my goat. I hear people nearly every day in the winter saying they've 'got the flu'. ::)
My usual response is ..."no you bloody haven't, as you'd be in bed unable to get out of it due to the feeling that every muscle in your entire body is a about to snap, and your head will be feeling like it's going to explode every time you cough

I appreciate that we can all suffer in different degrees, but real influenza is a real and extremely nasty illness that can kill, and does so to thousands every year albeit through secondary infections normally.
I shit myself just thinking about it tbh.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »
Just managed to get through to the quacks after 20 minutes of re-dial. ::)

"Sorry, fully booked up for today for emergencies and for the following fortnight for lesser ailments. Ring back tomorrow at 08:00 if it's an emergency, or if it's not we can book you in for 17th. eeek:

What exactly can be deemed as an 'emergency' I wonder? Bunyon? ::)
Silly me thought 999 was for 'emergencies'.

Stuff it, I'll go to the chemist and buy a barrow load of Vit.D tabs.,and a shed load of garlic from the grocers, keep me fingers crossed, and go to the solicitors to get me will written....just in case like. ;)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 09:49:14 AM »
If you don't have it yet then mega doses of vit C and zinc, plus two weeks of echnicaea.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »
My Grandma died of flu. Mind you, that was in 1918
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »
If you don't have it yet then mega doses of vit C and zinc, plus two weeks of echnicaea.

Isn't that a skin condition?  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »

That's the one.
Mrs GROWLER has just said that too, but apparently you only take it when you know you've got the usual symptoms coming on. confused:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
No dear, although I will accept I may have spelt it wrong.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »

That's the one.
Mrs GROWLER has just said that too, but apparently you only take it when you know you've got the usual symptoms coming on. confused:

Here at the office and at school all staff take echinacea as soon as there seems to be a germ spread. So Mr Wench basically spends most of the winter taking it for two weeks, then two weeks off, then two weeks on. The vitamin C and zinc are supposed to be taken at the appearance of any cold/cough symptoms.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
My Grandma died of flu. Mind you, that was in 1918

Well THAT'S cheered me up, thanks. ::)

Any other little 'nuggets of helpful information' you'd like to share amongst us all? whistle: